Andy Greder PPD via Duluth News: Kenisha Bell

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/s...arted-homeless-minnesota-shes-made-it-her-own

Kenisha Bell was an inquisitive child, and her questions were abundant when her mother moved her and her three brothers from a home in Chicago to a homeless shelter in Minnesota in 2007.

“There was a lot of emotion,” Kenisha recalled of her feelings as an 11-year-old. “I didn’t really want to leave because I didn’t know people here. … I’m very family-oriented. … It was really tough.”

Kenisha now understands her mom’s motives. Within months, the single mother and her children had settled into an apartment in Bloomington, and a peaceful foundation was laid for Kenisha and her siblings to flourish.

Aishia obtained her associates degree in human services from Minneapolis Community and Technical College and now works at UCare, a nonprofit health care company.

“She never gave up,” Kenisha said.

But during lean times during their transition to Minnesota, Kenisha wondered how her mom would pay for basketball when she made the Bloomington Kennedy travel team in the sixth grade.

“I knew that my mom didn’t have the funds for me to play,” Kenisha said. “I was like I don’t know how this is going to work. They worked with her to basically see what they could do to help.”

During her freshman year of high school in 2010-11, Bell was offered a scholarship by then-U coach Pam Borton. “I thought, maybe this is going to be the only one I get,” Bell said. “I just kind of took it right away.”

Brandon, a year older than Kenisha, went to Marquette to compete in track and field after high school, and Kenisha soon followed him to Milwaukee.

“I wanted to be around my bother; somebody that’s positive,” Kenisha said. “I can’t get distracted. He’s going to stay on top of me and push me through.”

But longtime Marquette women’s basketball coach Terri Mitchell, who recruited Kenisha, did not return to coach her freshman season. Despite setting a Golden Eagles freshman scoring record (424 points, 14.5 per game), she decided to transfer to the Gophers and play for coach Marlene Stollings.

We have been blessed to have Kenisha Bell as a Gopher. She has helped spur renewed interest in the team. One of the fastest players and a great rebounder. Hopefully this weekend goes well in Indy.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Top Bottom