What is up with Washington

Good post. IMO Richard at the end of the year needs to come out and go into a lot of detail on why Washington didn't work and admit fault on taking Kimani's guy over Ben Johnson's guy (Wright). A huge miss for Pitino as the head coach. Washington should be getting playing time this year and him not talking about it has bothered me a lot.

That isn't what happened though. We had McKinley on an official visit the weekend before IW's official visit (football games for both). McKinley had every chance in the world to commit and dragged his feet for whatever reason.

Then those weird stories came out about McKinley being very nervous/interested about how IW's official was going etc.

I think it goes back to the issue of style of play. Washington looks like he is more suited for an open-court, fast-paced style. If you're not going to play that style of ball, then why do you recruit a guard like Washington?

Yes - some of this is on Washington for not being able to adapt to the Gophers' half-court game. Obviously, I don't know what Washington was told when he was being recruited, but I find it odd that he would commit to a school if he knew they were not playing a style of ball that suits his game.

I think it goes back to the issue of style of play. Washington looks like he is more suited for an open-court, fast-paced style. If you're not going to play that style of ball, then why do you recruit a guard like Washington?

Yes - some of this is on Washington for not being able to adapt to the Gophers' half-court game. Obviously, I don't know what Washington was told when he was being recruited, but I find it odd that he would commit to a school if he knew they were not playing a style of ball that suits his game.

Offensive style aside, you still have to be able to play defense.

I've had season tickets for 20 years. I've never seen anyone treated here in Minnesota the way Washington has been handled this year. My own conclusion, based on preseason comments made by Rick Pitino and what I have seen this year, is that Washington is in the process of being relocated much as Matz was relocated here by Rick. I think they've offered to assist him in this relocation process in exchange for his positive vibe on the bench.

Richard has major trust issues with his some of his players on the court. Players dont get floor time if he doesnt trust them, and he seems to have trouble getting players to the point that he does trust them. Matz has made some significant contributions - last night he got Bruno into foul trouble incredibly early giving a chance we failed to capitalize on. Why have his minutes been so limited? Pitino seems to want more ideal players, and this has left us with a bench unprepared to play and contribute. Washington is an extreme example of a problem with Pitino's coaching skill set.

You must have inside information, or I must have missed it. I read and follow everything Pitino, or his coaches report about the team. I have never heard any mention that IW is going to transfer. If you do have some inside info, you should share it before you make such a claim. There have been many recruits that have not seen much playing time in the last 20 years. Did you wonder why they didn't transfer. Or is it because IW is a " 4 Star" recruit. And since we don't get many "4 Star " recruits, it must be the coaches fault when they don't pan out.

The major problem is that IW is well below average in three areas (shooting; decision making; and defense) while strong in two areas (passing/vision, ball handling, maybe rebounding). If he were a good shooter OR a good defender, I think he'd see the floor much more than he does. Three weaknesses is just too many for this level of competition.

The book is not completely written on IW and I am hopeful he can make key contributions this year and beyond.

I though when Richard first came he was going to push the ball and play fast- well Washington is that type of player and coffy is better when we run, but now we want to slow it down because we are so good at the half court game??

The major problem is that IW is well below average in three areas (shooting; decision making; and defense) while strong in two areas (passing/vision, ball handling, maybe rebounding). If he were a good shooter OR a good defender, I think he'd see the floor much more than he does. Three weaknesses is just too many for this level of competition.

The book is not completely written on IW and I am hopeful he can make key contributions this year and beyond.

He's improved his defense and decision making imo. Still not passable, but better and reason for hope.

You must have inside information, or I must have missed it. I read and follow everything Pitino, or his coaches report about the team. I have never heard any mention that IW is going to transfer. If you do have some inside info, you should share it before you make such a claim. There have been many recruits that have not seen much playing time in the last 20 years. Did you wonder why they didn't transfer. Or is it because IW is a " 4 Star" recruit. And since we don't get many "4 Star " recruits, it must be the coaches fault when they don't pan out.
Why would he come back? He won't play next year

On Pitino's coaching show a couple weeks ago, Washington was discussed. I believe it was after the Rutgers loss, and Pitino mentioned that Isaiah came in to the game and was tying his shorts and didn't realize the ball was being inbounded and gave up a 3. You can see how a kid gets pulled quickly for something like that, especially if he's been prone to mental mistakes in the past.

How the Washington situation has been handled since the end of last year has been bizarre. I assume we could have landed a good guard last Spring if we made it clear they had a starting spot available to them. Maybe Trey McGowens is here if they promised him a starting spot? Maybe Geno Crandall is here instead of playing a relatively minor role at Gonzaga? If Pitino still thought Washington could be the guy (and he did have some encouraging games near the end of last season), why did he give up on him so early? Even before the season began he was publicly chiding Isaiah for his work ethic in practice. Isaiah was then a reserve on a short lease for much of the season and then fell out of the rotation entirely. Obviously a lot of Isaiah's lack of playing time is on him for the way he's played (and practiced), but it seems like something had to change pretty drastically between the end of last season and the start of Fall practice for the Gophers to get in to this spot with him. There's simply no way you take two sit out transfer guards and don't bring in someone to play if you felt like this type of season from Isaiah was even a possibility.

On a related note, please take a moment to look at Marcus Carr's game logs from Pittsburgh if you get a chance: https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/marcus-carr-2/gamelog/2018

He was a better shooter than Washington was as a Freshman, but he didn't exactly light world on fire either. That's not to say he can't/won't be a good option at PG next year, but that he's by no means a lock to give the Gophers good play at the position next year based only on his track record at Pitt.

Washington is going to be really interesting in a couple of years when he is playing on a team like LIU-Brooklyn. He'll score 18 to 20 a game and they will go 14-19 and finish 7th in the MAAC.

Pitinio decided before the year started he was going to play Coffey at the point. This was stated in October. Was it really because of IW's deficiencies? I don't think so. Personally, I think it's also led to a poor use of McBrayer and I would describe it as an only occasionally successful strategy. If that's good enough for y'all, then fine.

Pitinio decided before the year started he was going to play Coffey at the point. This was stated in October. Was it really because of IW's deficiencies? I don't think so. Personally, I think it's also led to a poor use of McBrayer and I would describe it as an only occasionally successful strategy. If that's good enough for y'all, then fine.

Had IW played 25 min a game, would our record be better? Worse? He had some real stinkers in conference action.

As I was trying to say earlier - (but I'll be more blunt this time) - why recruit a player like Washington if you're not going to play a style that fits his strengths?

IMHO, the best programs have a style, they have a system, and they go out and recruit players who fit that system.

also IMHO, Pitino goes out and recruits players, and then tries to shoehorn them into his system, whether they're a good fit or not.

A less-talented player can seem more effective if used correctly. a more-talented player can seem less effective if not used correctly.

So, some of this is certainly on Washington, but I personally feel that a lot of it is on Pitino and his coaches for 1st recruiting a player who doesn't fit their system, and 2nd, not figuring out a way to get the most out of that player - regardless of his perceived deficiencies.

At this point, if this is how they're going to use Washington, he would be better off transferring, and the Gophers would be better off without him - IF they can replace him with a player who works better in their system.

On the other hand, if they're just going to go out and recruit random player X, and then try to find a role for him after the fact, then what does it matter.

As I was trying to say earlier - (but I'll be more blunt this time) - why recruit a player like Washington if you're not going to play a style that fits his strengths?

IMHO, the best programs have a style, they have a system, and they go out and recruit players who fit that system.

also IMHO, Pitino goes out and recruits players, and then tries to shoehorn them into his system, whether they're a good fit or not.

A less-talented player can seem more effective if used correctly. a more-talented player can seem less effective if not used correctly.

So, some of this is certainly on Washington, but I personally feel that a lot of it is on Pitino and his coaches for 1st recruiting a player who doesn't fit their system, and 2nd, not figuring out a way to get the most out of that player - regardless of his perceived deficiencies.

At this point, if this is how they're going to use Washington, he would be better off transferring, and the Gophers would be better off without him - IF they can replace him with a player who works better in their system.

On the other hand, if they're just going to go out and recruit random player X, and then try to find a role for him after the fact, then what does it matter.

I think they thought IW would grow as a player and fit the system. Maybe he still will. Gophers do in fact like to run (IW's strength) but realities of the B1G hit and IW is not as strong.

You seem to be implying some sort of master conspiracy is at play here. Go ahead and spit out what your theory is please.

We are 4th in pace and use a dribble drive oriented offense that is predicated on driving and kicking or high lows with our bigs. How does IW not fit that? What system should he be in? IW's issue is not being able to play when teams control the tempo (which is bound to happen in the B10). At some point it's probably a part of the player and coaches fault. Also why do we just want to the kid to transfer when he doesn't play? Maybe we should encourage him to grow and develop through some adversity. Also maybe he genuinely likes it here and of course he'd want to play more, but he might value his degree from here and being out of NYC. I just don't think it's as big an issue as others make it out to be. The issue is that both guards failed and that's a fair gripe. It's also why I was not sad to see Kimani go. The one thing we all know is that we don't know anything about the situation as both parties have been good citizens and not spoke negatively publicly.

Frankly, I think Washington fits the system, and when given the reins, has often performed well. It's just that he's not trusted enough to be given run. But when he's worked hard at distributing, he's made the offense look much better. I'd be interested to see some on/off stats on him. Because maybe my eye test is faulty.

Frankly, I think Washington fits the system, and when given the reins, has often performed well. It's just that he's not trusted enough to be given run. But when he's worked hard at distributing, he's made the offense look much better. I'd be interested to see some on/off stats on him. Because maybe my eye test is faulty.

FWIW, Isaiah has the 3rd worst net +/- on the team. Even though he's had some good moments, he has hurt more than helped. Only one scholarship player has a worse +/-.

What connection are you seeing between who plays the point and how McBrayer has been used?

Top Bottom