What is up with Washington

bballjunkie

Reaction score
Anyone know anything? We heard 4 or 5 games ago he was a little hurt but he played a bit the next game. Now he never gets off the bench.

Pitino's job is on the line and he doesn't trust IW. Plus, he doesn't match up well against big teams like Purdue as he has a tendency to just serve the ball up around the rim for someone like Haarms to spike it. If Amir starts struggling or we play the right team, I'm sure IW will get some minutes.

It feels like IW is out the door. Does anyone know how practice goes with Carr matched up against IW? Carr looked really good in the preseason and could be the deciding factor in IW’s decision to stay or go. Coffey playing point a little or a lot would take away any conceivable minutes he might get. We may have a good number of scholarships to fill next year - My wishlist is getting a shooting guard who can actually shoot from the outside and a 4 that can shoot from outside 3 feet from basket.

If Washington transfers we really need to recruit a point guard.

This year we have zero point guards. If we want to compete for a conference title it’d be nice to have a starter plus a backup who could play 10 minutes a game and not embarrass himselfZ

Next years guards: Carr, Cabe, Willis, Williams and Coffey. Were fine. Our 4/5 is where we are super thin.

If you watched the BTN post-game show after the Purdue victory, the in-studio analyst basically said what has hurt the Gophers most is they don't have a true point guard, and it has cost them victories.

Next years guards: Carr, Cabe, Willis, Williams and Coffey. Were fine. Our 4/5 is where we are super thin.

We are fine?

We have one true point guard (Carr)

And our one true point guard is a guy who was listed as shooting guard for a last place ACC team.

We are fine?

And our one true point guard is a guy who was listed as shooting guard for a last place ACC team.

thats one area where you could find a decent juco - at PG

can we trade him for a stretch 4? could've sworn with the way things are going in NCAA sports, we're almost to that point

We are fine?

Our PG situation is much better next year even if IW transfers. Carr is going to be a big upgrade there regardless of what Pitt's record was. Willis is a combo guard who I think primarily plays PG and we may very well add Grant Sherfield.

Our PG situation is much better next year even if IW transfers. Carr is going to be a big upgrade there regardless of what Pitt's record was. Willis is a combo guard who I think primarily plays PG and we may very well add Grant Sherfield.
Don't forget we will still have our current point guard too.

Don't forget we will still have our current point guard too.

I'm just assuming that Coffey will play SF next year. He's playing PG out of necessity this year, but yeah, he adds to the depth there next year.

Forgive me if I don’t believe a SG from an 0-18 ACC team is going to be the savior at PG until I see it.
I hope you’re right

Forgive me if I don’t believe a SG from an 0-18 ACC team is going to be the savior at PG until I see it.
I hope you’re right

I didn't watch Pitt play, but Carr was the clear leader in assists and their local newspaper seems to think he was a point guard: https://www.post-gazette.com/sports...tate-marquette-minnesota/stories/201804200109

Feel free to double down on him not being their point guard, but I promise you that bad teams can have good players. He doesn't need to be the savior, but I fully expect him to be a good point guard for us.

I didn't watch Pitt play, but Carr was the clear leader in assists and their local newspaper seems to think he was a point guard: https://www.post-gazette.com/sports...tate-marquette-minnesota/stories/201804200109

Feel free to double down on him not being their point guard, but I promise you that bad teams can have good players. He doesn't need to be the savior, but I fully expect him to be a good point guard for us.

Double down on what? I’m not betting.
I’m saying we need a Point guard.

We can bank in carr if we want. Even if we have car and he is a capable starter, we need a backup.

Double down on what? I’m not betting.
I’m saying we need a Point guard.

We can bank in carr if we want. Even if we have car and he is a capable starter, we need a backup.

We will have Willis, and if he isn't good enough, Coffey can fill in for 10 minutes. Would be nice to add someone like Sherfield though if IW does transfer.

Regardless, the front court is a bigger concern for next year.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/clU6r6aPVkw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

why does no one aske him about IW

I'm predicting IW sees the floor in the next game. It's a much better match up for him versus the Purdue game.

. . . . This drives me nuts. If you were going to recruit a kid why play him based on match-ups? How about get a kid who will force the match up or require you to adjust? IW has had one nice game ever.

I hope you’re right

I'm with you. Easy to produce stats when your team is getting handled all the time and you are playing against the other team's backups. Let's hope Carr is studly though. He looks good on tape.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/clU6r6aPVkw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Get Nadine to interview him....

What does IW have to do with the upcoming Maryland game?

Ideally we have Carr and IW as PGs next year, but things are rarely ideal.

Ideally we have Carr and IW as PGs next year, but things are rarely ideal.

Disagree.
Need two ball handlers you can play

Coach has clearly shown he isn’t willing to play Washington

Sid thinks he is George Washington.

I've had season tickets for 20 years. I've never seen anyone treated here in Minnesota the way Washington has been handled this year. My own conclusion, based on preseason comments made by Rick Pitino and what I have seen this year, is that Washington is in the process of being relocated much as Matz was relocated here by Rick. I think they've offered to assist him in this relocation process in exchange for his positive vibe on the bench.

Richard has major trust issues with his some of his players on the court. Players dont get floor time if he doesnt trust them, and he seems to have trouble getting players to the point that he does trust them. Matz has made some significant contributions - last night he got Bruno into foul trouble incredibly early giving a chance we failed to capitalize on. Why have his minutes been so limited? Pitino seems to want more ideal players, and this has left us with a bench unprepared to play and contribute. Washington is an extreme example of a problem with Pitino's coaching skill set.

Top Bottom