Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by RememberMurray View Post
    We have 37 of 44 players returning from our 2 deeps on a team that destroyed the Boilers last year.

If anybody picks Purdue ahead of us, I'll be very interested to hear their reasoning.
    I'm not an expert, but I think their reasoning might be this:
    Minnesota is returning 37 of 44 players that lost to Maryland 42 to 13

Quote Originally Posted by hello-world View Post
    I'm not an expert, but I think their reasoning might be this:
    Minnesota is returning 37 of 44 players that lost to Maryland 42 to 13
    I know you're joking around (at least a little), but I think you're 100% correct about the reasoning behind the prediction. This team was, in fact, blown out by teams like Maryland, Nebraska and Illinois — and those are squads that didn't impress anybody last year. In an era when almost everybody goes bowling, the Terrapins, Huskers and Illini stayed home. So, you're right; you have to take those horrific loses into account when appraising the Gophers.

However, when I look at the 2019 Minnesota group (through my spiffy maroon and gold glasses) I see a team that has made some big changes, and made them precisely because of those disastrous losses to also-rans.

The 2018 Gophers — after the 'adjustments' were made — appeared to be a different bunch altogether.
    --------------

"7 National Titles...

... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".

I know you're joking around (at least a little), but I think you're 100% correct about the reasoning behind the prediction. This team was, in fact, blown out by teams like Maryland, Nebraska and Illinois — and those are squads that didn't impress anybody last year. In an era when almost everybody goes bowling, the Terrapins, Huskers and Illini stayed home. So, you're right; you have to take those horrific loses into account when appraising the Gophers.

However, when I look at the 2019 Minnesota group (through my spiffy maroon and gold glasses) I see a team that has made some big changes, and made them precisely because of those disastrous losses to also-rans.

The 2018 Gophers — after the 'adjustments' were made — appeared to be a different bunch altogether.
    The MD game was the first game many thought something was amiss with the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    Going to say it all year, leading up to the season: I'll take 7-5, as a baby step improvement, on the way to bigger and better things.
    Gophers won 7 games last year. 7 wins would not be an improvement this year unless it was 7 plus a bowl win which in that case would be 8 wins.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by die hard gopher View Post
    Gophers won 7 games last year. 7 wins would not be an improvement this year unless it was 7 plus a bowl win which in that case would be 8 wins.
    I don’t think Vegas lines include bowl games or conference title games nor does the original article.

Quote Originally Posted by PMWinSTP View Post
    The MD game was the first game many thought something was amiss with the defense.
    It was no great shakes vs Michigan , WI in 2017. I believe Michigan ran for around 350 which is the signature sign of being prostrate and spread eagled.

Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    It was no great shakes vs Michigan , WI in 2017. I believe Michigan ran for around 350 which is the signature sign of being prostrate and spread eagled.
    Very true. I kind of wrote off those last two games (NW ran for close to 300) but forgot about Mich...couple painfully long runs in that game too. They were so conservative on both sides of the ball in 2017.

RSmith sure had a lot of people buffaloed.

Quote Originally Posted by WinLoseOrTy View Post
    Parlay
    Careful. 9 big10 wins plus conference championship is 10.

Default Crawford: Big Ten win total projections for 2019 season (Minnesota Over/Under: 6)

9-3. 6-3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those last 4 conference games look like a meat grinder!

But no OSU, Michigan or MSU doesn't happen very often. I hope we take advantage.

Blog Entries

We have 37 of 44 players returning from our 2 deeps on a team that destroyed the Boilers last year.

If anybody picks Purdue ahead of us, I'll be very interested to hear their reasoning.
    Because the game is @Pudue, won’t be in a frigid downpour, and take a look at Rossi’s history if replacing Smith.

Not saying it will happen, but the weather in last years game had more to do with the outcome than anything else.

If we want to fix what happened, you need to fire Coyle and Kaler as well.

People are renewing. - Mark Coyle

Quote Originally Posted by caliGopher View Post
    Because the game is @Pudue, won’t be in a frigid downpour, and take a look at Rossi’s history if replacing Smith.

Not saying it will happen, but the weather in last years game had more to do with the outcome than anything else.

I think us being more prepared and better at football had a lot to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Otis View Post
    But no OSU, Michigan or MSU doesn't happen very often. I hope we take advantage.
    I’m sure that’s true, but we have Penn St, which is just as bad. Now if we had Maryland, Rutgers, and Indiana, that would be amazing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bleedsmaroonandgold View Post
    I think us being more prepared and better at football had a lot to do with it.
    I'll give you better prepared. Brohm and Purdue looked like they did not want to be there that night. The didn't show up and we took advantage.

Better at football? Big 10 common opponents:

Iowa
    Minnesota: lost by 10
    Purdue: won by 2

Illinois
    Minnesota: lost by 24
    Purdue: won by 39

Indiana
    Minnesota: won by 7
    Purdue: won by 7

Nebraska
    Minnesota: lost by 25
    Purdue: won by 4

Northwestern
    Purdue: lost by 4

Ohio State
    Minnesota: lost by 16
    Purdue: won by 29

Wisconsin
    Minnesota: won by 22
    Purdue: lost by 3

They won 5 conf. games, we won 3. I would argue that our victory over them was far better than their victories over Illinois and Nebraska. I would also argue that their blowout victory over Ohio State was better than our "playing Ohio State tough through three quarters". I would not equate our victory over Wisconsin (8-5) as on par with their victory over Ohio State (13-1), although I'm still happy about finally beating Wisconsin again.

Against common opponents they won 5 we won 2. Head to head we beat them so that gives us bragging rights. We did not sh!t the bed against a NC foe, they did.

They're clearly not ready for prime time, but neither are we. While our bowl game looked better than theirs, I'm thankful we didn't play Auburn, and played Georgia Tech instead.
    Last edited by caliGopher; 03-18-2019 at 07:42 AM.
    If we want to fix what happened, you need to fire Coyle and Kaler as well.

People are renewing. - Mark Coyle

Quote Originally Posted by caliGopher View Post
    I'll give you better prepared. Brohm and Purdue looked like they did not want to be there that night. The didn't show up and we took advantage.

Better at football? Big 10 common opponents:

Iowa
    Purdue: won by 2

Illinois
    Minnesota: lost by 24
    Purdue: won by 39

Indiana
    Minnesota: won by 7
    Purdue: won by 7

Nebraska
    Minnesota: lost by 25
    Purdue: won by 4

Northwestern
    Purdue: lost by 4

Ohio State
    Minnesota: lost by 16
    Purdue: won by 29

Wisconsin
    Minnesota: won by 22
    Purdue: lost by 3

They won 5 conf. games, we won 3. I would argue that our victory over them was far better than their victories over Illinois and Nebraska. I would also argue that their blowout victory over Ohio State was better than our "playing Ohio State tough through three quarters". I would not equate our victory over Wisconsin (8-5) as on par with their victory over Ohio State (13-1), although I'm still happy about finally beating Wisconsin again.

Against common opponents they won 5 we won 2. Head to head we beat them so that gives us bragging rights. We did not sh!t the bed against a NC foe, they did.

They're clearly not ready for prime time, but neither are we. While our bowl game looked better than theirs, I'm thankful we didn't play Auburn, and played Georgia Tech instead.
    Ahhhh, yes. The old "they didn't want to be there" argument rears its head again. See Georgia Tech in Detroit for another example.

And then there's the "weather" excuse. Too cold and icky for the mighty Boilers, apparently.

Is the weather in West Lafayette really that much warmer/better than the weather in Minneapolis? Is West Lafayette sort of like Miami-in-the-Midwest? I don't know; I've never been to the Purdue campus.
    --------------

"7 National Titles...

... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".