Patch Talks With Nadine Babu, AKA The 'GopherLady'

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Bornhoft:

If Nadine Babu isn't on your list of go-to media personalities for news and opinion on Gopher football and basketball, she should be. The University of Minnesota graduate and superfan is co-owner of GopherHole, a website devoted to covering the Maroon and Gold since the late 90s.

You may know Babu as the "GopherLady" if you're one of the thousand users who frequent GopherHole's popular (and sometimes very rowdy) message board.

When did your passion for Gopher sports begin?

I would say that it was right when I came to college. The very first Gopher basketball game, I absolutely just fell in love with it.

I loved the Barn. I loved the atmosphere. I loved the old building. It was just amazing.

I would say it took a little bit longer with football, playing in the Metrodome and taking the bus there. But that came probably by my sophomore or junior year at the U.

Who is your favorite Gopher player of all time?

My favorite Gopher player of all time is Dusty Rychart. I have always been a fan of the benchwarmers and the walk-ons...[players] that came in as good guys that work hard. Dusty is exactly that person.

He ended up being one of the best players in the Big Ten and one of our greatest players and was just so humble in doing it.

I don't think there is a person that ever met Dusty that didn't like him.

Which Gopher sports stadium has the best fan atmosphere?

I am very biased towards Williams Arena. The Barn is just so special to me. It's probably my favorite place in the world. I mean if I was getting married, I'd want to get married there.
I don't like the new arenas that are very stale, like the Kohl Center. I really like the character that the Barn has.

https://patch.com/minnesota/southwestminneapolis/patch-talks-nadine-babu-aka-gopherlady

Go Gophers!!

Atta' way, Nadine. ... love the swipe at the Kohl (Sterile) Center!

Agree love the barn, as a kid my mom would say your dad has tickets to the Gopher game, if you want to go you better stick around, if he had an extra I would get to go, highlight of the week for me.

Agree love the barn, as a kid my mom would say your dad has tickets to the Gopher game, if you want to go you better stick around, if he had an extra I would get to go, highlight of the week for me.

I see all those memories being created with parents and their kids...memories that last a lifetime!!!

The Cold Center!!! Not. A. Fan.

I’ve been to that mausoleum once in my life, but it’s a Good memory. In winter 2009 I was passing through Madison and knew the Gophers were in town for a game that night. I was having some beers at State Street Brats when the bartendress said she could get me a ticket. Sure!! I ended up standing in the student section. Gophers trailed most of the game, but late in Westbrook began having his way with the skunks and tied it for overtime! And he wasn’t done. He, Damian Johnson, Bostick and Carter pulled out the win. Ski-u-mah! Never been back. Horrible place.
Btw, if you’re serious about this marriage thing at the Barn, lemmeknow. I might be up for something like that.

Top Bottom