Matt Painter

Winnipegopher

Wag more, bark less
Reaction score
I was quite impressed with Painter in the post game interview. Very poised, very articulate and quite fair in his assessment.

Asked about the out of bounds? Didn't see it personally, wasn't sure who it hit. Didn't seem upset by decision (unlike the BTN announcer who saw several magical touches by Coffey).
About reffing? Says felt Purdue got calls in West Lafayette and Gophers got calls in Minneapolis. No whine at all- just noting that home team tends to get benefit of the doubt.

Lots of coaches (looking at you Coach K) could learn from him.

Actually, I thought they could've easily called a foul on Coffey on that play.

I was quite impressed with Painter in the post game interview. Very poised, very articulate and quite fair in his assessment.

Asked about the out of bounds? Didn't see it personally, wasn't sure who it hit. Didn't seem upset by decision (unlike the BTN announcer who saw several magical touches by Coffey).
About reffing? Says felt Purdue got calls in West Lafayette and Gophers got calls in Minneapolis. No whine at all- just noting that home team tends to get benefit of the doubt.

Lots of coaches (looking at you Coach K) could learn from him.

Agree on Painter, He is one of the good ones in the conference. I did not see a touch on that ball by Coffey. Crispin is an idiot. He paints himself into a corner all the time than he doubles down on stupid statements.

Agree on Painter, He is one of the good ones in the conference. I did not see a touch on that ball by Coffey. Crispin is an idiot. He paints himself into a corner all the time than he doubles down on stupid statements.

By the end of that sequence, Crispin wasn't even arguing his original point. He changed his mind and decided it hit Coffey after it bounced once (in-bounds), and forgot about that his initial argument was that it hit his backside before it bounced.

On the 1st couple of replays I thought it was 50/50, but not conclusive. By the time they had showed all the angles multiple times, I'm 100% convinced it did not touch Amir

I almost never listen to coaches' post-game pressers because their answers are typically clipped (especially after a tough loss), they're testy and they provide very little insight. However, I found myself really enjoying Painter last night. He was balanced, insightful and fair. Seems like he'd be a good guy to play for.

Purdue's unexpected contention this year has put a spotlight on Painter, and he's shined.

Agree on all the comments about Painter, very classy. Thought about his comment on comparing the Gophers current NCAA situation to when he was at So Illinois, was humorous and spot on. "They'll be OK as long as they don't lose to anybody", or something to that effect.

There were some bad calls for both sides last night. Murphy's "charge" in the first half when his guy flopped. A foul called on the Gophers on a play under the Purdue basket when a Purdue guy knocked down another Purdue guy.
I do agree with Bruce that Amir could have easily been called for a foul on that play. Man, would that have stunk (free throws and maybe a tie game).

He's one of the best in the conference for sure. His teams always play their butts off and do more with less. Almost always a contender. Great coach

Painter is great. Seems like a really good dude. Players like him. He puts out a solid team and I generally like how they play. I like this years team less because its so much Edwards but they don't have many guys to create for themselves.

Painter is the kind of guy we want (not saying Pitino can't be that) because he could spend 25 years putting out good teams.

when he was first hired I really didn't care for him, but now, I think he's a GREAT coach!

I watched his post game presser and felt the same. Good thorough answers and I really appreciated his point of view on most of what he said.

By the end of that sequence, Crispin wasn't even arguing his original point. He changed his mind and decided it hit Coffey after it bounced once (in-bounds), and forgot about that his initial argument was that it hit his backside before it bounced.

On the 1st couple of replays I thought it was 50/50, but not conclusive. By the time they had showed all the angles multiple times, I'm 100% convinced it did not touch Amir
Yeah....that dude sounded like a real piece of $hit. He immediately called it off of Coffey and then tried to act like the video confirmed it despite the fact that there was absolutely zero video evidence showing that the ball touched Coffey. The other commentator even mentioned that they were watching it replayed on a 14" screen while people at home were probably getting a much better look.

Guy was probably just hoping for wild finish to the game....but wow. I don't think I've ever heard a commentator rally so hard like that. Especially since he was clearly wrong.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yeah....that dude sounded like a real piece of $hit. He immediately called it off of Coffey and then tried to act like the video confirmed it despite the fact that there was absolutely zero video evidence showing that the ball touched Coffey. The other commentator even mentioned that they were watching it replayed on a 14" screen while people at home were probably getting a much better look.

Guy was probably just hoping for wild finish to the game....but wow. I don't think I've ever heard a commentator rally so hard like that. Especially since he was clearly wrong.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I think you are being too hard on Crispin. It happened right in front of him and he had a better view than the ref that made the call. Maybe his eyesight was playing tricks on him, but if it had been called Purdue ball, I don't think the video would have overturned it.

All I know is I was having flashbacks during the review to the 2002 Illinois game when Burleson tossed it out of bounds in the same backcourt.

Senior Night.
Gophers fighting for NCAA life.
Purdue fighting for Big 10 title as was Illini.
1 possession game.
Less than 5 Seconds.

Huge sigh of relief.

I think you are being too hard on Crispin. It happened right in front of him and he had a better view than the ref that made the call. Maybe his eyesight was playing tricks on him, but if it had been called Purdue ball, I don't think the video would have overturned it.

All I know is I was having flashbacks during the review to the 2002 Illinois game when Burleson tossed it out of bounds in the same backcourt.

Senior Night.
1 possession game.
Less than 5 Seconds.

Huge sigh of relief.

Nightmare relived. Awful day in the Barn.

Senior Night.
1 possession game.
Less than 5 Seconds.

Huge sigh of relief.

But he kept referencing the replay showing it hit Coffey.

And then tried to add additional contact with the leg. it was ridiculous. Although I do believe he saw it and thought it hit Coffey. A better commentator would have quickly seen there was no evidence to overturn the original call (which would have been true had they given it to Purdue as well).

Senior Night.
1 possession game.
Less than 5 Seconds.

Huge sigh of relief.

I happened to walk down to court level after the Penn State game and Crispin was wrapping up his telecast. He stuck up a conversation with me and couldn't have been a cooler guy. Loves his job and couldn't be happier about what he does for a living. No bias and no agenda. Last night he was just calling it like he would if was sitting next to his buddy on the couch. Disagree with the previous poster's assessment.

I do agree with the Painter comments. I was impressed with his post-game last night.

Actually, I thought they could've easily called a foul on Coffey on that play.

If you really want to play that part game, then Coffey was blatantly held at the start of the inbound play and a foul easily could/should have been called on Purdue for a hold well before Stull ever tossed the ball up for grabs.

I happened to walk down to court level after the Penn State game and Crispin was wrapping up his telecast. He stuck up a conversation with me and couldn't have been a cooler guy. Loves his job and couldn't be happier about what he does for a living. No bias and no agenda. Last night he was just calling it like he would if was sitting next to his buddy on the couch. Disagree with the previous poster's assessment.

I do agree with the Painter comments. I was impressed with his post-game last night.

Crispin really annoyed me when he was first hired by BTN. I think that was in part because he transferred out of the Big 10 during his playing days, also was too high energy for me.

I've done a 180, actually enjoy him now and agree with your assessment on his enjoyment for his job. I changed my tune after his interview/comments with Joey King after the Maryland upset in 2016.

Crispin is an idiot. He paints himself into a corner all the time than he doubles down on stupid statements.
It could have been worse. We could have had Dan Dakich as colorman. I remember a few years ago, Minn vs.Indiana. Right near the end of the game, Mn had the ball out of bounds. Time out called. Just before play resumed, Dakich chimes in with(paraphrasing), "This inbounds pass has all the makings of an interception." Well the pass wasn't intercepted and Mn won the game. What a class-A tool!

Last edited:

This is kind of what I am referring to. He continued referencing the replay saying that you could see the ball changing trajectory....which you most definitely could not. And then he added in the ball hitting his leg a little later....which looked even less likely. It just seemed odd to have a commentator having THAT strong of an opinion....especially since everyone saw the same replay and he was the only one who thought there was video evidence that the ball went off Coffey. The refs reviewed it and didn't see either of the two contacts that he was 100% on.

This is kind of what I am referring to. He continued referencing the replay saying that you could see the ball changing trajectory....which you most definitely could not. And then he added in the ball hitting his leg a little later....which looked even less likely. It just seemed odd to have a commentator having THAT strong of an opinion....especially since everyone saw the same replay and he was the only one who thought there was video evidence that the ball went off Coffey. The refs reviewed it and didn't see either of the two contacts that he was 100% on.

Yes, his comments on the replay were a very stark example of "fake news". He believed it and wanted it to be true but no one else could see it.

Crispin is an idiot. Flat out admits all they have is a small 14” monitor then says the ball CLEARLY changed directions after it hit Coffey. Then they go to another angle and Coffey was further away then it looked...and others said, he just kept doubling down.

I told my wife half way through the game he’s my least favorite. Seems to love himself too much and many iMessage talks when it’s not necessary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom