Was last night REALLY worthy of a coart stroming? (poll)

Should we have stormed the court?

• Hell Yeah!!!!

Votes: 60 52.6%
  • No, it was just Purdue

Votes: 28 24.6%
  • No, it's dangerous and Haarns should have destroyed that guy.

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • Yes, we needed to, if just for the recruits.

Votes: 15 13.2%

• Total voters
The argument against court storming is exactly what you put in your last sentence. You lose a game and are very emotional, and rightfully so, and some drunk college kid runs up to you and gets in your face and screams F' You! Are you okay with the emotional response that might follow from the player?

It is just a matter of time before there is a really ugly incident and that will probably spell the end of letting fans on the playing surfaces, so enjoy them while you can.

That kind of thing can be monitored by security personnel. The "court storming" doesn't have to be a drunken mob. It can be reasonably safe and orderly. I thought the issue with Haarms last night could have been avoided if he moved his sorry butt a little more quickly, but also if our security was positioned to slow down the crowd getting to the court. It was a minimal issue to begin with.

That kind of thing can be monitored by security personnel. The "court storming" doesn't have to be a drunken mob. It can be reasonably safe and orderly. I thought the issue with Haarms last night could have been avoided if he moved his sorry butt a little more quickly, but also if our security was positioned to slow down the crowd getting to the court. It was a minimal issue to begin with.

So it was the Purdue player's fault he got in the way of the drunk fan. Got it. Next time we're on the road and a drunk fan gets in Pitino's face after a game I trust you'll feel the same way.

Court Storming is fine if the opponent is worthy. #11 I don't know! Circumstances including getting a possible NCAA bid on the line changes it some. I don't have a problem with it when everything is considered.

I am am dead against "Coart Stroming" however!

I think court storming should be reserved for special events - winning a conference title, knocking off a #1-rated team, things of that nature.

if you're going to storm the court after beating the #11 team in a regular-season game, then I think you've lowered the bar for court storming.

Yes, it was senior day. fans did not have to storm the court to stick around and hear from the seniors. could have just packed into the lower bowl and surrounded the court.

and - that game did not "clinch a spot in the NCAA tournament" as someone said. Yes, it will help the Gophers' chances, but there is no way to know that any one win will clinch a spot - unless it's a win in a conference tournament with an automatic qualifying spot on the line. Which would be grounds for storming the court.

I guess it could be monitored by security, but is it? I have seen a lot of court storming and stormed a field and it doesn't appear to be as orderly as you imply it is.

I guess it could be monitored by security, but is it? I have seen a lot of court storming and stormed a field and it doesn't appear to be as orderly as you imply it is.

I didn't say it was, but it could be done. Security keeps the court stormers off the floor until the visitors are in the hallway. The relatively small area of students at the Barn would make it much easier here than places where students are wrapped around most or all of the court. The video from last night didn't show an out of control event happening, although I think security could have been more on the ball and keeping the students off the court until the Boilers were gone. I do agree that court storming in some places is high risk. The handful that I can remember here have all been pretty sedate compared to some. I wasn't at the game, but the images I saw didn't show a lot of risk to players or court stormers. Bottom line is that security has to ensure the safety of the visitors, no question. At least here, I just don't think that's a major security challenge. Banning it altogether strikes me as killjoy and may invite a more aggressive approach by students.

Other than the one idiot pointed out in later videos it looked quite orderly on TV. Like good fun and a nice memory for both our senior players and senior students who haven't had a ton to party about.

I imagine having a raised floor somewhat slows the crush of people storming. A natural sort of fence.

Anyone that bases the court storming on the environment at that game is ridiculous....the place wasn't even sold out....dont know how many gopher games most people have been to but that games is prolly not in the top 100....the one point i did agree with was about the recruits...if that helps turn the tide then cool

I don't think the court storming was about beating Purdue. It was about securing our spot in the Big Dance and a send off for Murphy and McBrayer.

Yep. I had no problem with it.

I would say no since we didn't beat a number 1 but don't think poorly of those that did since it likely has made us a lock for the tourney and was a great way to send off the seniors and show them how much they are appreciated as well as showing potential recruits as well as current members of the team how much fun it is here and how much everyone loves this team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't say it was, but it could be done. Security keeps the court stormers off the floor until the visitors are in the hallway. The relatively small area of students at the Barn would make it much easier here than places where students are wrapped around most or all of the court. The video from last night didn't show an out of control event happening, although I think security could have been more on the ball and keeping the students off the court until the Boilers were gone. I do agree that court storming in some places is high risk. The handful that I can remember here have all been pretty sedate compared to some. I wasn't at the game, but the images I saw didn't show a lot of risk to players or court stormers. Bottom line is that security has to ensure the safety of the visitors, no question. At least here, I just don't think that's a major security challenge. Banning it altogether strikes me as killjoy and may invite a more aggressive approach by students.

Fair enough. I am only interested in the safety factor. So if security can get the opposing players and coaches off safely then have at it.

That win over #10 came with 5 guys playing near 40 minutes when the program was looking like it was ready to die. I stormed the court that night.

I have nothing against storming the court, just wanted to start some conversation on the topic. Hopefully we get a commit or two from the positive energy "THE BARN" had last night!

According to several on this board, Pitino's program was ready to die...lol

It is a conversation point, but the emotions take over and stuff happens

If you care passionately either direction about this you should seek help.

In terms of the actual question.
I don’t think it really matters. So why not?

The idiot fan was swinging like Alfred from Batman. Haarms was never at risk. Much ado about very little.

Didn't see this, they should track down the idiot and ban him from the games.

Its been somewhat a long season with many questions and unknowns creating pent up frustrations. When the Gophers pulled it off last night after losing a close one to Nebraska it was a sigh of relief in beating a team that was challenging for the Big 10 conference. I have no problem with the people storming the court minus the one idiot's behavior.

Yes. Win over #11/#9 team, senior night, lots of recruits in the stands, may have clinched an NCAA tournament birth, almost let the game slip away but fought back, playing with a thin bench.

It was an emotional game with lots of implications. I don't see any problems with it. Especially seeing as how the seniors got to give their speeches on the court surrounded by fans.

Anyone that bases the court storming on the environment at that game is ridiculous....the place wasn't even sold out....dont know how many gopher games most people have been to but that games is prolly not in the top 100....the one point i did agree with was about the recruits...if that helps turn the tide then cool

Were you there?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Considering Dupree's senior-season circumstances, I think the court storm was 100% justified.

Win over #11 and a normal senior night does not warrant a storm.

Last edited:

Agree, he should be banned for life from any Gopher event, what a loser.

I don’t disagree but that solution is a very difficult one to enforce.
Are they going to check 40k ID’s at gopher games looking for the guy?

I love me some Coart Stroming!!! Better than manicotti...[emoji41]

Top Bottom