Was last night REALLY worthy of a coart stroming? (poll)

Should we have stormed the court?

• Hell Yeah!!!!

Votes: 60 52.6%
  • No, it was just Purdue

Votes: 28 24.6%
  • No, it's dangerous and Haarns should have destroyed that guy.

Votes: 11 9.6%
  • Yes, we needed to, if just for the recruits.

Votes: 15 13.2%

• Total voters

Otis

Reaction score
I do not think storming the court was appropriate for beating #11 Purdue. Back in 1976, had we beaten Bobby and Indiana then yes, storm the court. 1978 had we beaten Magic and Kesler, then yes storm the court. When we beat #10 Iowa with the Iron 5, then yeah, storm the court.

It just didn't seem like the epic type of victory to warrant storming IMO.

If you were there I think you’d agree it was worthy. On paper no, but the energy and passion made it feel natural

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haarms should have made a scene, or at the very least had his coaches make a scene in the press conference.

Yes because of Senior Night and the tourney implications. You could tell the players were enjoying it. They deserved that.

The idiot fan not withstanding, sports are supposed to be fun. Last night was fun. Recruits had fun. Seniors had fun. Players had fun. Coaches had fun. Stay off my lawn crowd upset this morning and talking about that more than they are talking about the big win and fun night.

Student here. I personally didn't expect it, but it was about way more than beating an 11th ranked team. It was a high-energy environment for the entire game (which, to be honest, has been lacking in the Barn this year), with tournament implications, on senior night for a player who will likely get his name in the rafters and a guy in McBrayer who's meant the world to the students. Being on the court for the senior speeches was a really cool feeling as well.

I want to vote for more than one.

Haarms should have destroyed that guy
and
Yes, we need to.

I do not think storming the court was appropriate for beating #11 Purdue. Back in 1976, had we beaten Bobby and Indiana then yes, storm the court. 1978 had we beaten Magic and Kesler, then yes storm the court. When we beat #10 Iowa with the Iron 5, then yeah, storm the court.

I agree with you on that...

But...

Although I don't like court-stormings, something I like worse is "criticizing court stormings".

It seems like a manufactured argument propagated by sport-talk radio.

Celebrate or not, and don't question it. Why do we question these things. Let people be emotional, good or bad.

Let kids do what they want. Dupree lost his mom. Jarvis suited up. Lots of emotions on sr night. Big win. Dan Barrerio needs to chill out.

I don’t think the students vote on it, nor does a lot of premeditation goes into the decision. It is a spontaneous reaction that comes out of the emotion of the game.

So it was OK against a number 10, but not against a number 11 to punch our ticket?

Let kids do what they want. Dupree lost his mom. Jarvis suited up. Lots of emotions on sr night. Big win. Dan Barrerio needs to chill out.

When Barrerio rips the students for doing this, and it’s not just here it’s all across the country, he comes across as a dated, bitter old fart. I think when he joked about it the first time 8 yrs ago it may have been funny? But it’s not after the 27th time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But...

Although I don't like court-stormings, something I like worse is "criticizing court stormings".

Celebrate or not, and don't question it. Why do we question these things. Let people be emotional, good or bad.

I agree, quite pretentious and it would fit the DB on the radio to a T if he said it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don’t think the students vote on it, nor does a lot of premeditation goes into the decision. It is a spontaneous reaction that comes out of the emotion of the game.

So it was OK against a number 10, but not against a number 11 to punch our ticket?

That win over #10 came with 5 guys playing near 40 minutes when the program was looking like it was ready to die. I stormed the court that night.

I have nothing against storming the court, just wanted to start some conversation on the topic. Hopefully we get a commit or two from the positive energy "THE BARN" had last night!

Last edited:

I had no problem with the students/young people storming the court after a big win on Senior day. It made the post game senior celebration a little better. Glad that Haarms and Painter were cool about it.

I'm biased because I support a team on campus that even in down years can beat the #1 team home or away on any given night and come out with, "Good win. Keep going."

I hope that one day the basketball team (and football team) are in a position where a win like that produces an answer of, "No, we're the Gophers."

Embarrassing in a sense but they're kids, so...

There needs to be more court storming in college basketball, not less.

No, when they beat Indiana back in 2013 when Indiana was ranked #1 storming the court was appropriate, that was unexpected, I kind of thought they would beat Purdue so not that big of a surprise.

It was senior night, win probably got Gophers in tourney, and hadn't had a storming all year. It was cool. Is it a little slower storming a raised floor?

Gave a chance for the cool scene at the end with the speeches. Would that have even happened with folks filing out after a loss?

It was senior night, win probably got Gophers in tourney, and hadn't had a storming all year. It was cool. Is it a little slower storming a raised floor?

Gave a chance for the cool scene at the end with the speeches. Would that have even happened with folks filing out after a loss?

The speeches would have happened regardless. Just a hell of a lot more fun after a win.

If the fans are excited enough to storm the court, great. Better than "You kids get off my lawn!"

Too bad the athletic department can not market the rafter seats at reasonable rates for families to attend! $20 or so and kids for $5 or so to fill the place!!!

Too bad the athletic department can not market the rafter seats at reasonable rates for families to attend! $20 or so and kids for $5 or so to fill the place!!!

Walk up remaining rafter seats should always be like $8/per. No reason they shouldn't get max participation for every game. Just to increase concession sales if nothing else.

Student here. I personally didn't expect it, but it was about way more than beating an 11th ranked team. It was a high-energy environment for the entire game (which, to be honest, has been lacking in the Barn this year), with tournament implications, on senior night for a player who will likely get his name in the rafters and a guy in McBrayer who's meant the world to the students. Being on the court for the senior speeches was a really cool feeling as well.

Completely agree with this. If this win had happened on any night other than senior night, don’t think it would have been appropriate, but to be out on the court to hear McBrayer, Jarvis, and Murphy talk to the crowd was great. Was a storming more to celebrate the team we have than about who we beat. Even though the student section wasn’t full, it felt like the students there were the ones who really cared about the team.

That said, really wish there was a way to get the other team off the court before the storming. Dumb for the fan to try to get in haarm’s face.

Not a fan of court-storming. Unless maybe you beat a rival ranked in the top 5. But it's pretty low on the list of things I care about. Storm away if you want I guess.

That being said, the dude in Haarms face is a jacka$$ and he's really lucky he didn't get clocked. Credit to Haarms for walking away.

But...

The argument against court storming is exactly what you put in your last sentence. You lose a game and are very emotional, and rightfully so, and some drunk college kid runs up to you and gets in your face and screams F' You! Are you okay with the emotional response that might follow from the player?

It is just a matter of time before there is a really ugly incident and that will probably spell the end of letting fans on the playing surfaces, so enjoy them while you can.

I prefer the coaches poll that had Purdue 9th....many AP Writers opinions are all but worthless

I don't think the court storming was about beating Purdue. It was about securing our spot in the Big Dance and a send off for Murphy and McBrayer.

The idiot fan not withstanding, sports are supposed to be fun. Last night was fun. Recruits had fun. Seniors had fun. Players had fun. Coaches had fun. Stay off my lawn crowd upset this morning and talking about that more than they are talking about the big win and fun night.

Thank you.

Top Bottom