Will these coaches ever lead a Power 5 program again? (Tracey Claeys)

What did Claeys know about the event and when did he know it? The Walk-on JC transfer guy that was at the center of the event was rewarded with playing time after the event (and before he was identified as a party). Claeys can be a fantastic x and o’s football coach but if he rewards that behavior and it reflects poorly on the program, the University, and the whole state, then he is in no way appropriate to be head coach. I was a big Claeys guy - liked him more than Kill. He was in charge of a major embarrassment. The football team is never bigger than the school. Rule one - do not bring shame to the school and state. Rule two is just win, baby, but never at the expense of rule one.

What did Claeys know about the event and when did he know it? The Walk-on JC transfer guy that was at the center of the event was rewarded with playing time after the event (and before he was identified as a party). Claeys can be a fantastic x and o’s football coach but if he rewards that behavior and it reflects poorly on the program, the University, and the whole state, then he is in no way appropriate to be head coach. I was a big Claeys guy - liked him more than Kill. He was in charge of a major embarrassment. The football team is never bigger than the school. Rule one - do not bring shame to the school and state. Rule two is just win, baby, but never at the expense of rule one.

I think Claeys took the stance (some will see it as right, and some as wrong) of innocent until proven guilty. At the time, from his viewpoint, there was an accusation made about something that happened. Maybe he felt like he would withhold judgment/consequences until more was known and the process played out.

Post less often.

I’m a fan that will post as topics of interest arise. This fetish for Claeys and Kill has run its course.

I’ve seen many of your posts over a long period of time. The zeitgeist of your being here is generally reactionary to others, in a very negative way. It’s true I could bring more positivity, and will make that effort. But if this board could improve from anyone stepping back, you would be the leading candidate.

I think Claeys took the stance (some will see it as right, and some as wrong) of innocent until proven guilty. At the time, from his viewpoint, there was an accusation made about something that happened. Maybe he felt like he would withhold judgment/consequences until more was known and the process played out.

An antiquated ideology. Old wave: innocent until proven guilty. New wave: pitchforks. The JUCO kid was the one with video evidence of a consensual encounter. Police investigation led to no charges. Somehow Claeys was supposed to divine what really happened despite that. The expectations some have of have coaches and others is ludicrous.

The police had also investigated and made no arrests, and the city attorney's office twice declined to charge any of them citing insufficient evidence. One restraining order was dropped and the others were lifted when the players and the woman reached a settlement during a recess from that hearing about the ROs, stating the players and the petitioner were to have no contact while she attended the University of Minnesota. In addition, the players agreed not to file civil lawsuits against the petitioner.

What ever Claeys next stop is, we will all wish it is here. Maybe the guy does not want to be a head coach. Maybe he does but he is still young in that respect and is smart, he will make the right decision. lets hope he does not land at Wisconsin, Iowa or Nebraska as the D coordinator. Don't think he would not like to be in the BIG again

The police had also investigated and made no arrests, and the city attorney's office twice declined to charge any of them citing insufficient evidence. One restraining order was dropped and the others were lifted when the players and the woman reached a settlement during a recess from that hearing about the ROs, stating the players and the petitioner were to have no contact while she attended the University of Minnesota. In addition, the players agreed not to file civil lawsuits against the petitioner.

All of what you said. IIRC Coach Claeys also checked in with Coyle, etc. before playing the players in question. What some of us are not talking about is the potential to have backlash for not playing players when the legal system has cleared them. This is where the internal oversight committee has to be able to talk to the Athletic Department and vice versa going forward. Even if Coach Claeys had held out the originally accused players, he would have played six that were not part of the original complaint. Coyle and The EOAA did not object until the report was released. IIRC Claeys suspended certain players twice. He was a rookie coach with no guidance (publicly) provided from the AD.

Coyle wanted and got "his guy". Nothing really wrong with that. I just wish he would have said he felt the program needed to go in a different direction. His less than perfect communication is what has created the mess we see now. If you're gonna take the "high road" then do it.

End of rant!

Go Gophers! Go coach Fleck and Staff!

Why wouldn’t Tracy Claeys get another P5 head coaching job? He went 9-4 in his first full season without an asterisk and has the highest winning percentage of any coach at the U since Bierman. It should be a no brainer, right?

Why wouldn’t Tracy Claeys get another P5 head coaching job? He went 9-4 in his first full season without an asterisk and has the highest winning percentage of any coach at the U since Bierman. It should be a no brainer, right?

An ex Asst. AD told me, "he got fired because he is a big, fat guy and looks terrible standing on the sideline and as the representative of the University. That is the reality." He is a great technician. Technicians don't always make great CEO's.

An ex Asst. AD told me, "he got fired because he is a big, fat guy and looks terrible standing on the sideline and as the representative of the University. That is the reality." He is a great technician. Technicians don't always make great CEO's.
If true that's sad that discrimination against fat people is still a thing.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

If true that's sad that discrimination against fat people is still a thing.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

It’s also true that in college coaching selections there is discrimination against non-charismatic people.

That’s sad

Ending hate and prejudice against the overweight, unattractive, poor smelling is the last frontier of our utopian society.

If Claeys didn't even get a look at Kansas or especially Kansas St, then I'd say his chances of being a P5 head coach again are slim. I really thought he'd get consideration for the K State job, being a native and an alum.

If Claeys didn't even get a look at Kansas or especially Kansas St, then I'd say his chances of being a P5 head coach again are slim. I really thought he'd get consideration for the K State job, being a native and an alum.

Agreed. Maybe in 5 years when one or both programs are looking for a coach again he'd get a sniff. Then some of the stench from what went down (deserved or not) will have faded, he will have more experience, etc. But I still think if he does become a HC it will be at the G5/FCS level.

I think more than likely that Claeys would have to have success at a lower level (FCS, MAC, AAC, etc) before getting another shot at a P5 program. Maybe I'm wrong.

I hope he does get another chance somewhere if that's what he really wants.

I'm surprised folks think he would get any sort of shot at P5 as a HC.

His only shot was an interim job because Jerry quit. I don't belive he was getting P5 HC job offers before that. It was a nice year win total but I don't think anyone really thought much of it.

I just don't think that's much of a resume boost for an HC spot.

I'm surprised folks think he would get any sort of shot at P5 as a HC.

His only shot was an interim job because Jerry quit. I don't belive he was getting P5 HC job offers before that. It was a nice year win total but I don't think anyone really thought much of it.

I just don't think that's much of a resume boost for an HC spot.

I’m not sure why you think he has zero shot.

I’ve seen people cultivate an “extraverted” public persona over time, and I’ve seen the opposite where some that are too loud, boastful, and talkative become more circumspect over time...Claeys, like anyone, can cultivate a public persona and get better at the media stuff.

If he were to drop some weight, get a little more loud he would start to fit more of a typical coach profile that some want. Not everyone sounds like they could be selling mops at the state fair.

Agreed. Maybe in 5 years when one or both programs are looking for a coach again he'd get a sniff. Then some of the stench from what went down (deserved or not) will have faded, he will have more experience, etc. But I still think if he does become a HC it will be at the G5/FCS level.

Again, I think there is zero chance he would entertain a HC offer at FCS or lower, and G5 would most likely have to one of the few programs who could pay him.

Back to OP.

No. Doesn't have the team manager, game manager, roster manager or national level leadership abilities.

So no.

Back to OP.

No. Doesn't have the team manager, game manager, roster manager or national level leadership abilities.

So no.

Badmouthing a former coach. What a “fan” you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to OP.

So no.

Wow. With all of that going against him, it's nothing short of miraculous that he won 9 games in a season here at Minnesota — where 9 wins in a season has been pretty rare!

He must have been extremely lucky, I guess.

Top Bottom