Will these coaches ever lead a Power 5 program again? (Tracey Claeys)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Harrington:

Tracey Claeys: He was an established Defensive Coordinator who stepped into the head coach position in the middle of Minnesota’s 2015 season. Jerry Kill took an indefinite leave of absence, due to struggles with epilepsy. From that point on Claeys coached 19 games with the Golden Gophers. He finished with an 11-8 record, including a 9-4 campaign that included a bowl win. However, he was fired for standing behind his teams’ boycott in support of several of Claeys’ players accused of sexual assault. The move was controversial and the embattled coach had very little support. It’s no surprise that Kill’s recent remarks about current Minnesota Coach P.J. Fleck maybe had something to do with the University’s fallout with Claeys’. After all it was Kill who was perfectly fine with Clayes being his successor. Despite Claeys’ shortcomings, he’s on the right path to becoming a Power 5 Head Coach again. Mike Leach hired Claeys as his Defensive Coordinator at Washington State after Alex Grinch accepted an assistant position at Ohio State. What’s ironic about the entire ordeal is the last team Claeys played against as Minnesota’s Coach was Leach’s Cougars. It’ll be interesting to see how Claeys’ experiment goes with the Air Raid wizard.

https://stayaliveinpower5.com/2019/03/06/will-these-coaches-ever-lead-a-power-5-program-again/

Go Gophers!!

At a G5 school maybe. I don't see it happening at a P5 school though.

Not going down the rabbit hole again of exactly why Claeys was fired (more to it then just standing with players during boycott). If he wants to be a head coach I would think he will get an opportunity at some point at however I won't be shocked one bit if Claeys never returns to being a head coach. I just don't think he has the desire to be in the head spot and is very willing to be a high level position coach.

On a side note, I would love to see us hit a point where we stop posting updates involving Kill/Claeys or former members of that staff. We don't really track Brewster or Mason's guys anymore. Need to close the book on that chapter of Gopher history and look to what is hopefully a bigger and better future for Gopher football.

He just doesn't seem to be right for an HC job. DC is his prime spot and he is great at it.

Not going down the rabbit hole again of exactly why Claeys was fired (more to it then just standing with players during boycott). If he wants to be a head coach I would think he will get an opportunity at some point at however I won't be shocked one bit if Claeys never returns to being a head coach. I just don't think he has the desire to be in the head spot and is very willing to be a high level position coach.

On a side note, I would love to see us hit a point where we stop posting updates involving Kill/Claeys or former members of that staff. We don't really track Brewster or Mason's guys anymore. Need to close the book on that chapter of Gopher history and look to what is hopefully a bigger and better future for Gopher football.

I understand your side note, but I don't see it happening. I think there is always going to be a "what if..." question around Kill and Claeys. Had Kill remained healthy, where would this program be? Had Claeys not been fired, where would this program be? If Claeys does get another HC position and succeeds, would that have happened here? Etc. Both runs were ended in very odd fashion, which to me will make this argument stick around longer than Mason/Brewster (which for the record just finally died out a couple years ago). Unless Kill finally just goes away (doubtful) and Claeys retires (doubtful), this question will stick around a long time.

Regarding Claeys, if he wants to be a HC again (not sure he does), I would think he'd have to have a stint at G5 or FCS before going back to Power 5. If it was going to happen, K State was the place and they hired someone else.

I just can't imagine a Power 5 AD looking at what went down and not thinking that Claeys was openly insubordinate toward Coyle (whether that was the case or not, most would see it that way), thus not wanting to take a risk on him. Fundamentally, there are just too many other choices to go after that don't have that flag. A lower level school that maybe doesn't have the same access to better coaching choices I could see giving him that shot.

Would have to be the perfect fit. Probably with an AD that knows him and likes him.
Because of how he handled that situation most ADS and presidents would be worried about hiring a guy who publicly went against his last administration

I understand your side note, but I don't see it happening. I think there is always going to be a "what if..." question around Kill and Claeys. Had Kill remained healthy, where would this program be? Had Claeys not been fired, where would this program be? If Claeys does get another HC position and succeeds, would that have happened here? Etc. Both runs were ended in very odd fashion, which to me will make this argument stick around longer than Mason/Brewster (which for the record just finally died out a couple years ago). Unless Kill finally just goes away (doubtful) and Claeys retires (doubtful), this question will stick around a long time.

Regarding Claeys, if he wants to be a HC again (not sure he does), I would think he'd have to have a stint at G5 or FCS before going back to Power 5. If it was going to happen, K State was the place and they hired someone else.

I just can't imagine a Power 5 AD looking at what went down and not thinking that Claeys was openly insubordinate toward Coyle (whether that was the case or not, most would see it that way), thus not wanting to take a risk on him. Fundamentally, there are just too many other choices to go after that don't have that flag. A lower level school that maybe doesn't have the same access to better coaching choices I could see giving him that shot.

Spot on on all of this

He's been a HC and DC at two P5 programs. I think there is close to zero chance he would take or even entertain the possibility of an FCS HC position, and probably only a handful of G5 programs that could pay him close to what he makes as P5 DC. If he does have P5 HC opportunities in the future, it will be based on how he performs as DC at WSU. Doesn't hurt being in a program that runs an offense wildly different than what he's been exposed to over his career.

Take a look at it from another angle.

Does TC's resume really scream "P5 HC!"?

I don't think it does. An interim stint with some mishandling of PR ****, questionable AD and HC interactions (that is the guy who has to hire you....), some critical game issues, a nice upset win in a low level bowl, some good "diamond in the rough" but nothing to write home about as far as crooting ..... that's just not an impressive resume for P5 HC work.

I like TC, he's a great DC, but if I didn't know him better and MN hired him as a HC.... I'd have SERIOUS reservations about his resume as far as HC work goes.

Take a look at it from another angle.

Does TC's resume really scream "P5 HC!"?

I don't think it does. An interim stint with some mishandling of PR ****, questionable AD and HC interactions (that is the guy who has to hire you....), some critical game issues, a nice upset win in a low level bowl, some good "diamond in the rough" but nothing to write home about as far as crooting ..... that's just not an impressive resume for P5 HC work.

I like TC, he's a great DC, but if I didn't know him better and MN hired him as a HC.... I'd have SERIOUS reservations about his resume as far as HC work goes.

I mean, we have an AD that horribly mishandled the situation and aftermath, and can’t communicate to save his life....still employed at a P5 school. But yes, I agree TC isn’t flashy or loud.

I mean, we have an AD that horribly mishandled the situation and aftermath, and can’t communicate to save his life....still employed at a P5 school. But yes, I agree TC isn’t flashy or loud.

From your perspective. From the perspective of an admin TC was insubordinate in a public forum.

Even if another AD thought Coyle played it wrong, are they going to hire a coach that is going to publicly be insubornate if they ever play something wrong?
I don’t think they will unless they know TC personally and like him

You’re projecting. Does Mike Leach worry about insubordination? Unlike some guys, Claeys has some principles he’s willing to suffer flack for. Admirable trait, even if you personally disagree.

From your perspective. From the perspective of an admin TC was insubordinate in a public forum.

Even if another AD thought Coyle played it wrong, are they going to hire a coach that is going to publicly be insubornate if they ever play something wrong?
I don’t think they will unless they know TC personally and like him

If Bobby Petrino can get hired as a HC after the train-wreck he created...

If Bobby Petrino can get hired as a HC after the train-wreck he created...

No question Claeys can get hired again.
All it takes is some admin that know him and think he can get the job done.

There is a reason Petrinos next job after Arkansas were at places he had connections

You’re projecting. Does Mike Leach worry about insubordination? Unlike some guys, Claeys has some principles he’s willing to suffer flack for. Admirable trait, even if you personally disagree.

Mike Leach isn’t an admin. Admin would think completely different about hiring the face of a program than a head coach would think about hiring a coordinator. This is the exact same logic that has caused a guy with Leach’s success to top out at Texas Tech and Washington state as job locations. Admin are sfraid of him. I think admin would be afraid of Claeys. Why would I hire a good DC with baggage when I can hire a good DC without baggage unless I know the guy?

Claeys has a 0% chance of being a head coach at a place where he doesn’t already have a good relationship with someone’s in the administration.

Last edited:

I seriously doubt Claeys has any interest in becoming a HC again. I think he knows his stuff as a DC and if he makes another move, it will be to a helmet school as DC. This is the position he is happy in based on his looonnnggg tenure as DC under Kill without ever trying to move up.

I seriously doubt Claeys has any interest in becoming a HC again. I think he knows his stuff as a DC and if he makes another move, it will be to a helmet school as DC. This is the position he is happy in based on his looonnnggg tenure as DC under Kill without ever trying to move up.

That might be true. If it is true, it was a really good decision to get rid of him ImO

Not good to hire a guy who doesn’t really want the job.

That might be true. If it is true, it was a really good decision to get rid of him ImO

Not good to hire a guy who doesn’t really want the job.

Wow...what a really odd reading into that post.

I've always suspected that because he was with Kill for so long TC didn't have as much of a "network" out there, otherwise some top school with a good offense but crappy defense would have scooped TC up already.

The only downside for that is croot'n. TC hasn't brought in big name talent on the defensive side, a big school might worry that his tactics might be good but his ability to bring in that next level of talent might not be there.

Claeys is a top notch coordinator... Given he was comfortable staying in that role so long with Kill... I agree it’s unlikely he wants the stresses and pressures associated with being HC (especially given how his time here ended).

I for one hope he does, would be fun to follow his career.

Could he get another HC gig? Sure. Would he succeed? Not a chance. The guy is up there with some of the best defensive coaches in the country but he can’t sell water to a whale.

Would have to be the perfect fit. Probably with an AD that knows him and likes him.
Because of how he handled that situation most ADS and presidents would be worried about hiring a guy who publicly went against his last administration

Southern Illinois?

The guy is up there with some of the best defensive coaches in the country <b>but he can’t sell water to a whale.</b>

Why on earth would a whale need to buy water? They live in water dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since it was brought up:

some say Claeys was "insubordinate" to his bosses. But, you could also spin that as a Head coach standing up for his players when he thought they were being treated unfairly by the administration.

If I was an AD, I would be concerned about a Head Coach who didn't stand up for his players. that's his job. A coach who prioritizes pleasing the boss over standing up for his players would really give me pause.

it's all in how you look at it.

Back to the main point: I think Claeys could be successful as a head coach in the right situation. he would need a supportive AD, and a really good recruiting coordinator on staff. Just let Claeys deal with football. I suspect he learned at lot of MN.

Since it was brought up:

some say Claeys was "insubordinate" to his bosses. But, you could also spin that as a Head coach standing up for his players when he thought they were being treated unfairly by the administration.

If I was an AD, I would be concerned about a Head Coach who didn't stand up for his players. that's his job. A coach who prioritizes pleasing the boss over standing up for his players would really give me pause.

Back to the main point: I think Claeys could be successful as a head coach in the right situation. he would need a supportive AD, and a really good recruiting coordinator on staff. Just let Claeys deal with football. I suspect he learned at lot of MN.

You can view it however you want, but an AD is going to view it like an AD

Since it was brought up:

You can stand up for your players, but do it behind closed doors and not publicly. Any boss whose employee publicly stated this has to terminate.

It is highly unlikely Claeys will get an HC role in P5, and he shouldn’t. His resume is underwhelming. D coordinator at Minn and WSU is not the same as D coordinator at some higher level programs. He may get other coordinator roles.

He will also never win the interview process. That process is flawed because it produces duds like Brewster, but Claeys too is a dud. His in-game management was buffoonish when he had his shot here, which never should have occurred in the first place. It is a very good thing that he and Kill are no longer with the program.

It is highly unlikely Claeys will get an HC role in P5, and he shouldn’t. His resume is underwhelming. D coordinator at Minn and WSU is not the same as D coordinator at some higher level programs. He may get other coordinator roles.

He will also never win the interview process. That process is flawed because it produces duds like Brewster, but Claeys too is a dud. His in-game management was buffoonish when he had his shot here, which never should have occurred in the first place. It is a very good thing that he and Kill are no longer with the program.

Post less often.

Top Bottom