We need a Stockman and Stull thread!!!

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Wow did these seniors pick a great game to have the best Gopher game of their career!! And props to Pitino for sticking with them.

Stockman finished with 9 points, 7 blocks and 6 rebounds!!

Stull finished with 6 big rebounds and 4 points and some critical minutes for us.

What a fun night!!

Go Gophers!!

MVP! MVP!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amen Bleed! They really stepped up and I credit Pitino for recognizing the Matz was the better play tonight after Oturu’s early struggles.
I am trying to remember who Brock was guarding. Gabe played good d as usual but Edwards is so quick going to the hoop and drawing contact.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Both those guys are going to need to repeat this in order to build on this and make a memorable run the next few weeks. Why not!?

Stockman is going to be huge for us the rest of the way here. he was fun to watch last night.

im still not a big Stull fan but he played well last night

Happy for both as it obviously benefited us greatly last night and a great memory for both of them on their senior nights. I'd still rather see both on the floor as little as possible, though.

Need these guys to step up like this for the rest of the season. No Curry or Hurt. IW largely ineffective, didn’t even play vs Purdue, looks like they’re shutting it down this season.

40 minutes, for the next 40 years of your life!

Amen Bleed! They really stepped up and I credit Pitino for recognizing the Matz was the better play tonight after Oturu’s early struggles.
I am trying to remember who Brock was guarding. Gabe played good d as usual but Edwards is so quick going to the hoop and drawing contact.

I thought Gabe defended ok. A couple phantom foul calls didnt help. Theme of Boiler fans is the unfair reffing of course. Not so much the last play but the game in general. Feel Edwards gets mugged.

Happy for both as it obviously benefited us greatly last night and a great memory for both of them on their senior nights. I'd still rather see both on the floor as little as possible, though.

I understand this thought with respect to Stull. He is not quick enough on defense, isn’t a good ball-handler and makes too many bad passes. He is a very good shooter, though. However, I completely don’t understand this comment regarding Matz. He has played fairly well when he has been given the chance. He played GREAT last night. Before he even played his first game as a Gopher, people on this board were ripping on him and comparing him with Bakary and Gaston. He plays calm and under control. He doesn’t try to do too much. He blocks shots. He has a nice touch around the basket. He isn’t all-Big 10, but he has played better than most Center’s we’ve had around here lately. What games have you been watching, because they sure haven’t been the same ones I have seen.

I understand this thought with respect to Stull. He is not quick enough on defense, isn’t a good ball-handler and makes too many bad passes. He is a very good shooter, though. However, I completely don’t understand this comment regarding Matz. He has played fairly well when he has been given the chance. He played GREAT last night. Before he even played his first game as a Gopher, people on this board were ripping on him and comparing him with Bakary and Gaston. He plays calm and under control. He doesn’t try to do too much. He blocks shots. He has a nice touch around the basket. He isn’t all-Big 10, but he has played better than most Center’s we’ve had around here lately. What games have you been watching, because they sure haven’t been the same ones I have seen.

Totally agree! Matz puts out effort, moves to the open spot and delivers when he is fed the ball for the easy bucket. Stull? I have little confidence in him, just can't believe we can't find minutes for Hurt instead of Stull.

I have wanted Matz to play more and Curry less for some time.

I also think Matz should get some more run. He is a pretty solid player and I think he has played pretty well all year long. Stull, I still don't think he is worth of much PT, but he had a fairly solid game last night.

They will really need Matz to step up in these next few games. I think as a bench player, you can't ask for a ton more. Not sure why he hasn't gotten more PT this season.

My only regret is that Matz didn't get to dunk on that steal he had. Him dunking is awesome. His teammates clearly love him and he was a huge reason the Gophers won last night.

Still did some really good things. Some hustle plays. One in which there was a lose ball and he got fouled as he grabbed it. Ended up hopping off the court. Fans went nuts. Made both free throws.

Stockman knows his role. Wish he would have gotten more play in middle of the schedule. He looked pretty good earlier in the year. Nice to see seniors and Coffey in to close out game.

Weird assessment.

Matz is a better option than the banged up Curry we were getting all year. At least with Matz you are not going to see every big 6'8 or bigger enter instant offense mode in the post.

IW chimes in:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Let us NOT forget, that Matz voluntarily left the program in order to make room for the North Dakota transfer, and when that guy turned his back on Pitino at the last second, Matz was willing to let it slide and came back to the Gophers!

He did play great last night, no questions asked about that, not debating it.

You asked me what games I've been watching this year, I'd counter with the same to you. Matz had solid stretches (for a few minutes) against Oklahoma State, Iowa and then obviously last night was an out of this world performance for him. That's about it as far as real positive minutes we've seen from him this year to be honest. You claim he has good touch: How many times has he scored this year that weren't dunks? Maybe 5 times? He blocks a lot of shots? He did last night, has he throughout the year? Not really, I'd argue he contests a few shots here and there but outside of last night he wasn't actually blocking shots, which of course you can say is valuable too, not disagreeing with that.

Is he better than the Bakary's and Gaston's of the world? Of course. Did he play great last night? Absolutely. Would I want to give Matz extended minutes? Not really. The Curry injury obviously forces our hand so not much we can do there. I guess more than anything, he had a great performance last night and he deserves a ton of credit for it. But we've been seeing posts all year about how he should play extended minutes and I guess I don't see why outside of a 5 minute stretch against those two other opponents I mentioned earlier.

He's going to play more now without Curry, we'll see if he can put together decent performances going forward, I'm just not buying it.

He's going to play more now without Curry, we'll see if he can put together decent performances going forward, I'm just not buying it.

This is valid. But I am rooting for him to prove you wrong! If for nothing else, than we need him to! Oturu can't do it all himself. Not fair to ask a freshman to do that.

Stockman knows his role. Wish he would have gotten more play in middle of the schedule. He looked pretty good earlier in the year. Nice to see seniors and Coffey in to close out game.

A big problem with Pitino in my opinion is him giving up too quickly on some of the bench guys. They make a mistake and he takes them out right away. It's hard for any player to play well when their minutes are so limited and they feel like they will get pulled the second they make a mistake.

Trying to remember why Stockman transferred to Cal and then came back. Did they not have a scholarship for him once he went there? He is quite a bit better than Konate and Gaston.
During the Senior day intros they said his father was no longer living. Seems like a good kid.

Let us NOT forget, that Matz voluntarily left the program in order to make room for the North Dakota transfer, and when that guy turned his back on Pitino at the last second, Matz was willing to let it slide and came back to the Gophers!

Thanks! I couldn’t remember how that went down.

Is that right? I'm pretty sure that is all speculation. Unless you heard that from Pitino himself. And not true

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That was the writing on the wall on GH, back when Geno turned his back on us. Made too much sense.

Trying to remember why Stockman transferred to Cal and then came back. Did they not have a scholarship for him once he went there? He is quite a bit better than Konate and Gaston.
During the Senior day intros they said his father was no longer living. Seems like a good kid.

His father passed away 2 years ago, I believe, before he came to the Gopher program. He was heading to Cal to make room for Geno Crandall, who all but committed to Pitino before signing with Gonzaga. Matz was doing extra work in the summer to be eligible at Cal, but something with the paperwork or credits didn't work out so when the spot became open again here, he took it back. He never actually left Minnesota. Weird situation, but he handled it very well.

Top Bottom