Should Coughlin Stay at Edge

I believe he did play a little LB in the bowl game.

With the versatility of CC and then add in Winfield who can do a ton of hybrid type of stuff too, I think we're going to throw lots of different looks at teams next year. CC is going to be lined up all over the place.

Thinking that he's actually 245 is just falling for the bait we talked about in the lying about measurables thread the other day. He is among a few that is definitely not actually the size he's listed at on that roster.

At the NFL level though, CC is going to be a stand up OLB and edge rusher, probably for a team that primarily goes 34 looks. I have zero doubts about that.

I don't think he looked 245 last year. I could be wrong, sometimes it's perspective (seeing him stand by OT a lot and that he's 6'4"), but I thought he looked smaller than Barber and Martin.

He's taller and has a longer look. Stood behind him at the Fall practices...he looked every bit of 245. Plus Barber is a built thick like a fire hydrant from the waist down.

Carter is a really good football player and he will succeed pretty much anywhere we put him on defense. As to where he plays next year, I think it will have a lot to do with the other guys on the roster. If we can find a couple of good defensive ends that can put consistent pressure on the QB then you slide Carter back to LB and let him rush from there.

On a lot of the highlights in the video that was posted he uses his speed to work out around the tackle and back to the QB. Imagine what he could do with a solid D-Line in front of him occupying the O-line and allowing him to shoot the gap right up the middle. But that only works if we have good options at DE, and that has not been the case for a while here, which is why he is playing DE in the first place.

He is a great chess piece for Rossi to have and I am sure he will figure out the best spot to deploy him from.

+1

I'm pretty sure there was an interview posted on here during the season where he talked about his inability to keep on weight. It was something to the effect of him being listed at 245, but that he really struggles to keep his weight above 225 or so during the season. The idea that he's suddenly going to be 250-260 lbs. (legitimately, not on paper) after 3 years in a strength program is a pipe dream.

I could give him a few pointers, I have got that "keeping on the weight" perfected.

Von Miller: 6-3, 250
Khalil Mack: 6-3, 252

These are the two best 3-4 OLB’s the league. Coughlin is absolutely big enough to be a 3-4 edge rusher in the NFL.

Also first round pick TJ Watt: 6-4, 252. Danielle Hunter: 6-5, 252. All these guys were slightly lighter in college as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no way Watt and Hunter are only 7 pounds heavier than Coughlin. I don't think Coughlin is big enough to play DE, but I agree that he can be a 3-4 OLB/edge rusher.

There is no way Watt and Hunter are only 7 pounds heavier than Coughlin. I don't think Coughlin is big enough to play DE, but I agree that he can be a 3-4 OLB/edge rusher.

Watt was listed at 243 in college. Hunter listed at 240.

At his current size, I just don't see Coughlin as a DE in the pros. If his best role is edge rusher, then he probably slots as an OLB with a 3-4 team.

We've seen what he can do as a DE. Just out of curiosity, if for no other reason, I really want to see what CC looks like at OLB. Maybe it turns out he's less effective at LB than he is at DE, but if they don't try it, we'll never know. And the pro scouts will never know.

Keeping CC at DE may ultimately hurt his pro options.

An EDGE is an OLB in the 3-4 scheme. you're talking about the same thing.. plus, in the modern NFL, most defenses play in the nickel since there is so many 3-WR sets, so most teams that run the 3-4 have their OLB play with his hand in the dirt anyways

There is no way Watt agnd Hunter are only 7 pounds heavier than Coughlin. I don't think Coughlin is big enough to play DE, but I agree that he can be a 3-4 OLB/edge rusher.

Don’t let facts get in your way...

From NFL Combine:

TJ Watt 6-4 252
Danielle Hunter 6-5 252.

I guess everyone involved lied.

Don’t let facts get in your way...

From NFL Combine:

TJ Watt 6-4 252
Danielle Hunter 6-5 252.

I guess everyone involved lied.

I believe Keyser is disputing Carter's listed weight. Many believe he isn't 245.

Correct. I wasn't doubting the combine measurements. I don't know how much Coughlin weighs, but I'd bet money that it is more than 7 pounds lighter than Hunter.

Last edited:

Top Bottom