Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Should Coughlin Stay at Edge

I was just checking out a mock draft after the NFL combine and it has "Edge" players projected as 4 out of the top 8, 6 out of the top 14 and 7 edge players going in the first round! I know everyone wants to see CC move back to his "natural" position of LB, but with so many teams valuing "Edge" players so highly, he might want to stay on the edge (I assume that is what he was playing).

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ctions?#slide0

To early to speculate on this one. Need to see how all the pieces come together by the end of spring or this summer if necessary. Personally I believe he has demonstrated what he can do on the edge so no more need to audition for that spot in the pros. Furthermore he could place both positions this fall on occasion.

He'll get pushed around unless he can add about 25 lbs of good weight.
    Attention: If the above comment sounds puzzling, adjust your sarcasm setting and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    For you are one of the chosen ones, my son. Please carry my other messages forward and spread them across the land.

Thou shall not root for the Badgers under any circumstances, whatsoever. Doing so will bring upon my wrath and you suffer from the same plague of obesity, stupidity, and ugliness of the one who leads the razorbacks.

Why do people still say traditional LB is his "natural" position? It never was and he is about as prototypical of an edge rusher as you can get at this level.

Anyways, Burns seems to think he will get more snaps on the edge next year than at LB but will still play both. I think it all depends on how Rush looks because right now I feel better about DE with Delatiboudere, Ottemewo and Mafe than I do with Rush at OLB but we will see.

Looked pretty darn good last year on the edge.

At his current size, I just don't see Coughlin as a DE in the pros. If his best role is edge rusher, then he probably slots as an OLB with a 3-4 team.

We've seen what he can do as a DE. Just out of curiosity, if for no other reason, I really want to see what CC looks like at OLB. Maybe it turns out he's less effective at LB than he is at DE, but if they don't try it, we'll never know. And the pro scouts will never know.

Keeping CC at DE may ultimately hurt his pro options.

There is no rule saying he may only play on the DL or as a backer, for a whole game.

In obvious passing situations, rush him from the edge, and let him get sacks. When it's not obvious passing situation, it would be appropriate to use traditional DE with more beef, and their hands in the dirt.

I agree he could be an effective edge rusher in situations. The average weight of an NFL DE is around 280. That's 35 lbs more than his listed 245 lbs. No NFL team would take him seriously as strictly an edge rusher unless he gets significantly bigger and stronger. End of discussion.
    Attention: If the above comment sounds puzzling, adjust your sarcasm setting and try again.

For you are one of the chosen ones, my son. Please carry my other messages forward and spread them across the land.

Thou shall not root for the Badgers under any circumstances, whatsoever. Doing so will bring upon my wrath and you suffer from the same plague of obesity, stupidity, and ugliness of the one who leads the razorbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers7NatTitlesBadgers0 View Post
    I agree he could be an effective edge rusher in situations. The average weight of an NFL DE is around 280. That's 35 lbs more than his listed 245 lbs. No NFL team would take him seriously as strictly an edge rusher unless he gets significantly bigger and stronger. End of discussion.
    Wasn't Bryce Paup an edge rusher? Think he played around 250lbs. Jared Allen was 265lbs. Some of this year's top edge prospects: Nick Bosa is 260, Montez Sweat is 260, Ben Banogu is 250, Brian Burns 249.

Maybe not that far-fetched that Couglin is big enough.

Jared Allen was a 4-3 DE. Paup was a 3-4 OLB. I think you guys might be getting your positions mixed up. An edge rush player is basically a 3-4 OLB in the pros. DEs in a pro 3-4 usually go between 280 and 300 and I don't think Coughlin will get that big. Coughlin's likely position at the next level will be as an OLB in either a 4-3 or 3-4. Coughlin appears to play a hybrid position for the Gophers in that he lines up at DE but plays a lot like on OLB in certain situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Gophers7NatTitlesBadgers0 View Post
    Lets see: top 2019 Edge prospects

Nick Bosa. 63. 265
    Josh Allen. 65. 260
    Rashan Gary. 64. 277
    Montez Sweat. 66. 260
    Clelin Farrell. 66. 264
    Brian Burns. 65. 249
    Jaylon Ferguson. 65. 259

Data from the NFL combine site

Cater is 64. 245

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by alchemy2u View Post
    Let’s see: top 2019 Edge prospects

Nick Bosa. 6’3. 265
    Josh Allen. 6’5. 260
    Rashan Gary. 6’4. 277
    Montez Sweat. 6’6. 260
    Clelin Farrell. 6’6. 264
    Brian Burns. 6’5. 249
    Jaylon Ferguson. 6’5. 259

Data from the NFL combine site

Cater is 6’4. 245

Everyone on this list is ~ 260+ except for Burns and he realizes that he needs to get bigger and stronger.

https://247sports.com/college/florid...iew-129647393/

On weight...
    “Right now I feel comfortable with where I’m at. 249, 250. I feel comfortable. But there’s no telling what the future has in store. I feel like I can put on more weight, I feel like I have room for it.”
    For the record, I think CC has an opportunity to develop into an NFL caliber edge rusher. He'll need to get significantly bigger and stronger imo.
    Last edited by Gophers7NatTitlesBadgers0; 03-05-2019 at 06:30 PM.

Ive always thought CC45 should be playing LB. Nothing wrong with a LB blitzing on the edge - but IMHO CC45 wont be starting the play on the LOS in the NFL.

Broken now/Fixed in 2019/Comin' in 2020
    #RTB #ELITE #FAMILY #HYPRR #Culture #PayCut #Year0 #How #Happiness/Joy

Von Miller: 6-3, 250
    Khalil Mack: 6-3, 252

These are the two best 3-4 OLBs the league. Coughlin is absolutely big enough to be a 3-4 edge rusher in the NFL.

Also first round pick TJ Watt: 6-4, 252. Danielle Hunter: 6-5, 252. All these guys were slightly lighter in college as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoofin View Post
    Ive always thought CC45 should be playing LB. Nothing wrong with a LB blitzing on the edge - but IMHO CC45 wont be starting the play on the LOS in the NFL.

Id be very surprised if he wasnt on the edge at the next level.