Should Coughlin Stay at Edge

alchemy2u

Reaction score
I was just checking out a mock draft after the NFL combine and it has "Edge" players projected as 4 out of the top 8, 6 out of the top 14 and 7 edge players going in the first round! I know everyone wants to see CC move back to his "natural" position of LB, but with so many teams valuing "Edge" players so highly, he might want to stay on the edge (I assume that is what he was playing).

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2823435-2019-nfl-mock-draft-matt-millers-post-combine-predictions?#slide0

To early to speculate on this one. Need to see how all the pieces come together by the end of spring or this summer if necessary. Personally I believe he has demonstrated what he can do on the edge so no more need to audition for that spot in the pros. Furthermore he could place both positions this fall on occasion.

Why do people still say traditional LB is his "natural" position? It never was and he is about as prototypical of an edge rusher as you can get at this level.

Anyways, Burns seems to think he will get more snaps on the edge next year than at LB but will still play both. I think it all depends on how Rush looks because right now I feel better about DE with Delatiboudere, Ottemewo and Mafe than I do with Rush at OLB but we will see.

Looked pretty darn good last year on the edge.

<iframe width="921" height="518" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/KO0II8fHLaY" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

At his current size, I just don't see Coughlin as a DE in the pros. If his best role is edge rusher, then he probably slots as an OLB with a 3-4 team.

We've seen what he can do as a DE. Just out of curiosity, if for no other reason, I really want to see what CC looks like at OLB. Maybe it turns out he's less effective at LB than he is at DE, but if they don't try it, we'll never know. And the pro scouts will never know.

Keeping CC at DE may ultimately hurt his pro options.

There is no rule saying he may only play on the DL or as a backer, for a whole game.

In obvious passing situations, rush him from the edge, and let him get sacks. When it's not obvious passing situation, it would be appropriate to use traditional DE with more beef, and their hands in the dirt.

I agree he could be an effective edge rusher in situations. The average weight of an NFL DE is around 280. That's 35 lbs more than his listed 245 lbs. No NFL team would take him seriously as strictly an edge rusher unless he gets significantly bigger and stronger. End of discussion.

I agree he could be an effective edge rusher in situations. The average weight of an NFL DE is around 280. That's 35 lbs more than his listed 245 lbs. No NFL team would take him seriously as strictly an edge rusher unless he gets significantly bigger and stronger. End of discussion.

Wasn't Bryce Paup an edge rusher? Think he played around 250lbs. Jared Allen was 265lbs. Some of this year's top edge prospects: Nick Bosa is 260, Montez Sweat is 260, Ben Banogu is 250, Brian Burns 249.

Maybe not that far-fetched that Couglin is big enough.

Jared Allen was a 4-3 DE. Paup was a 3-4 OLB. I think you guys might be getting your positions mixed up. An edge rush player is basically a 3-4 OLB in the pros. DEs in a pro 3-4 usually go between 280 and 300 and I don't think Coughlin will get that big. Coughlin's likely position at the next level will be as an OLB in either a 4-3 or 3-4. Coughlin appears to play a hybrid position for the Gophers in that he lines up at DE but plays a lot like on OLB in certain situations.

Let’s see: top 2019 Edge prospects

Nick Bosa. 6’3. 265
Josh Allen. 6’5. 260
Rashan Gary. 6’4. 277
Montez Sweat. 6’6. 260
Clelin Farrell. 6’6. 264
Brian Burns. 6’5. 249
Jaylon Ferguson. 6’5. 259

Data from the NFL combine site

Cater is 6’4. 245

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let’s see: top 2019 Edge prospects

Nick Bosa. 6’3. 265
Josh Allen. 6’5. 260
Rashan Gary. 6’4. 277
Montez Sweat. 6’6. 260
Clelin Farrell. 6’6. 264
Brian Burns. 6’5. 249
Jaylon Ferguson. 6’5. 259

Data from the NFL combine site

Cater is 6’4. 245

Everyone on this list is ~ 260+ except for Burns and he realizes that he needs to get bigger and stronger.

https://247sports.com/college/flori...rns-NFL-Scouting-combine-interview-129647393/

On weight...
“Right now I feel comfortable with where I’m at. 249, 250. I feel comfortable. But there’s no telling what the future has in store. I feel like I can put on more weight, I feel like I have room for it.”

For the record, I think CC has an opportunity to develop into an NFL caliber edge rusher. He'll need to get significantly bigger and stronger imo.

Last edited:

I’ve always thought CC45 should be playing LB. Nothing wrong with a LB blitzing on the edge - but IMHO CC45 won’t be starting the play on the LOS in the NFL.

Von Miller: 6-3, 250
Khalil Mack: 6-3, 252

These are the two best 3-4 OLB’s the league. Coughlin is absolutely big enough to be a 3-4 edge rusher in the NFL.

Also first round pick TJ Watt: 6-4, 252. Danielle Hunter: 6-5, 252. All these guys were slightly lighter in college as well.

I’ve always thought CC45 should be playing LB. Nothing wrong with a LB blitzing on the edge - but IMHO CC45 won’t be starting the play on the LOS in the NFL.

I’d be very surprised if he wasn’t on the edge at the next level.

I’d be very surprised if he wasn’t on the edge at the next level.

I would be surprised if the coaching staff, who will determine his position and skill set, didn’t play him at the best position advantageous to the team.

Combine weights

Von Miller: 6-3, 246, drafted #2 overall
Khalil Mack 6-3, 251, drafted #5 overall
Dion Jordan 6-6, 248, drafted #3 overall
TJ Watt 6-4, 252, drafted #30 overall
Randy Gregory 6-5, 235 drafted #60 overall and was a projected top 5 pick before multiple off the field issues right before the draft.
Danielle Hunter: 6-5, 252 drafted #88 overall.

All of these guys were drafted to play on the line of scrimmage as edge rushers.

Last edited:

I would be surprised if the coaching staff, who will determine his position and skill set, didn’t play him at the best position advantageous to the team.

Nobody on the history of this forum has said otherwise. Thats not what we are debating.

Von Miller: 6-3, 250
Khalil Mack: 6-3, 252

These are the two best 3-4 OLB’s the league. Coughlin is absolutely big enough to be a 3-4 edge rusher in the NFL.

Also first round pick TJ Watt: 6-4, 252. Danielle Hunter: 6-5, 252. All these guys were slightly lighter in college as well.

This works for me!

Combine weights

Dion Jordan 6-3, 248, drafted #3 overall
Randy Gregory 6-5, 235 drafted #60 overall and was a projected top 5 pick before multiple off the field issues right before the draft.

All of these guys were drafted to play on the line of scrimmage as edge rushers.

Serious question as I watch practically no NFL games, how much do these guys devote to rushing the QB on passing downs? In other words, are they considered more of a hybrid edge rusher/pass protection LBs or do they leave little doubt that they are going after the QB?

Serious question as I watch practically no NFL games, how much do these guys devote to rushing the QB on passing downs? In other words, are they considered more of a hybrid edge rusher/pass protection LBs or do they leave little doubt that they are going after the QB?

They almost exclusively rush the QB.

Combine weights

Dion Jordan 6-3, 248, drafted #3 overall

I am actually one of the people who believes CC's best position is as an edge rusher (on most plays).

However, I don't think he is 245 lbs. I think he is probably around 220-225.

Shut it down. Close thread. We also shouldn't talk about possible depth chart or anything that will ultimately be in the coach's purview.

Shut it down. Close thread. We also shouldn't talk about possible depth chart or anything that will ultimately be in the coach's purview.

Close the forum, you mean.

That is highwaytroll's actual goal. He wants to prevent all "talk".

I am actually one of the people who believes CC's best position is as an edge rusher (on most plays).

+1

I'm pretty sure there was an interview posted on here during the season where he talked about his inability to keep on weight. It was something to the effect of him being listed at 245, but that he really struggles to keep his weight above 225 or so during the season. The idea that he's suddenly going to be 250-260 lbs. (legitimately, not on paper) after 3 years in a strength program is a pipe dream.

Great point. Never questioned, but heck it sounds good. Next you will take a stand against serial killers.

+1

I'm pretty sure there was an interview posted on here during the season where he talked about his inability to keep on weight. It was something to the effect of him being listed at 245, but that he really struggles to keep his weight above 225 or so during the season. The idea that he's suddenly going to be 250-260 lbs. (legitimately, not on paper) after 3 years in a strength program is a pipe dream.

I believe he was talking about 2017 with the weight. He definitely looked his listed height and weight during Fall practices.

Putting on weight, even if it's 100% muscle, just to make the scale numbers bigger, is not a great idea.

More weight past a point, even if it's 100% muscle, will make you slower.

I believe he was talking about 2017 with the weight. He definitely looked his listed height and weight during Fall practices.

I don't think he looked 245 last year. I could be wrong, sometimes it's perspective (seeing him stand by OT a lot and that he's 6'4"), but I thought he looked smaller than Barber and Martin.

Yeah but you could probably say the same thing about a lot of those guys at the combine as well. It's very easy to put on 10 pounds in water weight in a few days.

Top Bottom