2020 Bowl Tie-in Changes

AtTheLibrary

Reaction score
https://collegefootballtalk.nbcspo...gas-bowl-among-other-2020-postseason-changes/

https://watchstadium.com/news/college-football-bowl-game-changes-to-begin-in-2020-03-05-2019/

Las Vegas Bowl: Big Ten and the SEC will each come to Vegas three times to Play Pac-12 over the next 6 years.

Holiday Bowl: With the Big Ten moving to Las Vegas, the Pac-12 will now play the ACC.

Belk Bowl: Will work in conjunction with the Las Vegas Bowl; if a Big Ten team is in Vegas, an SEC team will go to Charlotte and vice versa. The ACC will remain the opponent.

Gator Bowl: Big Ten will relinquish its tie-in, becoming strictly ACC vs. SEC.

Outback Bowl: ACC team will play an SEC team if the Big Ten is in the Orange Bowl.

Music City Bowl: ACC will relinquish its tie-in, becoming strictly SEC vs. Big Ten.

Arizona Bowl: Mountain West will play MAC instead of Sun Belt.

Myrtle Beach Bowl: Newly-created ESPN-owned game will rotate between Conference USA, MAC and Sun Belt.

Last edited:

Love San Diego. Hate Vegas.

Like Charlotte.

If Vegas is moving to the new stadium and B1G and SEC are involved, I can't see it staying on the Saturday afternoon before Christmas. So I potentially like that move. I hate losing Holiday Bowl as that was a good one. Charlotte will be nice and I'm glad Nashville is back to SEC vs B1G each year. Not broken up about losing Gator Bowl.

They missed the part about Minnesota being tied into the Rose Bowl

I don’t trust anyone who hates Vegas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We give up San Diego and Jacksonville, and let the SEC weasel its way into Vegas, so that we can get Vegas half the time, get Charlotte the other half the time, and get Nashville full time?

What an absolute horse__t job, fellas.

SEC and ACC should be trapped in the southeast, where they belong. Big Ten has historical ties to Florida. Dumb to let those go. Nashville and Charlotte are terrible locations for winter, outdoor bowl games. Stupid.

And the West should be exclusively for the Big Ten and Pac. Way to let our enemies get a foothold there.

Really pisspoor job. Not happy

We give up San Diego and Jacksonville, and let the SEC weasel its way into Vegas, so that we can get Vegas half the time, get Charlotte the other half the time, and get Nashville full time?

What an absolute horse__t job, fellas.

SEC and ACC should be trapped in the southeast, where they belong. Big Ten has historical ties to Florida. Dumb to let those go. Nashville and Charlotte are terrible locations for winter, outdoor bowl games. Stupid.

And the West should be exclusively for the Big Ten and Pac. Way to let our enemies get a foothold there.

Really pisspoor job. Not happy

Just curious.....what bowl games have you gone to to watch the Gophers?

I'm disappointed about losing San Diego, but this seems like a pretty good lineup. I'd rather they dumped Pinstripe and kept Holiday...

Would love to go to Vegas for a bowl game, personally!

Sure as heck not paying a bunch of money to freeze outdoors in Dallas, Nashville, or Charlotte. Thank you, next!

But would you realistically have gone to those other locations anyway? How many have you gone to in the past?

Nashville is a great city, but weather would just be so-so for a bowl game. Still would be fun though.

But would you realistically have gone to those other locations anyway?

Big Ten bowl games should be in the Southwest or in Florida, mostly. It makes sense to have a special game in NYC and/or Chicago.

So it makes sense to you that I would not be willing to spend money to go to locations that I had previous expressed disappointment about? No kidding?

We're swapping Jacksonville for Charlotte. Is Charlotte a sought out destination? Probably not....but I think you're vastly overrating Jacksonville & the Gator Bowl.

Also lost in this: swapping the Outback & Citrus Bowls as the bowl game lost when the Big Ten has a team in the Orange Bowl. In terms of bowl prestige, I see this as an upgrade for the conference.

As for your disdain for Nashville, find me a Gopher fan that went to the Music City Bowl when the Gophers were involved that did not enjoy the game, the city, and the overall experience.......it will be the first one that I've ever encountered

Charlotte is amazing. Great food and amazing craft beer scene. Would go to Charlotte over Jacksonville 10/10 times.

Nashville is also awesome.

San Diego was awesome and I'm thrilled the Gophers played in that game (and won). But the Holiday Bowl is on the downswing as far as prestige, and that trend will continue until a new stadium is built, if ever. Las Vegas is going to be the most prestigious non-NYD6 game in the West, and the Big Ten is smart to have found a way to participate.

If the Gophers were to win eight games this fall, I'll be rooting for the Gator Bowl since it's the last year of the deal. Although I've never heard particularly glowing reviews of Jacksonville, I've never been there and it is a bowl with a long history.

Nashville is always a blast, and the craft beer scene alone is a reason to go to Charlotte.

Las Vegas resident here. Me and the Mrs. have plunked down $$$$$ for PSLs for Raiders season tickets. One of the perks for this is we have first crack for purchasing tickets to various non-Raiders events held at the stadium throughout the year. Obviously having the BIG coming here pleases me (however, I would much rather travel to Pasadena to see the Gophers).

We're swapping Jacksonville for Charlotte. Is Charlotte a sought out destination? Probably not....but I think you're vastly overrating Jacksonville & the Gator Bowl.

As for your disdain for Nashville, find me a Gopher fan that went to the Music City Bowl when the Gophers were involved that did not enjoy the game, the city, and the overall experience.......it will be the first one that I've ever encountered

Charlotte is amazing. Great food and amazing craft beer scene. Would go to Charlotte over Jacksonville 10/10 times.

Nashville is also awesome.

OK. Valid positions. To each his own, am I right?

I have very little love for southern culture and country music, especially honky tonk. Awful. So I would get very little joy out of a trip to Nashville. For other's, it may be the cat's meow.

Also me, food (restaurants) and breweries are not a valid reason to travel to a city. We have plenty of those here, good ones too. And you're indoors anyway, so the weather doesn't really matter.

(warning -- political opinions) I very much dislike the states of Tennessee and North Carolina. They are awful, because they are controlled by very conservative state governments. I will leave it at that, though I could say much more. So if I can avoid spending money in those states, I will.

Florida is sufficiently different than the core deep south, for me. Yes it does vary, depending which part of the state you're in. But also given the long history of Big Ten v ACC and SEC bowl games in the state, I think they should continue and be emphasized as much as possible.

/semi-rant that likely no one else agrees with

Also lost in this: swapping the Outback & Citrus Bowls as the bowl game lost when the Big Ten has a team in the Orange Bowl. In terms of bowl prestige, I see this as an upgrade for the conference.

Absolutely correct. Thank you for bringing this up, I missed it. The Citrus Bowl has more history, a better payout, and plays on NYD right before the Rose Bowl. Very good pickup, to make sure this game is always Big Ten vs SEC!

ACC can have the bowl named after a mediocre steakhouse.

Las Vegas resident here. Me and the Mrs. have plunked down $$$$$ for PSLs for Raiders season tickets. One of the perks for this is we have first crack for purchasing tickets to various non-Raiders events held at the stadium throughout the year. Obviously having the BIG coming here pleases me (however, I would much rather travel to Pasadena to see the Gophers).

I wonder how that works out. Like for a bowl game ... full price early access, or even a significant discount early access.... might still be more than street value ;)

Last but not least: the Big Ten should be playing the PAC in the Los Angeles bowl. Not sure why that got screwed up. Hopefully it will be fixed next go around. Mountain West?? Nobody got time for that.

But would you realistically have gone to those other locations anyway? How many have you gone to in the past?

Nashville is a great city, but weather would just be so-so for a bowl game. Still would be fun though.

My two cents:

I have not gone to any of the bowl games, but as a recent retiree I have more flexibility. I would have gone to this year's game if it was in San Diego, but never in Detroit. Going to a cold climate is not my idea of a treat, and it would be a much harder to sell my wife.

(warning -- political opinions) I very much dislike the states of Tennessee and North Carolina. They are awful, because they are controlled by very conservative state governments. I will leave it at that, though I could say much more. So if I can avoid spending money in those states, I will.

Bless your heart

G4L hoping to get to first Gopher game ever if ticket prices get into $3-5 range and mom give him a ride!

My two cents:

I have not gone to any of the bowl games, but as a recent retiree I have more flexibility. I would have gone to this year's game if it was in San Diego, but never in Detroit. Going to a cold climate is not my idea of a treat, and it would be a much harder to sell my wife.

Tell her that you two can have fun watching the Gophers play in an outdoor stadium in 40 degree weather, in Nashville or Charlotte. Better than 30's I guess.

Oh I get it, that's that redneck, proud to watch NASCAR thing, right?

I can't stand country music or anything redneck, yet I still found it really fun to visit Nashville. It was cool to see all the live music (all music sounds better live, even country) and experience a different culture for a couple days.

Top Bottom