Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Interviewing for a job with Fleckisms

So I've been interviewing for jobs the last month or so. These are managerial jobs so there's lots of questions about leadership. I never really had a stated philosophy on the topic, so I did a phone interview the other day trying to work in as many "Fleckisms" as I could in 45 minutes. If I didn't know where these lines came from I would say they actually came off pretty smooth in the interview.

I got in the following:

"Forget about me, I love you"
    "Race to MAHturity"
    "Prefontaine Pace"
    "Change Your Best"
    "I'm not for everyone"
    "Elite" (three times)
    and of course, "Row the Boat" (twice)

Sadly, I was not able to reference an iron pipe wrench, an axe, or eating difficult conversations for breakfast.

They called me back this morning

When you go in, pipe wrench time.

Quote Originally Posted by fmlizard View Post
    So I've been interviewing for jobs the last month or so. These are managerial jobs so there's lots of questions about leadership. I never really had a stated philosophy on the topic, so I did a phone interview the other day trying to work in as many "Fleckisms" as I could in 45 minutes. If I didn't know where these lines came from I would say they actually came off pretty smooth in the interview.

I got in the following:

"Race to MAHturity"
    "Prefontaine Pace"
    "Change Your Best"
    "I'm not for everyone"
    "Elite" (three times)

Sadly, I was not able to reference an iron pipe wrench, an axe, or eating difficult conversations for breakfast.

I'm hiring a manager now. If he/she used Elite and Row the Boat in a conversation; I would gush. I'm phone interviewing a guy out of Iowa in the next few days; would this count as eating difficult conversations for breakfast??

Quote Originally Posted by A_Slab_of_Bacon View Post
    That's the salary negotiation tool.

Quote Originally Posted by zman View Post
    That's the salary negotiation tool.
    It's really effective if they have a glass desk!

I got in the following:

"Race to MAHturity"
    "Prefontaine Pace"
    "Change Your Best"
    "I'm not for everyone"
    "Elite" (three times)

"Prefontaine Pace", "Change Your Best", "Elite" all sound exactly like the corporate-speak gobbledygook I've heard a million times in meetings and presentations. He needs to work in "Think Outside the Box" and "That's the Challenge!".

Straight from the handbook of cliches used by every motivational speaker, ever.

But, hey... "the kids like it", so... I'm on board! Let's Row The Boat!

In the end, I believe Fleck will be very successful here. He's already impressed me. But it ain't because of his sloganeering.
    --------------

"7 National Titles...

... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".

I got in the following:

"Race to MAHturity"
    "Prefontaine Pace"
    "Change Your Best"
    "I'm not for everyone"
    "Elite" (three times)

I bet the callback was because they felt loved.

Quote Originally Posted by FredCoxRocks View Post
    I bet the callback was because they felt loved.
    Culture change...

If this was a hardware store or plumbing apprentice interview I see no problem.

Also, you could explain to them how you are a nekton or are in the farmer's alliance.
    Last edited by Stuff; 03-05-2019 at 09:24 AM.

As for our student athletes actually aspiring to these ideals, my impression is they are almost certainly highly motivated and likely very good potential employees.

Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Broken now/Fixed in 2019/Comin' in 2020
    #RTB #ELITE #FAMILY #HYPRR #Culture #PayCut #Year0 #How #Happiness/Joy

Quote Originally Posted by Stuff View Post
    If this was a hardware store or plumbing apprentice interview I see no problem.

Also, you could explain to them how you are a nekton or are in the farmer's alliance.
    Oooh, good ones. Challenge accepted on my 2nd interview.

No offense, but I hope it isn't at my company. We have enough people who use corporate hot phrases and words in place of answering your question.

*Not a shot at PJ, he is in the business of motivating young people and keeping energy levels high.
    Last edited by WoodburyTim; 03-05-2019 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodburyTim View Post
    No offense, but I hope it isn't at my company. We have enough people who use corporate hot phrases and words in place of answering your question.

*Not a shot at PJ, he is in the business or motivating young people and keeping energy levels high.
    I work for a large company and it's really really really bad. We have meetings about nothing but that corporate jargon. Drives me nuts. Just let me do my work

Quote Originally Posted by WiddleWatkins View Post
    I work for a large company and it's really really really bad. We have meetings about nothing but that corporate jargon. Drives me nuts. Just let me do my work
    This post shows an understanding of a culture that values agility, adaptability and a collaborative based focus on solutions.