All Things Gophers at Fresno State Road Game Thread

BleedGopher

Reaction score
I am curious who is making the trip to California in September.

Our flights and hotels are booked, looking forward to a fun road trip at a location the Gophers may never play at again.

Go Gophers!!

I'm driving up from Los Angeles for a rare chance to see my team live.

Not likely, but I am considering it

Got four going. Looking at lodging now.

Not going to Fresno, but I am planning to see the Gophers play in CA next season: Jan 1, 2020 in Pasadena :cool:

Just talked to Steve at Creative Charter. Looks like he is putting together a great package. I expect a large group from MN. 6 months however is long time.

Not going to Fresno, but I am planning to see the Gophers play in CA next season: Jan 1, 2020 in Pasadena :cool:

Post of the Year. Well done!

It's hard to imagine how much fun it would be to see the Gophers in Pasadena. The Vikings would finally have to take a back seat... and I say that as a Vikings fan.

Anyone going to the game ever been to Fresno before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Closest I've been is Sequoia National Park - about an hour and a half from Fresno (we came up from LA so didn't go through Fresno). If anyone goes to the game and has some extra time, I'd highly recommend going to Sequoia. It's one of our family's all-time favorite trips and that included our young kids. Weather should be great there in September.

Closest I've been is Sequoia National Park - about an hour and a half from Fresno (we came up from LA so didn't go through Fresno). If anyone goes to the game and has some extra time, I'd highly recommend going to Sequoia. It's one of our family's all-time favorite trips and that included our young kids. Weather should be great there in September.

I’ve never been to Sequoia, but have heard great things. California has so many great places and areas. We could spend a lot of time discussing them on here, but this is a thread about Fresno.

Then again, I’ve had fun on Gopher road trips to West Lafayette, IN.

Last edited:

I’ve never been to Sequoia, but have heard great things. California has so many great places and areas. We could spend a lot of time discussing them on here, but this is a thread about Fresno.

Then again, I’ve had fun on Gopher road trips to West Lafayette, IN.

Just saying if I was headed to Fresno, I'd take a day or two on my trip to hit Sequoia. Wasn't sure if people realized how close it was to Fresno.

I've heard the city of Fresno itself isn't the greatest place.

Just saying if I was headed to Fresno, I'd take a day or two on my trip to hit Sequoia. Wasn't sure if people realized how close it was to Fresno.

I've heard the city of Fresno itself isn't the greatest place.

All good Word. I was referring to the city of Fresno not being the greatest place. Your input/advice was good input/advice.

I was close enough to Fresno driving on I5 to pick up radio stations from there. The DJ was asking people to call in and share their stories about a house where several murders took place. Also I read a local gang has adopted Fresno St apparel as their uniform. Not high on my list of road trips.

I was close enough to Fresno driving on I5 to pick up radio stations from there. The DJ was asking people to call in and share their stories about a house where several murders took place. Also I read a local gang has adopted Fresno St apparel as their uniform. Not high on my list of road trips.

So, it's just like Minneapolis?

I'm driving up from Temecula. Wife and I will go...

Agree. Good comeback highwayman.

Did a Fresno game post of Rivals a couple of months ago and came away these suggestions as we are considering the trip. Will either fly out to Vegas and hang out for couple weeks or hook up the Winnie and make a 3-4 week sight seeing trip out of it.

Stay in Clovis which is nicer, safer place and close to the stadium
Great parks to visit including Yosemite, Kings Canyon, Sequoia, etc.
For the "winer's" forgot about Napa Valley and get your kicks in Posa Robles instead.
Monteray, Carmel, Big Sur coast area close as well as SF.

Agree. Good comeback highwayman.

Did a Fresno game post of Rivals a couple of months ago and came away these suggestions as we are considering the trip. Will either fly out to Vegas and hang out for couple weeks or hook up the Winnie and make a 3-4 week sight seeing trip out of it.

Stay in Clovis which is nicer, safer place and close to the stadium
Great parks to visit including Yosemite, Kings Canyon, Sequoia, etc.
For the "winer's" forgot about Napa Valley and get your kicks in Posa Robles instead.
Monteray, Carmel, Big Sur coast area close as well as SF.

Stay in Carmel if you can find something reasonable. As nice a place as there is...

I hope people who are planning to make a trip out there and do some fun tourist things aren’t going to be spending much time in Fresno, outside the game. From what I understand, Fresno is very hot and dry, in the middle of CA ag country, and has some issues with Hispanic gang violence. Doesn’t sound like a pleasant place to visit.

I am making the trip. I stayed right by the stadium a couple years ago in an overnight stop when I was driving from LA to the Sacramento area. There are a number of fun sports bars right there as you would expect on a college campus. From what the locals told me the campus area is quite safe but there are tough areas of the city just like most anywhere. I will be making the trip as well. Spending 4 days in Tahoe, 3 visiting family in El Dorado Hills and then Friday and Saturday nights in Fresno.

I used to be stationed at Castle Air Force Base (now closed) near Merced. If I went out there, I'd like to see the air museum. The valley wasn't all that exciting, but you've got your choice of mountain ranges to the east and the west. King's Canyon National Park or Sequoia National Park seem like great options. I spent more time at the ocean than going west.

This would be a fun gopher road trip for any fans that ride motorcycles :)
I would be in if others are interested

I hope people who are planning to make a trip out there and do some fun tourist things aren’t going to be spending much time in Fresno, outside the game. From what I understand, Fresno is very hot and dry, in the middle of CA ag country, and has some issues with Hispanic gang violence. Doesn’t sound like a pleasant place to visit.

I have been to Fresno numerous times pleasure and business. You are absolutely correct, it is dry, it is hot, and it can be dangerous - like all big cities. Great city if you are looking for junk cars. Football stadium is easy to find (while I drove past, I haven’t seen a game there). From what I have read their football team has 20 to 25 thousand hard core fans. Winning out there will be a difficult task but not as difficult as beating Becky again. Looking forward to the game.

A Minneapolis gang adopted Fresno State gear? Weird.

Seriously though, I probably wouldn't be worried about the crime in Fresno. I'm sure if you stay in places where you're supposed to be and not dabble in things that get you in trouble, you'll be just fine. Fresno has a lower crime rate than the city of Minneapolis proper, but likely much higher than the Twin Cities Metro area overall.

My guess is overall though, there aren't a lot of other cultural/tourist activities in the city of Fresno compared to Minneapolis.

I will say I found the CA central valley interesting when we visited. Was kind of cool to see where all the oranges, grapes, and almonds come from. The mountains in the distance are pretty too. And like myself and others have mentioned there are relatively short trips you can make from there to some pretty cool places.

Last edited:

I'll be there. My dad was a Fresno State grad and I was born there, so going back to my roots. Haven't been to Fresno since my early teens when the Bulldogs had just joined the WAC, and last saw a game there in 1990 or so, so I can't offer much as far as recommendations other than don't bother going downtown.

Stopped on the way to Yosemite last year. Seemed very run down. If you’re making a trip of it, would definitely recommend the parks nearby as some posters have mentioned. Fresno itself did not have much to offer

Yosemite and Kings Canyon are close as well. One of my bucket list vacations is to fly into Vegas, rent a car and visit Death Valley, Joshua Tree, Sequoia, Kings Canyon and Yosemite. So much to do in that area.

Top Bottom