***OFFICIAL PURDUE AT MINNESOTA SENIOR NIGHT TOURNEY BID IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

Harms shoved the guy out of the way with one arm. Zero danger there. Dude was some drunk a__hole flipping him off right in his face with his phone in the other hand recording.

Haarms should have dropped him.

The extended minutes from Stull, Stockman, and Omersa is what made this all the more enjoyable. Team effort to take down a highly rated squad. Who among us thought a “w” was possible if our lone 3-point shooter was shutout & fouled out, our 6th man out for the year (again), and Oturo would pull a disappearing act (btw: is he injured? What happened last night. Completely out of character for him). So excited for the key contributors to get the chance to clap back at some of the gopherhole tools.

I believe Pitino said in the presser that Matz was just playing better, so he went with him. Worked out last night but we will need both of them in top form Friday against Bruno.

Key stat from last night was Edwards going 7 for 31 and 3 of 15! I guess he has the green light. Some sick defense to keep him off target like that. We gave up WAY to many offensive boards that kept Purdue in the game. Good thing Matz was a shot blocking machine.

Yes I was. Looked like roughly 1000 empty seats excluding the student section.

For senior night at 7pm against the number 11 team in the country when a win would be huge for your chances of making the tournament, the game should absolutely be sold out. Price the tickets right and and it will sell out easily.

Price the tickets right! Upper deck way too expensive. They should not be as expensive as the Twolves

Senior nights are always tough. Watching home careers end. We’ve seen a couple of these guys play nearly every home game for 4 years. There is always something special on senior night. It is possibly the final time we see Murphy’s hair and Dupree’s swagger on the raised floor.

Murphy needs to come out under control and avoid foul trouble. We need Mr. Double Double, Mr. All-Conference to be just that. We need Dupree to step up and hit some shots. And to disrupt the Purdue offensive flow.

We need to win. We need to send these seniors off on a positive note. We need to make the NCAA tourney. We need to make The Barn rock one more time this year.

Good bettors don’t bet with their heart. I’m a lousy bettor. Gophers win tonight.

I’m an optimist. I’m usually wrong. This aged wel!

Lots of offensive rebounds given up. However, Purdue took a ton of 3s. Longer rebounds on longer shots. And Purdue is really a nice team. Great effort by the lads. Stull was a rebounding machine and had a couple blockouts that let his teammates get the rebound easily.

My least favorite part of the game.

We are up 6 near the end. Purdue trying to score. We get a turnover. It's in Coffey's hands. He gets fouled!! Before heading down to the other end for free throws, Coffey turns to the student section and makes what looks to be a few motions indicating they need to rush the court after the buzzer goes off (pointed to them, then pointed in the direction of the court, then a "come here" motion).

Then he proceeds to miss 3 of his next 4 free throws and BAM Purdue is down 2.

I think he handled it well.

I agree. No reason to "drop him" if something less violent does the job. Haarms overreacting would have been as foolish as what the student did.

I

Key stat from last night was Edwards going 7 for 31 and 3 of 15! I guess he has the green light. Some sick defense to keep him off target like that.

Edwards was of great help to the Gophers last night. The kid is good, but he doesn't seem like a real smart player. 31 shots when you are off, he needs to learn to give up the ball once in awhile. I think he helped the Gophers with this
win as much as anybody. They did play good D on him though.

5 seconds left in the game, our ball, and for the inbounds play we can run the baseline. Why don't we simply pack all four players in the corner, hand (yes, officially it needs to be a pass, but you get the idea) it to the surrounded player, and then hold it for 5 seconds? They can't foul the guy holding the ball (since they can't reach him), and any foul on the surrounding three players has to be a technical.

5 seconds left in the game, our ball, and for the inbounds play we can run the baseline. Why don't we simply pack all four players in the corner, hand (yes, officially it needs to be a pass, but you get the idea) it to the surrounded player, and then hold it for 5 seconds? They can't foul the guy holding the ball (since they can't reach him), and any foul on the surrounding three players has to be a technical.

Because they could have their guy stand between the person passing the ball in and our guy in the corner, making it impossible to do.

In an inbounds situation like this I put the guards in the back court and had the three bigs build a wall at the free throw line, put one guard to the corner and had the other sprint through the wall to the far end (our basket). worked perfect with our guard being alone in the far court!

Inbounds pass to streaking player hit the back of the basket because passer forgot to move and instead of an easy lay-up we turned it over!

Lesson: Anything can happen on an inbounds pass.

Because they could have their guy stand between the person passing the ball in and our guy in the corner, making it impossible to do.

I'm not saying they line up that way before the ref hands Stull the ball. If they did that, then yes, the defender has the right to have that position. I'm saying do this after Stull gets the ball. If we can get to that formation, then the defender can't push their way into the scrum. If it works, game over and we win. If it doesn't, call time out and reset.

I'm not saying they line up that way before the ref hands Stull the ball. If they did that, then yes, the defender has the right to have that position. I'm saying do this after Stull gets the ball. If we can get to that formation, then the defender can't push their way into the scrum. If it works, game over and we win. If it doesn't, call time out and reset.

Either you're on something or you're onto something

A few crazy things that happened that I thought could/would lose the game for the Gophers.

Up 12, we nearly get a steal for a wide open layup, the ball then bounces towards Cline and Stull nearly grabs it, Cline hits a 3 to cut the lead to 9.

Coffey and McBrayer take turns missing shots at the rim. I believe 3 missed layups/open close shots in 4 possessions.

Coffey missing a pair of FTs that would have put us up 7 (or 8)

I still don't understand why it's so difficult for a major college basketball team to get the ball inbounds from any position on the court. Perhaps it's because we don't screen, don't make sharp cuts, and don't have players holding the ball who can recognize who's coming open? (Hmmm, that's the same problem with our half court offense.) If not for that replay going our way, we very likely might've lost that game on a 3 pointer at the buzzer.

Couple plays that stick out to me.

McBrayer was wide open on the second inbounds play they ran

we were up 12, the Barn was about to explode, Dupree misses a wide open 3 that would have sent that place to the moon.

Gabe played OUTSTANDING defense on Edwards and Cline!!! I watched him exclusively in the second half, when he was in the game. that kid is TOUGH!

Just rewatched some of the game. Really quite stunning how poorly Carson Edwards played the last 8 minutes.

Just rewatched some of the game. Really quite stunning how poorly Carson Edwards played the last 8 minutes.

If he gets some space he scores, if you force him to rush his shots he misses, they changed up who he was being covered by so they were always fresh, made a big difference, he never had an uncontested shot and it showed.

If he gets some space he scores, if you force him to rush his shots he misses, they changed up who he was being covered by so they were always fresh, made a big difference, he never had an uncontested shot and it showed.

Think the thought was he'd turn pro, but dont imagine last night's performance was impressive to scouts. Might be best served to play his senior year.

Did I see it correctly - did Edwards do a defensive floor slap in the second half when it was getting tight? Pretty ballsy to pull that BS on the road, unless you're taking it to Duke and want to taunt them.

I still don't understand why it's so difficult for a major college basketball team to get the ball inbounds from any position on the court. Perhaps it's because we don't screen, don't make sharp cuts, and don't have players holding the ball who can recognize who's coming open? (Hmmm, that's the same problem with our half court offense.) If not for that replay going our way, we very likely might've lost that game on a 3 pointer at the buzzer.

The replay didn't "go our way". It was the correct call. And "very likely might've" is the most passive aggressive portion of a sentence ever.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Top Bottom