Who are the state tourney favorites? who is hot?

march madness

Reaction score
As a high school fan now living out of state, who are the favorites to take the title? Who are the darkhorse canidates?

4A favorites:
Lakeville North
Prior Lake (is Garcia back), otherwise Eden Praire
East Ridge
Park Center
Hopkins, challenge from Wayzata

3A
Austin
Waseca/Mankato East
Holy Angels/ St. Thomas
Mahtomedi
Delano
DeLaSalle
Princeton/Hibbing
Bemidji/Sartell

2A
Lake City/Caledonia
Minnehaha
MN North/Breck
Perham
Maranatha

A
North Woods
Minneota
Sprinfield
Cass Lake
Bold

As a high school fan now living out of state, who are the favorites to take the title? Who are the darkhorse canidates?

4A favorites:
Lakeville North
East Ridge
Park Center

3A
Austin
Waseca/Mankato East
Holy Angels/ St. Thomas
Mahtomedi
Delano
DeLaSalle
Princeton/Hibbing
Bemidji/Sartell

2A
Lake City/Caledonia
Minnehaha
MN North/Breck
Perham
Maranatha

A
North Woods
Minneota
Sprinfield
Cass Lake
Bold

the real question in AA will be if any team can stay within 20 of Minnehaha

Whom ever comes out of the 2A section has a great shot at the state title, it is a mini state tourney in itself. My money is on Bold to win it all.

4A favorites:
Lakeville North
East Ridge
Park Center

3A
Austin
Waseca/Mankato East
Holy Angels/ St. Thomas
Mahtomedi
Delano
DeLaSalle
Princeton/Hibbing
Bemidji/Sartell

2A
Lake City/Caledonia
Minnehaha
MN North/Breck
Perham
Maranatha

A
North Woods
Minneota
Sprinfield
Cass Lake
Bold

AAAA and A should be good tournaments, DeLaSalle and Minnehaha basically have their tourneys in the bag. Waseca could maybe give DE a run. Minnehaha on a bigger floor will only be harder to beat. This is the most balanced AAAA I think I've seen. Normally I think there are 2-3 teams that could win it, this year I think there are still around 8-9 teams that could win state this year.

They did crush Minneapolis North by 4 the other night.

and breck by 30
and perham by 30
and maranatha by 30

but yes North is the only team that will be able to keep it close

Lots of great section title games before state. This is one I'd like to head south to watch at Mayo.

Lake City/Caledonia in 1aa
North/breck in 5aa
Albany/Melrose/Cathedrall in 6aa
Perham/Osakis in 8aa

will be lots of fun & entertaining section title games

In Colorado each division is seeded by rankings/votes. It usually means the favorites or a hot team is playing in the final four and makes for great games.

Should Minnesota do this?

In Colorado each division is seeded by rankings/votes. It usually means the favorites or a hot team is playing in the final four and makes for great games.

I have no idea what you just said but Minnesota seeds as well in sections

What Minnesota should do is put DeLa Salle and Minnehaha in the 4A state tourney once they win their section.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

What Minnesota should do is put DeLa Salle and Minnehaha in the 4A state tourney once they win their section.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I agree there are too many classes.

Should really be 3 classes.

1A should be left alone, 3A should be split with half moving up and half moving down.

I also think there are too many classes in football. Should go back to the 6 there was 10 years ago.

2AAA is loaded with Marshall, Mankato East and Waseca. I think that Waseca wins that section and I think they have a good chance to win the AAA Tournament. They've beat every team pretty badly, including Minneapolis North a few weeks ago...except their one loss to Marshall. Austin is very athletic, long and shoots the 3 pointer well. They are finding their groove and I think they will be heard from in the state tournament as well. Their pressure on defense is lethal.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lakeville North wins AAAA. It will probably be Minnehaha Academy beating Minneapolis North in AA.

I'm going tonight to the PL Bloomington Jefferson game. PL doesn't need Dawson Garcia against the Jags but hopefully he plays. They will need him in the second game against either Shako or Chaska.

North is tough, big can shoot the lights out. Hopkins will be tough as well.

The 5a bracket is entirely seeded from 1-32. There are no sections. Meaning tough sections like the Lake only gets one team to state. In the colorado system Hopkins would probably be a top 4 seed playing one of the bottom teams. Wayzata and Eden Prarie and Edina would also be in the top 15 of the 32 teams. Meaning the best teams all have a shot. In minnesota's system the second best team may not "make state".

I also like Wisconsin I believe who has a seperate tourney for the private schools.

I have no idea what you just said but Minnesota seeds as well in sections

I also like Wisconsin I believe who has a seperate tourney for the private schools.[/QUOTE]

They don't

The 5a bracket is entirely seeded from 1-32. There are no sections. Meaning tough sections like the Lake only gets one team to state. In the colorado system Hopkins would probably be a top 4 seed playing one of the bottom teams. Wayzata and Eden Prarie and Edina would also be in the top 15 of the 32 teams. Meaning the best teams all have a shot. In minnesota's system the second best team may not "make state".

I also like Wisconsin I believe who has a seperate tourney for the private schools.

I don't believe Wisconsin has separate tournaments any longer.

I'm confused about what you are talking about. There is no 5A bracket, unless you mean section 5 single A, which are the really small schools. There are 8 sections in the largest class (AAAA) in Minnesota with 7 or 8 teams in each section. Section 2AAAA is a very loaded section, with Prior Lake seeded #1, Eden Prairie #2, Edina #3, Shakopee #5 and Chaska #5. All 5 of those teams are in the top 12-15 in the state, and only two of those schools are in the Lake Conference. Chaska is in the Metro West Conference and Prior Lake and Shakopee are in the South Suburban Conference. Chaska plays at Shakopee tonight in what will be a game of two teams that are arguably in the top 10 in the state.

Nice job outing yourself as being from a second rate west metro school.

Colorado has a 5A section. The top 32 teams make a seeded field, some conferences may have zero teams in, some may have all teams in and seeded. There are no sections. It just allows the best teams in the state to play further into the bracket. You would be more likely to see Matthew Hurt as his John Marshall team gets beat by Lakeville North every year.

Instead of Chaska playing Shakopee now, they would likely play them further into the bracket like the sweet 16. think of how march madness works. The way mn does it is like when only 1 big ten team got in the tourney.

Now 8-10 big ten teams can get in, be in different brackets, and all meet in the sweet 16, theoretically.

Colorado has a 5A section. The top 32 teams make a seeded field, some conferences may have zero teams in, some may have all teams in and seeded. There are no sections. It just allows the best teams in the state to play further into the bracket. You would be more likely to see Matthew Hurt as his John Marshall team gets beat by Lakeville North every year.

Instead of Chaska playing Shakopee now, they would likely play them further into the bracket like the sweet 16. think of how march madness works. The way mn does it is like when only 1 big ten team got in the tourney.

Now 8-10 big ten teams can get in, be in different brackets, and all meet in the sweet 16, theoretically.

Now I get what you are saying. the MSHSL does a good job of separating teams from the best conferences. The Lake Conference only has 5 teams in it and they are in two different sections. The South Suburban probably has the favorite in three different sections. Obviously there are sections that are strong than others from year to year, but the top conferences are well represented at the state tournament.

Funny I would’ve guessed you’re from chaska.
A wealthy west suburb that used to play against high level competition and dropped down to join a conference with robinsdale.

If chaska was in the south suburban they’d be a 10 loss team.

Quit whining and win some games.

Now I get what you are saying. the MSHSL does a good job of separating teams from the best conferences. The Lake Conference only has 5 teams in it and they are in two different sections. The South Suburban probably has the favorite in three different sections. Obviously there are sections that are strong than others from year to year, but the top conferences are well represented at the state tournament.

He thinks it is unfair that chaska has to play the 3rd best team from the south suburban in the first round even though chaska lost to the 4th best team in the south suburban in the regular season.

He thinks it is unfair that chaska has to play the 3rd best team from the south suburban in the first round even though chaska lost to the 4th best team in the south suburban in the regular season.

I don't think the conference switch was about basketball. Chaska and Chan would be the smallest teams in the South Suburban. Ten years ago Chaska was in that conference along with Eden Prairie and actually competed very well in basketball. I think they left to get out of the conference for football and going up against Lakeville North and South (Eden Prairie left at the same time to join Wayzata, Minnetonka, Edina and Hopkins). I honestly think both Chaska and Chan would compete in the South Suburban in most sports, even football now....at least with most teams in the conference. In the conference they are in now (Metro West) they are the top dog in most sports.

I don't think the conference switch was about basketball. Chaska and Chan would be the smallest teams in the South Suburban. Ten years ago Chaska was in that conference along with Eden Prairie and actually competed very well in basketball. I think they left to get out of the conference for football and going up against Lakeville North and South (Eden Prairie left at the same time to join Wayzata, Minnetonka, Edina and Hopkins). I honestly think both Chaska and Chan would compete in the South Suburban in most sports, even football now....at least with most teams in the conference. In the conference they are in now (Metro West) they are the top dog in most sports.

When they left Bloomington Kennedy and Jefferson were still in he conference.

They ran away and are now complaining that their section is too tough.

Top Bottom