Big Ten end of season awards

fanfromthevalley

Reaction score
Here's a link to all the end of season Big Ten awards.

https://bigten.org/news/2019/3/4/big-ten-womens-basketball-honors-announced-on-btn.aspx

For the Gophers:

Kenisha Bell - first team all Big Ten (coaches and media), all defensive team

Destiny Pitts- first team all Big Ten (media), second team all Big Ten (coaches)

Taiye Bello - honorable mention (coaches and media)

Jasmine Brunson - wins Big Ten sportsmanship award for Minnesota

And, here's a link from the Gophers on our award winners:

https://gophersports.com/news/2019/...claims-big-ten-season-honors.aspx?path=wbball

Last edited:

I agree with the media awards more than the coaches award. I think Destiny should have been first team in both votes, although I fully acknowledge that her slow start hurt her. Michigan's Hillmon was probably the best choice for FOY. I'm not sure all those selected to first team deserve that status, especially Colley. Doyle, Akpanah, and even Mikesell could have also been second team instead of first. Both McGuff and CViv had a chance to nab COY except, but finished slowly. I agree that Frese was the best choice for COY. Congrats to Bell, Pitts, Bello, and Brunson for their awards. Here's hoping that we'll have one or two FOY candidates in next year's voting...and/or maybe Hubbard can secure some honors.

wait...whut? mikesell? she is really good. imo, no problem with 1st team.

https://bigten.org/news/2019/4/6/wo...der-chosen-as-naismith-coach-of-the-year.aspx

It's an Iowa sweep: Lisa Bluder and Megan Gustafson win Naismith National Coach of the Year and Player of the Year honors.

After leading the University of Iowa women’s basketball program to its first NCAA Elite Eight appearance since 1993 and its first Big Ten Conference Tournament title in 18 years, Hawkeye head coach Lisa Bluder was recognized Saturday as the Naismith National Coach of the Year by the Atlanta Tipoff Club. Bluder’s honor was part of an Iowa sweep of the Naismith women’s college basketball awards on Saturday, as senior forward/center Megan Gustafson was selected to receive the Naismith Trophy as the national player of the year. They are the 10th duo from the same school to sweep both honors in the same season and the first since 2016 when UConn’s Geno Auriemma and Breanna Stewart were selected.

This marks the second time in Bluder’s career she has earned a national coaching honor. In 1990, she was named the NAIA National Coach of the Year after leading St. Ambrose University to a No. 1 ranking and an NAIA Final Four appearance.

Bluder is the first women’s basketball coach from a current Big Ten school to receive a national coach of the year award since 2010, when Nebraska’s Connie Yori was the consensus national coach of the year (including the Naismith honoree). Bluder is the third Hawkeye coach to be honored nationally, joining Hall of Famer (and current Rutgers coach) C. Vivian Stringer, who was the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) and Converse National Coach of the Year in 1988 and 1993, adding the Naismith award following the latter season, and Angie Lee, who was the 1996 Associated Press National Coach of the Year.

The coaches from current Big Ten schools to receive the Naismith National Coach of the Year award have been Maryland’s Chris Weller (1992), Stringer (1993), Purdue’s Carolyn Peck (1999) and Yori (2010).

Top Bottom