Georgia Southern has tough start to schedule

Thank you, Toasty. That’s hilarious. You will find only level-headed, reasonable, well thought out posts here.

[video]https://media.tenor.com/images/204b8e302e4da6ec880e826ab71d88dd/tenor.gif[/video]

Last edited:

I agree. Our offense was REALLY slow starting all year. On the flip side our defense was pretty good early in games - we allowed a TD in the 1st quarter to only 3 teams all season. My hope for this changing this year is that this will be the first time in at least 4 years that we've had the same offensive system in back to back seasons so our offense should be much more prepared this year simply because they know the scheme better.

Offensive Points by Quarter:
1st - 54
2nd - 121
3rd - 114
4th - 107

Defensive Points by Quarter:
1st - 40
2nd - 85
3rd - 69
4th - 86

I think one misconception of option offenses is that we cant score quickly. It certainly is more difficult for us than say an air-raid offense, but it's more about efficiency on drives than scoring quickly. As long as you can get stops and score points then you can work your way back into a game. Where we struggle is when we need several scores late in games and are forced to throw, but even then nobody wants to be in that position - except maybe Tom Brady.
"When play like we play when we play, nobody can beat us." I think Denny Green was talking about the 2019 Gophers when he said that....

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

This is my favorite thread right now. Thanks for joining our discussion Toasty and it is nice to know you will be around here to talk about the game when the season is underway too.

Do you anticipate many GS fans traveling to the Twin Cities for the game?

This is my favorite thread right now. Thanks for joining our discussion Toasty and it is nice to know you will be around here to talk about the game when the season is underway too.

Do you anticipate many GS fans traveling to the Twin Cities for the game?

We may honestly have a decent contingent come (as far as G5's go). It's a LONG trip but with a home game the week before and a BYE the week after it may be a good weekend for people to travel, especially if they want to escape the 100 degree weather and humidity for a few days. We have a very active messageboard GSU Fans and I know our guys would love a few of you to come over and offer suggestions of places to visit, eat, etc for the trip.

I'm sure that will happen. I have noticed that opposing fans usually bundle in other stuff and make a weekend or long weekend out of it. MLB baseball, NFL football, etc. I haven't looked to see if the Twins or Vikings would be in town that weekend but even if that isn't the case, there is lots of other stuff to do and the beauty is the light rail line connects the airport, to the Mall of America, to both downtowns so a lot of visitors don't even bother with cabs or rental cars. I'm sure there will be a thread here dedicated to visitors. There is one every year.

We may honestly have a decent contingent come (as far as G5's go). It's a LONG trip but with a home game the week before and a BYE the week after it may be a good weekend for people to travel, especially if they want to escape the 100 degree weather and humidity for a few days. We have a very active messageboard GSU Fans and I know our guys would love a few of you to come over and offer suggestions of places to visit, eat, etc for the trip.

The stadium is right off the light rail which expands options of where to stay and makes getting to stadium easy.

Tailgate scene isn't much though

I'm sure that will happen. I have noticed that opposing fans usually bundle in other stuff and make a weekend or long weekend out of it. MLB baseball, NFL football, etc. I haven't looked to see if the Twins or Vikings would be in town that weekend but even if that isn't the case, there is lots of other stuff to do and the beauty is the light rail line connects the airport, to the Mall of America, to both downtowns so a lot of visitors don't even bother with cabs or rental cars. I'm sure there will be a thread here dedicated to visitors. There is one every year.

I am not sure the Vikings have their schedule up yet but I do know the Twins will be in Cleveland that weekend

I am not sure the Vikings have their schedule up yet but I do know the Twins will be in Cleveland that weekend

Our fans travel a good bit so I'm sure they'll find some things to do even if there aren't other major sports in town that weekend.

I'm sad I wont be able to make it (saving some $ this year for some things). Any idea what time of day this game may happen? Do you have any usual trends when it comes to OOC opponents early in the season?

I know just about all of our home games before the month of November are night games simply because its too hot until the sun goes down and night games tend to have a higher student turnout.

Our fans travel a good bit so I'm sure they'll find some things to do even if there aren't other major sports in town that weekend.

I'm sad I wont be able to make it (saving some $ this year for some things). Any idea what time of day this game may happen? Do you have any usual trends when it comes to OOC opponents early in the season?

I know just about all of our home games before the month of November are night games simply because its too hot until the sun goes down and night games tend to have a higher student turnout.

Most likely will be an 11am game

Most likely will be an 11am game

College Football News has this matchup as second worst of the Big Ten slate that Saturday:

1. Arizona State at Michigan State
2. Ohio State at Indiana
3. Iowa at Iowa State
4. Pitt at Penn State
5. TCU at Purdue
6. Maryland at Temple
7. NIU at Nebraska
8. UNLV at Northwestern
9. Georgia Southern at Minnesota
10. Eastern Michigan at Illinois

Why soo many rivalry games so early in the season? Is that normal?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Why soo many rivalry games so early in the season? Is that normal?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Eastern Michigan owns Illinois, not sure I'd call that a rivalry.

Haha! Sidenote - who was the last G5 or FCS team you guys lost to? NDSU?

I believe that is correct, 2011

NDSU fans still come here and thump their chest about it

Eastern Michigan owns Illinois, not sure I'd call that a rivalry.

I believe that is correct, 2011

NDSU fans still come here and thump their chest about it

Not shocking. We played them twice in 2011 and 2012 in the FCS playoffs and there is still an NDSU fan that frequents our boards. To be fair though our fans can be just as bad - the 2016 and 2017 seasons humbled us a bit I think.

Top Bottom