Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by #2Gopher View Post
    Not the way I envision the first 2/3 of the season to end. Hopefully they will get an invite to the NIT for the last 1/3. I'm hoping that with another off season we'll do better as a whole next year. Kind of a rocky first year with some positives in play.
    Actually, if the teams in the league that are expected to get the NCAA invite do, wouldn't the Gophers be the automatic bid?

Quote Originally Posted by thatjanelpick View Post
    Actually, if the teams in the league that are expected to get the NCAA invite do, wouldn't the Gophers be the automatic bid?
    Ohio State will get the auto-bid to the WNIT. This isn't like the men's tournament with the half field size though. There's no way the Gophers wouldn't be invited.

Quote Originally Posted by gopherdudepart2 View Post
    This is as dumb a statement as I have ever read on this site. You always reward your upperclassmen with postseason play if invited. Plus it is important to get more practices in for the younger players. This is a new coaching staff, they need more time to work together. You do not grow your program by turning down a chance to play more games, especially at home.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
    Well I'm entitled to my opinion as imbecilic as you find it. And if you just want to be rude and insult me (I haven't insulted anybody personally here), I can keep repeating it. Are the teams that turn down NIT bids also stupid to do so?

Its a long ways before next season. Furthermore it will be about 10-16 days before their next game should the WNIT officially invite them in which I would think would happen. Some practice time is going to take place in preparation of their next game to help shake off some bad vibes from the game with Indiana. I wouldn't pass on an opportunity to play in the WNIT.

Quote Originally Posted by tripledouble View Post
    Will we ever see the Gophers win the BIG conference tournament? The continuous early exits are disappointing.
    Well, I honestly thought that this was going to be the year that we won the B1G tournament. We had the juice to do it. In my mind Iowa was our only hurdle, albeit a big one. I felt that neither Indiana nor Rutgers would be particularly challenging - as long as we didn’t hit a 4th quarter wall that might erase our 10-15 point lead. And I felt there were potential ways to beat Iowa by holding Gustafson down to 25 points. Once past them, admittedly Maryland is no piece of cake, but we effectively beat Maryland this year - all except for the 10+ points that Maryland’s own refs donated to Maryland. On neutral ground with Maryland-owned refs out of the picture, I’m pretty sure we could beat Maryland. So I felt the big challenge was beating Iowa.

Of course every team has a horrible game once in a while. But it’s a bit of a shock to see a tournament run go south already in the first quarter - especially for a team whose troubles are usually depth/fatigue related and come in the 4th quarter.

Makes one wonder to what extent our losses this year might have been psychology related, and not for lack of skill or depth. I know I can imagine what it must have felt like in one of those 4th quarter losses - something like “Oh no, not this again.” Today it seemed like “Oh no, not this again” already in the first quarter.

As far as winning in the Big Ten tournament goes, well maybe next year. And actually, in 2018 we came close (minus one important point). We made it to the final game against Maryland (who we beat at home in 2017-18, so perhaps could beat them again) last year, that is, right up until the last 4 minutes of the semifinal game against Ohio State. At which point Stollings made one of the stupidest coaching mistakes I’ve ever seen, which took us from a 6 point lead, to handing the win over to OSU on a silver platter. Credit Kevin McGuff for being brilliant in taking full advantage of Stollings stupidity. Kevin correctly reasoned that Stollings *always* plays 4 guards, even if doing so will lose the game for the Gophers. So McGuff simply put in 2 posts/3 guards. And Stollings left Taiye Bello, our best rebounder, on the bench. McGuff played a triangle-and-one-and-on-ball zone. With one OSU post handling our only post, their other post roamed free in guard territory chasing the ball, and blocked 80% of our shots. Meanwhile, they got all the rebounds. I think they had one 5-shot possession til they finally scored. While we had 20% chance of a shot and 80% chance of a block. I knew we lost as soon as I saw stupid Stollings not put Taiye in.

But things are looking up. We have a smart coach now. One who needs a little bit more solid play from her current players, and needs a couple more players plus a couple less injuries to remedy depth issues, so we may look forward to winning the Big Ten soon. And soon after that we win the NCAA. At least, that’s what I envision.

Quote Originally Posted by Aesop70 View Post
    Well I'm entitled to my opinion as imbecilic as you find it. And if you just want to be rude and insult me (I haven't insulted anybody personally here), I can keep repeating it. Are the teams that turn down NIT bids also stupid to do so?
    I wouldn’t say they were stupid. I’d say it’s their perogative.

I believe that Rutgers turned down the WNIT last year. At the time I thought it a bit pretentious of them. Or I thought it might be a CVS ego type of thing. But I was conclusion-jumping. For all I know, they might have decided via a team vote.

As for what the Gophers decide, I guess that’s up to them. But I’m casting my vote right now.

I vote that they go win the WNIT. This is a great team that is just a chess-piece or two away from winning the NCAA this season. But it would be a shame to break this team up early. I want to see them play some more.
    Last edited by CutDownTheNet; 03-08-2019 at 01:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CutDownTheNet View Post
    I wouldn’t say they were stupid. I’d say it’s their perogative.

I believe that Rutgers turned down the WNIT last year. At the time I thought it a bit pretentious of them. Or I thought it might be a CVS ego type of thing. But I was conclusion-jumping. For all I know, they might have decided via a team vote.

As for what the Gophers decide, I guess that’s up to them. But I’m casting my vote right now.

I vote that they go win the WNIT. This is a great team that is just a chess-piece or two away from winning the NCAA this season. But it would be a shame to break this team up early. I want to see them play some more.
    Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by GopherJack View Post
    Seriously?
    Well mainly there’s a lot of positivity in my statement. But I do believe that if (purely hypothetically) we had a healthy Hubbard plus a Bueckers added to this year’s players, we could play with the best, such as UConn or Notre Dame or Oregon.

Quote Originally Posted by GopherJack View Post
    Seriously?
    Maybe if the two chess pieces were McCowan and Ionescu, they’d have a case. But even then they’d have the same inexperienced coach that makes poor adjustments or makes good ones too late. I’m not sure CutDownTheNet even saw this game, because it was as disappointing as the Rutgers game and maybe moreso. Little to no creative ball movement. Just relying on Bell bully-ball and the Pitts long bomb three. I think they ended up with 9 assists for the game, which is terrible. They definitely didn’t look like a team they deserved to go to NCAA tournament, if you’re being honest.

Love the positivity, cutdownthenet, but you might want to lay off whatever you've been smoking or drinking. Gophers still a long, long way from competing with the best teams in the country...and even the conference. They're much more than a chess piece away.

And for those of us who have been harping about the lousy non-conference schedule (me included), it's time to admit that this schedule is not the reason the Gophers are not going to the NCAA tourney this year. It might have been the reason they weren't even in the conversation, but not the reason they won't be invited. This team had plenty of chances in conference play. The loss to Illinois and the collapse against Maryland are larger factors in not getting to the NCAA than the non-conference schedule. So even though we can blame the non-conference schedule on Stollings & Company, the current coach and team still have to own their failure to get it done in conference play and the BIG tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by tripledouble View Post
    Love the positivity, cutdownthenet, but you might want to lay off whatever you've been smoking or drinking. Gophers still a long, long way from competing with the best teams in the country...and even the conference. They're much more than a chess piece away.

And for those of us who have been harping about the lousy non-conference schedule (me included), it's time to admit that this schedule is not the reason the Gophers are not going to the NCAA tourney this year. It might have been the reason they weren't even in the conversation, but not the reason they won't be invited. This team had plenty of chances in conference play. The loss to Illinois and the collapse against Maryland are larger factors in not getting to the NCAA than the non-conference schedule. So even though we can blame the non-conference schedule on Stollings & Company, the current coach and team still have to own their failure to get it done in conference play and the BIG tourney.
    We're not a long way from competing with the best in the conference. A healthy Hubbard and one more above average front court player (there's the 2 chess pieces.. lets call them a bishop and rook - for reference: Bell and Pitts are Queens) and we would have probably been in the top 4 in the BIG at the very least.

If you want to win big, you need players with big-time talent. The Gophers have two such players (Bell & Pitts). The rest of the team is hard working, admirable young women, who do their level best, but their skills are mediocre. Lindsay Whalen needs to recruit some players with All-American skills. Not easy to do but not impossible either. What the fan base wants is championship performances. That takes championship talent. It could take 4-5 years to gather that kind of talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Aesop70 View Post
    We're not a long way from competing with the best in the conference. A healthy Hubbard and one more above average front court player (there's the 2 chess pieces.. lets call them a bishop and rook - for reference: Bell and Pitts are Queens) and we would have probably been in the top 4 in the BIG at the very least.
    They show both Hubbard and Tomancova being used as practice players, so if they would have made that much of a difference, I guess it was a bad choice not to bring them back with the superlative Bell.

Quote Originally Posted by Hrothgar View Post
    If you want to win big, you need players with big-time talent. The Gophers have two such players (Bell & Pitts). The rest of the team is hard working, admirable young women, who do their level best, but their skills are mediocre. Lindsay Whalen needs to recruit some players with All-American skills. Not easy to do but not impossible either. What the fan base wants is championship performances. That takes championship talent. It could take 4-5 years to gather that kind of talent.
    Are we off to a good start? Where’s the freshmen representatives for All-League? Who will be the representatives next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Shades View Post
    They show both Hubbard and Tomancova being used as practice players, so if they would have made that much of a difference, I guess it was a bad choice not to bring them back with the superlative Bell.
    I didn't say we already had the chess pieces.. My point was were probably 2 players away from competing toward the top of the BIG10. To your specifics: I'm assuming that they were used lightly in practice because they were both coming off injuries. They probably already decided to redshirt Hubbard. Hubbard seemed to prove last year that she could contribute in mulitiple ways. She is definitely a chess piece. I have no clue what Tomancova is capable of.. that's why I said Hubbard and "an above average front court player"... a hypothetical player that isn't necessarily on the team at the moment.