B1G Tourney Game 1: Gophers versus Indiana (3-7-19)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Naptown: Don’t Sleep on the Gophers.

With Ali Patberg returning from a separated shoulder suffered in the loss to Minnesota (9-9) in Bloomington, the Hoosier’s (8-10) present no mysteries. The only change to the starting lineup in 18 conference games was Grace Berger filling Patberg’s spot during Patberg’s absence. IU’s Minnesota loss was followed by three more Ls (Michigan State, Michigan and Rutgers). Then Patberg returned and the Hoosier’s knocked off Iowa in Bloomington-one of three IU wins over teams Minnesota did not beat (Michigan and Nebraska were the others). The Hoosiers are 0-4 without Patberg and 8-6 with her.

In Bloomington, Minnesota’s 65-61 win was a precursor to their collapse at Maryland. Minnesota was in control 61-49 with 4:02 remaining. Then the Gophers stopped scoring and thinking. With :29 seconds left, Indiana’s layup off a stolen mid-court inbound pass cut the lead to 61-59. IU’s Warthen was fouled on the shot but missed the free throw. HOWEVER, Indiana rebounded the miss, called timeout and set up a three point kill attempt for sharpshooting Jaelynn Penn. Fortunately, Penn missed and finally Minnesota free throwed its way to victory. It was the third win in what became a six game Gopher winning streak.

If only Minnesota could’ve closed out 17 point leads against Illinois and Maryland, we’d be playing to enhance an NCAA resume. Now, two teams whose seasons should’ve, could've been better meet in Indy with both teams desperately needing a W or two or three….

B1G Offense: 6 Minnesota 66.4; 7 Indiana 66.3
B1G Defense: 3 Minnesota 63.2; 9 Indiana 68.3

B1G Scoring:

3 Kenisha Bell 18.6
5 Destiny Pitts 16.6
7 Jaelynn Penn 15.8
12 Ali Patberg 13.8

Starters (In B1G Play):

5’11” G Jr Ali Patberg (13.8 points, 3.9 rebounds, 4.8 assists in 35.4 minutes)
5’10” G So Jaelyn Penn (15.8 points, 3.4 rebounds in 31.6 minutes)
6’2” F Sr Kym Royster (6.5 points, 6.3 rebounds in 21.4 minutes)
6’0” F Jr Brenna Wise (11.1 points, 6.9 rebounds in 33.6 minutes)
5’10” G So Bendu Yeaney (9.3 points, 4.1 rebounds in 32.9 minutes)

Others:

6’0” G Fr Grace Berger (4.9 points, 2.9 rebounds in 20.5 minutes)
6’3” F Fr Aleksa Gulbe (4.8 points, 4.0 rebounds in 18.4 minutes)
6’4” C So Linsey Marchese (.09 points, 1.3 rebounds in 7.8 minutes)

This won't be easy. Essentially, it isn't a neutral court for IU, unless their fans choose not to attend and support. So, this will be more like a road game.

Hoping that our Gophers bring the energy and intensity for this game.

Tough draw but no one to blame but themselves for that. Hope they can come out victorious. Should be a good one.

Practice at Hinkle:
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://www.idsnews.com/article/201...ball-takes-on-minnesota-in-big-ten-tournament

On Feb. 6 in Bloomington, the Hoosiers suffered a 65-61 loss to the Gophers.

IU got off to a slow start in the game, trailing 16-8 at the end of the first quarter, and shot 4-of-17 from the field.

Despite the efforts from Yeaney, 12 points, and sophomore guard Jaelynn Penn, 18 points, IU could never recover from the slow start.

The game took a turn in the third quarter when junior guard Ali Patberg went down and dislocated her shoulder. She had to leave the game and never returned, only playing 24 minutes.

"There's a lot of different dynamics in that game," IU Coach Teri Moren said. "Our kids are looking forward to another opportunity to play Minnesota with our full roster. A healthy Ali Patberg will certainly help. That's the only game we're worried about right now.

The loss was the first of a four-game losing stretch in which Patberg missed each game. Now Patberg is back, and IU is fresh off a win against Purdue. The Hoosiers would want nothing more than to play the Gophers at full strength for a full 40 minutes.

“You're not going to slow her [Bell] down," Moren said. "You're not going to keep her from scoring. You just try to make every shot that she takes difficult. She's really great in the open floor, so our transition defense is going to be important."

Sophomore guard Destiny Pitts joins Bell in the back court to give the Gophers a high-scoring threat from behind the 3-point line. Pitts joined Bell on the All-Big Ten First Team voted on by the media, and scored 17 points against IU earlier this year.

Pitts’ 72 3-pointers made this season are 50 more than anyone else on her team, and 23 more than anyone on IU’s team, which is Penn with 49.

“We've got to do a much better job collectively, I think, at understanding personnel a little bit better, tendencies and what these kids are capable of," Moren said. "Even complimentary pieces around Bell and Pitts."

Time to go on a run. No reason this Gophers team cannot win 3 games in 3 days. I really want the Gophers to get another shot at Iowa. Only way to do that is beat Indiana. Go Gophers!

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Uggg. Bell starts 0-6. Bello with 2 quick fouls. Patberg is going to kill us if Bello sits out most of the game with foul trouble.

Oh boy... now Pitts has 2 fouls after one quarter....

Welcome to the conference tournament. What is the gophers record in this tournament? Seem to always have off games in the conference tournament.

They put up some really terrible shots.... especially Bell.

Pitts now has 3 fouls. Without her in the game, we lose our ability to catch up.

They put up some really terrible shots.... especially Bell.

Shot selection has been unbelievably bad, Pitts shot from dam near halfcourt with a full shot clock.

Our only chance to catch up is if Indiana goes ice cold on shooting. And we have to be able to hit some 3s. It doesn't look good for us.

Our only chance to catch up is if Indiana goes ice cold on shooting. And we have to be able to hit some 3s. It doesn't look good for us.

They might have to guard the three point shot.

Going to take an unbelievable miracle for the 2nd half. Agree with EaganGopher that Indiana is going to have to go ice cold on shooting.

Wasn’t expecting this, I know the Gophers can struggle to score but what happened to the defense? Agree shot selection has been poor as well as rebounding. I guess I was hoping for a better execution in a tournament game.

They just can't play smart. Undisciplined.

Made the mistake of watching the first quarter, which was unbelievably poor from every player in white. Then i wised up and switched to something else. Sounds like I made the right choice.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Had it down to 7 point deficit but now back up to 11 going to the 4th.

Bell 4-20 FG. Uffdaaaaa

Last edited:

Last couple of games, Perez has been afraid to pull the trigger.

Really ugly first half with IU red hot, no D and they are essentially playing a home game. They have more incentive to win as it gets them into the dance. We would have had to win the whole thing to get there. They are showing some fight .

After they see it was a foul, they should keep it as out on Indiana.

Really ugly first half with IU red hot, no D and they are essentially playing a home game. They have more incentive to win as it gets them into the dance. We would have had to win the whole thing to get there. They are showing some fight .

They may have been red hot in the 1st half but they were getting layups and wide open 3s.

They still made them and yes we helped them by playing poor D which I stated.

IU's gone to the slow down and hopefully don't screw yourself over mode but the Gophers don't have enough offense to make them pay.

Waited way too long to apply energy into the defense. I suppose they wanted to conserve for the next game. Now there isn't going to be a next game.

Top Bottom