Sid: P.J. Fleck on some redshirt freshmen who could make an impact in 2019

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

• Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck on some redshirt freshmen who could make an impact in 2019: “Guys like [tight end] Brevyn Spann-Ford and [linebacker] Braelen Oliver, players like that, we’re going to need them to help us. Curtis Dunlap Jr. started the bowl game [at right guard]. That redshirt rule [enabling players to play in four games but still redshirt] has really helped us. With these incoming freshmen we’re going to have to redshirt some of them, too, but also play them for four games.”

http://www.startribune.com/can-gary-kubiak-work-his-quarterback-magic-with-the-vikings/506609182/

Go Gophers!!

Sounds like on his call with Sid, he explained they need to develop their TE passing game. But Fleck seems to throw the ball to guys who can play. He won't utilize a TE just for the sake of utilizing all positions.
If the WR's are way better than his TE options, he'll just use WR's mostly.

Sounds like on his call with Sid, he explained they need to develop their TE passing game. But Fleck seems to throw the ball to guys who can play. He won't utilize a TE just for the sake of utilizing all positions.

If that's the case, I agree with Fleck. Throw the ball to players who can make plays! Our WRs proved last year that they are playmakers.

Sometimes we football fans have a weird fixation on certain things, and throwing to the tight end is one of those things.

I still remember back in 1998, when the Vikings "Three Deep" offense with Moss, Carter and Reed was lighting up NFL scoreboards in a way never seen before. I was listening on my car radio to a postgame call-in show. The Vikings had just finished blowing out another opponent by a lopsided score.

A caller asked (in a Minnesota accent):

"Ya, thanks for takin' my call! Can you tell me why they don't throw the ball to the tight end more?"

Bingo. I'm sure if we recruit another Maxx he would be getting the ball in space.

Get ready for the Brevyn Spann-Ford era folks. The TE will be back in the game plan this fall.

In all fairness, the Gophers have had some very good TE's in recent years. Spaeth, Utecht, Maxx, and Lingen when healthy. Woz had a few moments.

So, older fans are used to seeing TE's catching passes and making plays.

Now, I realize this is a different offensive system. But, we've seen the impact that a good pass-catching TE can have for an offense.

If the Gophers have a good pass-catching TE, I hope the coaches will make the position a bigger part of the offense. I think that's all fans are saying.

Doesn’t matter what system it is ... if the defense knows the TE won’t be getting the ball, they can just treat him as a small 6th OL. It got so bad that they actually were putting Schlueter in there, last year.

If the TE is a legit threat to catch the ball, they have to respect it, and that’s where the TE can help out in the run blocking schemes and where you can get favorable matchups in pass coverage.

And that’s why Pass catching TE are used with great success at all levels of football.

Doesn’t matter what system it is ... if the defense knows the TE won’t be getting the ball, they can just treat him as a small 6th OL. It got so bad that they actually were putting Schlueter in there, last year.

If the TE is a legit threat to catch the ball, they have to respect it, and that’s where the TE can help out in the run blocking schemes and where you can get favorable matchups in pass coverage.

And that’s why Pass catching TE are used with great success at all levels of football.

True, but if you can't trust your oline to protect the QB and your offense is RPO heavy where TE's have run blocking assignments you may not be able to use your TE's as often as you'd like. Get the ball to the best players, period. I expect BSF to be one of those guys next year.

BSF = NFL

He was, by far, the most physically impressive TE on the roster last year.

I agree, he was by far my favorite recruit in the 2018 class.

To be honest, if you watch BSF's junior and senior film and then you watch Darnell Washington's senior film, the #1 TE in the country from Desert Pines who visited here last spring, I would have thought BSF was the 5 star and Washington was the 3 star. I'm not saying that BSF will be better than Washington (although he very well could be) but based solely the film, I would have thought BSF was the better player.

In all fairness, the Gophers have had some very good TE's in recent years. Spaeth, Utecht, Maxx, and Lingen when healthy. Woz had a few moments.

So, older fans are used to seeing TE's catching passes and making plays.

Now, I realize this is a different offensive system. But, we've seen the impact that a good pass-catching TE can have for an offense.

If the Gophers have a good pass-catching TE, I hope the coaches will make the position a bigger part of the offense. I think that's all fans are saying.

I think you are right.

To me, I just like having multiple options.
In the past it seemed like our TE were option 1 and 2 because WR play wasn't what it was this last year.

Jornell Manns is now named Jornell Brooks on gophersports roster...he is another redshirt frosh to watch in addition to Dunlap, Oliver and SpannFord.

Need some of younger olineman to show out: redshirt frosh Boe, Beier.

Not sure what we have in redshirt frosh dlineman Reigelsperger, Ahanotu, Okonji.

Top Bottom