How does the MPAA come up with movie ratings?

MennoSota

Reaction score
A friend posted this link on Facebook.

It got me to wondering how movie ratings are created. I recall partial nudity movies in the 70s that were rated PG. Today it's now PG 13. It seems that the rating is really just the subjective whim of the board reviewers.

What do you think about the process? Is it objective? Is it fair?

https://www.theblaze.com/news/anti-...g-controversy?xrs=RebelMouse_fb&ts=1551114350

In the wake of anti-abortion movie "Unplanned" receiving an R-rating — which the Motion Picture Association of America said was not politically motivated — the filmmakers are disputing the decision, The Hollywood Reporter said.

"Unplanned" — the true story of Abby Johnson, a renowned pro-life activist who once worked for Planned Parenthood — would be the first R-rated movie from distributor Pure Flix Entertainment, known for faith-based and family-friendly films such as "God's Not Dead," the outlet said. "Unplanned" is set for a March 29 release.

The MPAA told The Hollywood Reporter that the "Unplanned" R-rating was for "some disturbing/bloody images" — and informed the filmmakers that all the abortion scenes must be removed or altered or else the R-rating stays.

"We have three scenes in the film which directly address abortion, and the MPAA objected to all three," Cary Solomon, the movie's co-writer and co-director, told the outlet. "They specifically made mention of objection to grainy, black-and-white sonogram images that were part of one of the scenes. It was clear that any meaningful treatment of the issue was going to be objectionable."

Sounds like a film lots of ten year olds are dying to spend their lemonade stand money on, but the man just won’t let them.

It can’t be a horrific procedure and G rated.

Last edited:

Also, any movie displaying images of placenta and other forms of after-birth will also carry an R rating. Birthing is a traumatic, disgusting and vile event not appropriate for viewing by youngsters.

Also, any movie displaying images of placenta and other forms of after-birth will also carry an R rating. Birthing is a traumatic, disgusting and vile event not appropriate for viewing by youngsters.
Perhaps I missed something in the article, but I didn't see that.
Should all the Marvel movies or aliens being blasted be rated R?
I'm simply trying to figure out how a really violent movie can be PG-13 and this movie gets rated R. What makes one different from the other? I would think all the above would be rated R.

Perhaps I missed something in the article, but I didn't see that.
Should all the Marvel movies or aliens being blasted be rated R?
I'm simply trying to figure out how a really violent movie can be PG-13 and this movie gets rated R. What makes one different from the other? I would think all the above would be rated R.
I’ve spent thousands of hours trying to,prevent abortions. Education. Rosary walks. Safe place for newborns. Adoption resources. Get out and save some lives. The rating isn’t causing abortions.

Perhaps I missed something in the article, but I didn't see that. Should all the Marvel movies or aliens being blasted be rated R? I'm simply trying to figure out how a really violent movie can be PG-13 and this movie gets rated R. What makes one different from the other? I would think all the above would be rated R.

The distinction might be that Marvel comics and movies are make-believe fantasies that have entertained countless millions of children for over 50 years while movies about abortion that contain "disturbing/bloody images" is likely to cause more than a few children to break down in tears and possibly give them nightmares for months if not years to come.

The solution seems pretty clear. If parents want their kids to see an R-rated movie all they have to do is bring them to the movie themselves. Problem solved. I really doubt the people complaining about the R-rating for this movie want to live in a world where there are no movie rating systems that parents can rely on for their children. The MPAA rating system might not be perfect but it has been around for a lot of years without a constant stream of controversies coming to our attention.

Pro-Life Movie ‘Unplanned’ Given R-rating, Creators Call It Unfair, Double Standard

According to Fox News, the ratings association claimed that this designation was “in no way politically motivated” and reflected the same standards of judgment as all other films. This ultimately involves a majority decision by an official panel of ten viewers -- “people from all walks of life … all of whom have children.”
https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/c...vie-unplanned-given-r-rating-creators-call-it

Last edited:

I’ve spent thousands of hours trying to,prevent abortions. Education. Rosary walks. Safe place for newborns. Adoption resources. Get out and save some lives. The rating isn’t causing abortions.
Sure, I get what you're saying, but that is not the topic of this thread. My question revolves around how a seemingly non-violent, non-sexual, non-verbally abrasive movie gets an R rating, while a violent movie like the Avengers gets PG-13. It seems quite arbitrary and subjective, based upon whomever was on the ratings board at the time.
If you wish to talk about your views on abortion, please create a different topic thread.

The distinction might be that Marvel comics and movies are make-believe fantasies that have entertained countless millions of children for over 50 years while movies about abortion that contain "disturbing/bloody images" is likely to cause more than a few children to break down in tears and possibly give them nightmares for months if not years to come.

The solution seems pretty clear. If parents want their kids to see an R-rated movie all they have to do is bring them to the movie themselves. Problem solved. I really doubt the people complaining about the R-rating for this movie want to live in a world where there are no movie rating systems that parents can rely on for their children. The MPAA rating system might not be perfect but it has been around for a lot of years without a constant stream of controversies coming to our attention.

Pro-Life Movie ‘Unplanned’ Given R-rating, Creators Call It Unfair, Double Standard

According to Fox News, the ratings association claimed that this designation was “in no way politically motivated” and reflected the same standards of judgment as all other films. This ultimately involves a majority decision by an official panel of ten viewers -- “people from all walks of life … all of whom have children.”
https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/c...vie-unplanned-given-r-rating-creators-call-it

The article I read claimed there was no disturbing, bloody images. Only sonograms and ultrasounds. Plus, there are many PG-13 movies where people get shot and blood flows or babies are born with blood on them.
Perhaps there is no set standard. Maybe because art is so subjective it means that the reviews of the MPAA is also subjective with little objective standard.
I just wondered if anyone had knowledge on the process.

The article I read claimed there was no disturbing, bloody images. Only sonograms and ultrasounds. Plus, there are many PG-13 movies where people get shot and blood flows or babies are born with blood on them.
Perhaps there is no set standard. Maybe because art is so subjective it means that the reviews of the MPAA is also subjective with little objective standard.
I just wondered if anyone had knowledge on the process.

Based on the article I linked in my post, movie ratings are determined by a majority vote of 10 "people from all walks of life ... all of whom have children". According to Wikipedia, the MPAA attempts to define how much sex and violence is acceptable for each one of its movie rating standards. But if the final rating of a movie is determined by a majority vote of 10 unknown people then there is little doubt a lot of subjectivity is involved in the process.

Last edited:

Based on the article I linked in my post, movie ratings are determined by a majority vote of 10 "people from all walks of life ... all of whom have children". According to Wikipedia, the MPAA attempts to define how much sex and violence is acceptable for each one of its movie rating standards. But if the final rating of a movie is determined by a majority vote of 10 unknown people then there is little doubt that a lot of subjectivity is involved in the process.
[emoji106]
Alright, so depending on the 10 people selected, you could have a wide range of opinions.
No doubt there is no data, but I wonder if a production studio could "influence" the 10 people to vote a certain way?

[emoji106]
Alright, so depending on the 10 people selected, you could have a wide range of opinions.
No doubt there is no data, but I wonder if a production studio could "influence" the 10 people to vote a certain way?

If the movie studios are able to find out who the 10 movie raters are there is very little doubt some of the studios would do try to influence them in some way (money, gifts, vacations, etc.). If something can happen - it probably has happened.

Last edited:

Tiny is trying to claw his way back onto the board. Don't give MennoTiny the time of day. The board was too exhausting with him around.

If the movie studios are able to find out who the 10 movie raters are there is very little doubt some of the studios would do try to influence them in some way (money, gifts, vacations, etc.). If something can happen - it probably has happened.

I think you are right. How about an outside group who wanted to see a bad rating. (Generally, I could see an R rating or a G rating be bad for various movie companies) Could a negative "influence" also exist?
I agree that "if something can happen - it probably has happened." If it's done well, no one could trace it...not even Woodward and Bernstein.
In any case, thanks for your input.

there is definitely a disparity between sex and violence when it comes to the ratings.

You can shoot 100 people, and get a PG-13 rating as long as the shootings are not too graphic or bloody. But, show a couple of bare breasts, and that's an R-rating most of the time.

compare today's movies to the films made in the 70's. the 70's as a rule had more nudity and sexual content, but less violence. what that says about our society, I leave to others to determine.

ran across some research on the matter. The majority of films released are rated R, but the films that make the most money are PG-13. there is a lot of pressure by the studios to get that PG-13 rating if the studio is going for that mass-market (i.e. teenagers) audience.

And movies can appeal a rating. happens a lot - movie gets an R, the studio makes some cuts and edits, and re-submits the movie hoping to get the PG-13 instead. Also have been a few rare instances where a movie gets the NC-17, and has to cut some explicit content to get the R. I remember that happened with the Mickey Rourke movie "Angel Heart."

All I know is back in the day when I had HBO, I would get the monthly guide and look for movies that were listed as having "strong sexual content." Of course, that was in the days before the internet........

The MPAA is a private company. You pay them to rate your movie, so you play by their rules. No law forces you to have an MPAA rating in order to sell your film. Lots of “Undated Director’s Cut” sell on DVD/Blu-Ray.

Non-issue.

The MPAA is a private company. You pay them to rate your movie, so you play by their rules. No law forces you to have an MPAA rating in order to sell your film. Lots of “Undated Director’s Cut” sell on DVD/Blu-Ray.

Non-issue.
Can you get your movie distributed to movie theaters without a rating?

Boohoo. Because all the 16 and under crowd really wants to see this crap? Lol.

Can you get your movie distributed to movie theaters without a rating?

Most of the major theater chains have an agreement that they will not carry unrated movies. and the major film distribution companies generally don't handle unrated movies.

So, yes, you can show an unrated movie, but it means finding independent theaters - art-house theaters and so forth - that are willing to show the movie, and probably handling your own distribution. that's a lot of work.

Top Bottom