ESPN: Tempers flare after Nevada upset at Utah State (video)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Nevada forward Jordan Caroline punched a glass fire extinguisher case outside the locker rooms after Utah State upset the No. 12 Wolf Pack on Saturday night in Logan, Utah.

Utah State defeated Nevada 81-76 to take over first place in the Mountain West Conference by a half-game. Fans rushed onto the court immediately following the final whistle while Nevada players were ushered toward a hallway leading to the locker rooms.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Nevada did not make players or coaches available to the media after the game.

"We are working with officials from the Mountain West Conference and Utah State to gather more information about the events that occurred this evening in Logan," a Nevada spokesperson said.

Utah State athletic director John Hartwell also said he would work with the conference to determine the causes of the incident and potential repercussions.

"After being notified of an incident in the hallway of the locker rooms after the completion of the game, I have been consulting with Mountain West Senior Associate Commissioner Dan Butterly, who was in attendance at the game, and Nevada Deputy AD Rory Hickok, who was also in attendance at the game," Hartwell said in a statement. "In addition, I have spoken by phone with Nevada AD Doug Knuth and we will continue to gather information, including surveillance videos of exactly what happened, and work closely with the Mountain West Conference and the University of Nevada to determine what started the situation and how we are going to deal with those involved."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...6124921/tempers-flare-nevada-upset-utah-state

Go Gophers!!

Coaches in the video were saying students punched players and said nasty things to them. Probably impossible to prove it. Super excited, drunk 18-22 year old males storming the court after a big win. Stupid s___ is gonna happen. No idea if it’s feasible to stop, but Utah St could be the most at fault for allowing the court to be stormed?

Somebody must’ve triggered him, he looked really offended.

It is kind of strange in the video that all but one of the Wolfpack players just walk past him and don't really seem all that interested in calming him down or even what he is doing. I wonder if he might the guy on the team that may have more than a little flair for the dramatic?

From what I heard students got very close to Nevada players and some bumped into them but I haven't seen any confirmation or video of anyone throwing punches. Cops could have done a better job but it seems like drama for no good reason. If you're a college athlete or coach, shouldn't you be mature enough not to care about name calling?

Ban court storming. Offenders play their next home game with empty stands. Problem solved.

Update: A source tells ESPN that Jordan Caroline told Nevada coaches that a staff member from Utah State yelled a profanity-laced insult at Caroline.. and that's why he was so upset in the video.

https://twitter.com/michaeleaves/status/1102108772170940416

But tempers flared outside Nevada's locker room. Head coach Eric Musselman and his staff were upset with what happened after the game.

"That was the most unprofessional thing we've ever experienced," a heated Musselman said. "We've got a coach yelling 'f _ _ _ _ _ _" in the handshake line. It's what escalated it. That's what happens when a coach does that, it escalates."

Nevada alleged that an Utah State assistant coach used profanity towards the visiting team after the game, and that fans touched Wolf Pack players as they left the court.

Also, another look at the hallway when a law enforcement officer gets a little too aggressive and pushes Musselman down the hallway:

https://twitter.com/matthewLksl/status/1102066870910251008

They usually go to BYU, not Utah’s ag school??

Utah State has a really high percentage of Mormon kids (something like 75%). This is just a consequence of being in Utah and being in a less cosmopolitan area than University of Utah (like I'm sure there are more people who are evangelicals at Texas A&M than at UT).

BYU is the private school but there are tons of Mormon kids at Utah State.

I agree on the court storming(although this sounds like it was more an assistant coach that caused the majority of this problem) something really bad is going to happen at some point. I have seen numerous examples of players doing a really good job of controlling their emotions when they are getting jostled or yelled at after a game and they are just trying to get back to their locker rooms. At some point a player filled with emotion after a tough loss is going to lose control and a full scale ugly melee is going to breakout.

Utah State has a really high percentage of Mormon kids (something like 75%). This is just a consequence of being in Utah and being in a less cosmopolitan area than University of Utah (like I'm sure there are more people who are evangelicals at Texas A&M than at UT).

BYU is the private school but there are tons of Mormon kids at Utah State.

I guess it’s for Mormon kids who don’t want to commit the perverse honor code at BYU!

Update: A source tells ESPN that Jordan Caroline told Nevada coaches that a staff member from Utah State yelled a profanity-laced insult at Caroline.. and that's why he was so upset in the video.

https://twitter.com/michaeleaves/status/1102108772170940416

But tempers flared outside Nevada's locker room. Head coach Eric Musselman and his staff were upset with what happened after the game.

"That was the most unprofessional thing we've ever experienced," a heated Musselman said. "We've got a coach yelling 'f _ _ _ _ _ _" in the handshake line. It's what escalated it. That's what happens when a coach does that, it escalates."

Nevada alleged that an Utah State assistant coach used profanity towards the visiting team after the game, and that fans touched Wolf Pack players as they left the court.

Also, another look at the hallway when a law enforcement officer gets a little too aggressive and pushes Musselman down the hallway:

https://twitter.com/matthewLksl/status/1102066870910251008

This is what the rumors were as well. People at the game and from some of the video, it appears most of this happened after they left the floor.

There's video of the handshake line. I didn't see any Nevada players reacting like an opposing coach was telling them "F You".

That was a great game to watch. Furious and pretty physical with 7 players fouling out. I do think Utah State got a little home cooking towards the end of the game.

There's video of the handshake line. I didn't see any Nevada players reacting like an opposing coach was telling them "F You".

So you are calling Musselman a lier. I guess that takes him out of your "next coach" discussions.

Top Bottom