Blake Cashman runs 4.52 at Combine!

He slayed all of his drills today. They’re all on Twitter.

37.5 vertical? Wow....

Relative performance (to the other athletes) is what matters, of course ... but I promise, if you measured the vertical position of his hips at the moment he left the ground and at the top of his leap, the difference would be significantly less than 37.5inches.

So skipping the bowl game to work on his combine skills worked out well for Blake.

Relative performance (to the other athletes) is what matters, of course ... but I promise, if you measured the vertical position of his hips at the moment he left the ground and at the top of his leap, the difference would be significantly less than 37.5inches.

Well the distance between the top of his hand when his feet are touching the ground and the top of his hand when at at its highest moment was measured at 37.5 inches meaning he does have a 37.5 inch vertical.

That's not how you measure vertical leap.

Let's hope teams look past his shoulder surgery because Blake Cashman plays with will and determination from a walk-on to team captain.

He'll get drafted. It is only a matter of which round.

Good luck Blake!

Not to hijack the thread but I thought Greene was going to be there as well? Just looked at the NFL webpage and there is no data for him.

Was he invited? Did he sustain an injury?

What does this even mean? Honestly, explain this one to me.

Well the distance between the top of his hand when his feet are touching the ground and the top of his hand when at at its highest moment was measured at 37.5 inches meaning he does have a 37.5 inch vertical.

Incorrect for two main reasons.

1 - doesn’t factor in the length of the foot. Humans don’t leap into the air flat footed. You push down through your heels into the ground but you don’t leave the ground until your feet are completely extended.

2 - you can very easily cheat the Vertec — and every athlete is coached to do this — by shortchanging your initial (flat footed) reach.

These are well known and studied shortcomings of the Vertec. But, the NFL doesn’t care because, again, it’s the relative performance that matters, and perhaps even more importantly, just the opportunity to watch the athlete move explosively in person, that matters.

Last edited:

If Cashman was this type of athlete and also can play why didn't he have a scholarship way earlier? Defensive Adam Thielen?

That's not how you measure vertical leap.

Incorrect. It’s simply not how you use a Vertec.

Granted, the company that makes the Vertec would love the general population to think of its device as the end all, be all of vertical leap measurement.

Cash man has already had a better nfl career than I anticipated.
He will be drafted higher and get more run than I anticipated just based on measurables.

I still don’t think he is quick enough to be an every down linebacker and I don’t think he is big enough to be an every down pass rusher.
In the right scheme he could get a lot of run.

He is faster than I thought though. So he might be quicker than I think too.

Yes and yes.

Incorrect for two main reasons.

1 - doesn’t factor in the length of the foot. Humans don’t leap into the air flat footed. You push down through your heels into the ground but you don’t leave the ground until your feet are completely extended.

2 - you can very easily cheat the Vertec — and every athlete is coached to do this — by shortchanging your initial (flat footed) reach.

These are well known and studied shortcomings of the Vertec. But, the NFL doesn’t care because, again, it’s the relative performance that matters, and perhaps even more importantly, just the opportunity to watch the athlete move explosively in person, that matters.

The length of the foot is irrelevant. The vertical measures high how you jump in the air, not the distance between the ground and the tip of your toe. If you use any other body part as a point of reference besides the tip of your toe, it is accurate.

The vertical measures high how you jump in the air,

The Vertec measures the difference between flat footed reach and vertical leaping reach. That means you get the length of your foot included in the difference. No one leaps into the air flat footed.

Cashman is one of the better open field tacklers I’ve seen for the Gophers. I’m not sure what you saw.

I guess 6 straight weeks of the defense being torched led me to question the person in the middle.
Especially as I saw him out of position and missing tackles particularly against Maryland and Illinois.

Hopefully I’m wrong and he ends up an nfl starter

Let's hope teams look past his shoulder surgery because Blake Cashman plays with will and determination from a walk-on to team captain.

He'll get drafted. It is only a matter of which round.

Good luck Blake!

Hoping Blake gets drafted by a good team with a good fit for him, but the medicals are the single most critical aspect of the entire combine. If he doesn't check out with a clean bill of health, none of those combine numbers will matter much.

Incorrect. It’s simply not how you use a Vertec.

Granted, <b>the company that makes the Vertec would love the general population to think of its device as the end all, be all of vertical leap measurement.</b>

Vertec has brainwashed the general population. My kids were raised on a lie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess 6 straight weeks of the defense being torched led me to question the person in the middle.
Especially as I saw him out of position and missing tackles particularly against Maryland and Illinois.

Hopefully I’m wrong and he ends up an nfl starter

Wierd such a poor player gets invited to the combine.

Vikings are taking him in the 4th if he's still there!

The length of the foot is irrelevant. The vertical measures high how you jump in the air, not the distance between the ground and the tip of your toe. If you use any other body part as a point of reference besides the tip of your toe, it is accurate.

He is just trying to troll you. A person can “cheat” the Voltec by not reaching as high for the standing reach. They make get 3-5 extra inches for the jump.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cash man has already had a better nfl career than I anticipated.
He will be drafted higher and get more run than I anticipated just based on measurables.

I still don’t think he is quick enough to be an every down linebacker and I don’t think he is big enough to be an every down pass rusher.
In the right scheme he could get a lot of run.

He is faster than I thought though. So he might be quicker than I think too.

Well, there sure are a lot of LB’s at the combine that are wasting their time since most are slower than Cashman.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Makes sense. He was one of those guys who just always seemed to be in on every play even if he started on the other side of the field.

Top Bottom