Blake Cashman runs 4.52 at Combine!

Eric Kendricks was 6’ 1/4”, 232 lbs at his combine, and ran 4.61 in the 40. I have no idea what his current playing weight is, but I can’t imagine it’s much more than that. If I looked around, I’m sure I could find other examples like this. Why is Cashman considered too small to be a starter in the league?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

On a more productive point, Cashman’s performance at the combine was outstanding. However, how he plays on the field (on film) will be the most critical factor for being drafted and how high.

He is undersized, but there are guys with his kind of exceptional speed that make an NFL living on special teams. Regardless of whether he becomes a regular at LB, he has a great opportunity to make it as a special teams player.

Average size for NFL LB is 6'2" 245lbs.

Average size for NFL LB is 6'2" 245lbs.
This is the analysis from the NFL Combine website. It no doubt was written before the combine b/c it made some bad assumptions, but about speed and athleticism, not size.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/blake-cashman?id=32194341-5331-6185-2b37-0d7120bc9212

Overview
Limited WILL linebacker who isn't big and isn't fast, but plays with determination and a nose for the ball. Former walk-ons usually have chips on their shoulders that are permanent fixtures and Cashman is no different. He's made the most out of every opportunity he's created for himself, but his lack of athletic traits and length create a small margin for error in his play. If he can improve in taking on blocks and play more instinctively, he could have a chance as a back-end backup and core special-teamer.

This is the analysis from the NFL Combine website. It no doubt was written before the combine b/c it made some bad assumptions, but about speed and athleticism, not size.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/blake-cashman?id=32194341-5331-6185-2b37-0d7120bc9212

Overview
Limited WILL linebacker who isn't big and isn't fast, but plays with determination and a nose for the ball. Former walk-ons usually have chips on their shoulders that are permanent fixtures and Cashman is no different. He's made the most out of every opportunity he's created for himself, but his lack of athletic traits and length create a small margin for error in his play. If he can improve in taking on blocks and play more instinctively, he could have a chance as a back-end backup and core special-teamer.

That’s pretty funny.

Overview

When I saw this line under “weaknesses,”I just figured he didn’t watch much film on Cashman.

“Plays quickly but lacks true sideline-to-sideline range”

Overview

This is hilarious read. He's average size for LB.

Blake’s size is fine for LB. Now, if we were trying to say it was fine to play DE on the LOS because he would be an “edge rusher” - well, that would be silly.

Blake’s size is fine for LB. Now, if we were trying to say it was fine to play DE on the LOS because he would be an “edge rusher” - well, that would be silly.

Yeah. Too small to be an every down pass rusher in a 3-4 which is what I thought might be his niche.
At a true linebacker his size isn’t much of issue

He's perfect sized for a 4-3 defense for a linebacker.

Linebackers in 3-4 tend to be in the 240-260 range.

What was dissappointing for me was in Fleck's first year, he didn't really play Cashman much. I'm sure it had to do with him not knowing what he really had. All of us fans who saw the last part of his Sophomore season saw how good he was, especially when he lit up the Washington State game. Then the next year, Fleck didn't play him as much as he should have. I'm pretty sure that's why Cashman's name wasn't really out there as this is really his first full season as a Starter.

Cashman has had several shoulder surgeries and I think one or two came after the 2017 season, which may provide an explanation of why he didn't see the field as much as he had in 2016.

Cashman's individual workouts with teams will be a huge factor on where he's drafted. Given his size, he's likely going to have to show ability to play in pass coverage. He could project as an inside guy in a 3-4 if he shows he can perform that aspect of the game.

Seeing tweets where he is now projected to be a first round guy. That would be amazing. I remember there was some question at one point about if he would even get an invite to the combine. Then yeah, will go to combine but will most likely be a free agent pickup for someone. Now whispers about first round. It should be very interesting to see where he actually does go.

Seeing tweets where he is now projected to be a first round guy. That would be amazing. I remember there was some question at one point about if he would even get an invite to the combine. Then yeah, will go to combine but will most likely be a free agent pickup for someone. Now whispers about first round. It should be very interesting to see where he actually does go.

Even jumping to the third round would be great considering where he was projected to go. If he found his way into the first round....that would be unheard of.

Someone should start a poll to guess the round...
I'll go with 5th round.

The updated Walter Football Mock Draft has Cashman going #67 overall to the 49ers.

He'd be perfect in my 49ers defense. The 49ers run the Seattle-Seahawks Defense and I think Cashman is the ideal fit for the Sam linebacker position. In our defense, the Sam plays on the line of scrimmage next to the Leo D-Lineman (who is a smaller DE that mostly acts as an edge rusher). Think Cashman has proven he can play the Sam and Leo if push comes to shove. He could also play the Will linebacker position too. Would be great depth for my squad!

Last edited:

One knock I read somewhere was that he has pretty short arms and wingspan, literally the shortest arms and wingspan of any LB at the combine, at 30 1/8" and 73 5/8", respectively. That won't help his stock for the next level but he still crushed the combine and his production and tape is fantastic.

CBS Sports' latest 2-round mock:

42 BENGALS
Blake Cashman, LB, Minnesota
The Bengals linebacker group is in shambles, and after many believed Cashman was a quality, well-rounded prospect without requisite athleticism, the Minnesota star crushed his combine workout.

CBS Sports' latest 2-round mock:

42 BENGALS
Blake Cashman, LB, Minnesota
The Bengals linebacker group is in shambles, and after many believed Cashman was a quality, well-rounded prospect without requisite athleticism, the Minnesota star crushed his combine workout.

Heck yeah!!!

It’s funny cause I saw somewhere else (post-combine) he was going to be an UDFA

I remember the announcer for the bowl game was ripping Blake for not playing saying he wasnt sure he'd even get drafted....ha

I remember the announcer for the bowl game was ripping Blake for not playing saying he wasnt sure he'd even get drafted....ha
Not sure Blake had a choice anyway.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Not sure Blake had a choice anyway.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

hmmmmm, that's right. I almost forgot about that little detail of our bowl game. Some guys didn't play for various reasons.......

Thing is Blake running that 4.5 flat is what make a lot of folks (well at least the draft industry folks, have no idea how much it affected actual NFL scouts) go and reevaluate him. Or, more accurately, evaluate him in the first place. So sounds like taking that time to train could've made a huge difference for him

Thing is Blake running that 4.5 flat is what make a lot of folks (well at least the draft industry folks, have no idea how much it affected actual NFL scouts) go and reevaluate him. Or, more accurately, evaluate him in the first place. So sounds like taking that time to train could've made a huge difference for him

I agree, Blake made the right choice. I was just more amused with the bowl game comments. Clearly they didnt watch much tape prior to the bowl game. Not knowing what his combine results would be, his game tape sure passed the eye test of more than likely getting drafted.

Yup.

The measurables are the part he didn’t have.
I personally wouldn’t use a first or second round pick on him.

In the right scheme though he could be a contributor. He isn’t the right fit for every scheme

Yup.

The measurables are the part he didn’t have.
I personally wouldn’t use a first or second round pick on him.

In the right scheme though he could be a contributor. He isn’t the right fit for every scheme

Plenty of players are drafted high that aren’t the best fit for every scheme. If OK puts out a left handed midget QB that runs better than he throws somebody will overdraft him because Russell Wilson.

Like others have said Cashman’s draft fate probably rests more on what teams think of his surgically repaired shoulders. He’s a flat out playmaker with 90th percentile athleticism to boot. Perhaps a poll is in order.

Plenty of players are drafted high that aren’t the best fit for every scheme. If OK puts out a left handed midget QB that runs better than he throws somebody will overdraft him because Russell Wilson.

Like others have said Cashman’s draft fate probably rests more on what teams think of his surgically repaired shoulders. He’s a flat out playmaker with 90th percentile athleticism to boot. Perhaps a poll is in order.

Honestly I wouldn’t draft cashman until the 4th round or so. So if I was a GM my team probably wouldn’t get him.

Top Bottom