Blake Cashman runs 4.52 at Combine!

The way he is rising Blake Cashman might slip into being the 5th Gopher first rounder in the past 50 years.

Excited to see a walk-on who worked so hard have things work out for him!

Cash man has already had a better nfl career than I anticipated.
He will be drafted higher and get more run than I anticipated just based on measurables.

I still don’t think he is quick enough to be an every down linebacker and I don’t think he is big enough to be an every down pass rusher.
In the right scheme he could get a lot of run.

He is faster than I thought though. So he might be quicker than I think too.

This is what I said about Cashman in March, to the guy questioning me saying I wouldn’t take him with a first 3 round pick until after the third round

This is what I said about Cashman in March, to the guy questioning me saying I wouldn’t take him with a first 3 round pick until after the third round

Just because he wasn’t taken in the first three rounds, doesn’t make your evaluation correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let’s be clear - I called you out for posting, “I personally wouldn’t consider taking him in the first three rounds” literally minutes after the third round ended.

I checked the draft tracker on NFL.com to get some information on Cashman. They give him the 12th highest rating of any LB in the draft. So far only 6 linebackers have been selected, and only one of those was rated behind him (and that person was 13th). So maybe his draft position, or lack of one so far, is more a product of teams not taking linebackers thus far more so than what they think of his talent.

I checked the draft tracker on NFL.com to get some information on Cashman. They give him the 12th highest rating of any LB in the draft. So far only 6 linebackers have been selected, and only one of those was rated behind him (and that person was 13th). So maybe his draft position, or lack of one so far, is more a product of teams not taking linebackers thus far more so than what they think of his talent.

Agree. There just aren't many 3-down LB's anymore. A lot of teams play most of the game with 2 LB's or in long down-and-distance situations, they may only have one true LB on the field.

simple equation - teams do not use as many LB's anymore, ergo they don't need as many LB's on the roster. doesn't mean Cashman isn't a good player. it just means he has a somewhat more limited market given his skill set.

He will be on an NFL roster next season. I would bet Cash Money on that.

Just because he wasn’t taken in the first three rounds, doesn’t make your evaluation correct.

You’re right. It doesn’t make my evaluation correct.
I hope I’m wrong and he is a long term starter in the nfl.

I think he will have a 5-10 year nfl career as a special teamer, quality backup, and spot starter.

This would still be an amazing career. I hope I’m wrong and he is a multiple year starter and pro bowl hall of fame player

You’re right. It doesn’t make my evaluation correct.
I hope I’m wrong and he is a long term starter in the nfl.

I think he will have a 5-10 year nfl career as a special teamer, quality backup, and spot starter.

This would still be an amazing career. I hope I’m wrong and he is a multiple year starter and pro bowl hall of fame player

Personally, I wouldn’t take him in the first 115 picks.

Yup.

The measurables are the part he didn’t have.
I personally wouldn’t use a first or second round pick on him.

In the right scheme though he could be a contributor. He isn’t the right fit for every scheme

Spoofin, I guess I never said third round initially.
I just said first second.

If this makes you happy,
I’m glad for you

Personally, I wouldn’t take him in the first 115 picks.

Where would you take him.
If I didn’t need a line backer I don’t think he is good enough to draft when it isn’t a position of need.
I would probably take him in the 5th round or later if I was 3-4.
I’d probably go 6-7th round if I was a 4-3.

I think he fits better in a 3-4 because he is better at pass rushing than anything else and the 3-4 gives you more blitz possibilities for a backer.

Honestly I don’t follow the draft very well.
If I think Cashman will be a quality backup and special teams player...what round should he go

For someone who doesn’t follow very well, that sounds like 6-7 UDFA to me.
But maybe it is pretty common to get guys who aren’t seen as future starters in rounds 3-4.

Obviously If a team sees him as a starter they’ll pick him earlier

Where would you take him.
If I didn’t need a line backer I don’t think he is good enough to draft when it isn’t a position of need.
I would probably take him in the 5th round or later if I was 3-4.
I’d probably go 6-7th round if I was a 4-3.

I think he fits better in a 3-4 because he is better at pass rushing than anything else and the 3-4 gives you more blitz possibilities for a backer.
Looks like you were right. Jets in 5th round. 3-4 D

Obviously, Vikings were going to take him with next pick, which they quickly traded to the Pats. Too bad.

Looks like you were right. Jets in 5th round. 3-4 D

I think it is a good spot for him.
Not sure what they’re roster looks like but if he is their 5-6th backer right away he will see time as a rookie and will probably be on a lot of the special teams.

Not that surprised he was a 3rd day guy. Interesting that he and Connelly both went in the 5th round. I think Cashman's ceiling is higher than Connelly's, but they both should be contributors in the NFL. Not surprised that Badger star LB Edwards wasn't drafted. Total systems guy.

Top Bottom