Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 91 to 100 of 100
  1. #91

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    So, knowing that the courts smile upon restraint of trade/free marketplaces when it please them, and it pleases them to have a competitive NFL league, how does this affect the arguments regarding the NCAA and it’s desire to produce a competitive league?
    It won't affect it, because this is a wild tangent that you invented out of whole cloth. No one is suing the NCAA because restraint on "free trade".

    Alston v NCAA is about the NCAA violating antitrust laws.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    The NFL is different in that the players are classified as employees, and are able to unionize. What would it take for NCAA players to be reclassified as employees? How could the schools counter that? There are legal tests for determining employment status. You do the research and see what turns up.
    Players at Northwestern already tried to form a player's union, a couple(?) years ago, as you may recall. I don't remember all the particulars, but it was a national issue, and it ultimately failed. I do also seem to recall that at least one state (Ohio?) put forth a bill to make a state law making it illegal for college athletes to be employees, or something alone those lines, in response to the the NW union news.

    Would be interesting to look that stuff up again.
    Last edited by Gophers_4life; 03-09-2019 at 04:39 PM.


  2. #92
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    10,290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    I've never seen any post of yours where you make a reasonabe argument that allowing player compensation in other forms than, and of greater monetary value than, an FCOA scholarship, will harm the Gophers chances of competing (against whom??). Please link to it. I don't think it exists.
    Your act grows thin. Even with overwhelming evidence of the many hurdles you refuse to even postulate a workable plan as I asked you to do weeks ago.

    Give us details of your plan.

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    10,290

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    It won't affect it, because this is a wild tangent that you invented out of whole cloth. No one is suing the NCAA because restraint on "free trade".

    Alston v NCAA is about the NCAA violating antitrust laws.




    Players at Northwestern already tried to form a player's union, a couple(?) years ago, as you may recall. I don't remember all the particulars, but it was a national issue, and it ultimately failed. I do also seem to recall that at least one state (Ohio?) put forth a bill to make a state law making it illegal for college athletes to be employees, or something alone those lines, in response to the the NW union news.

    Would be interesting to look that stuff up again.
    Wow

  4. #94

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    Even with overwhelming evidence of the many hurdles
    There isn’t evidence of one hurdle, let alone many.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    you refuse to even postulate a workable plan
    I answered every question you asked, as best I could. I said then, you wouldn’t be satisfied. But that was back when I thought you were interested honest discussion. Definitely won’t be putting that level of effort into post again, unless you start being more honest.

  5. #95

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    Wow

    New knowledge can be shocking.

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    10,290

    Default

    Can you entertain us with your argument? The Alston trial alleges that schools really want to pay players, but the NCAA is restricting that, correct?

    The NCAA has rules to promote a level playing field. The schools agree by those rules. None of them, not one, is arguing in court they want to play players. Why in the world would they want to do that?

    Similarly, the NFL restricts its member teams under a salary cap, free agency, the draft and other eligibility rules. All these things are perfectly legal.

    Years ago every Supreme Court justice recognized amateurism is important for a competitive field and for the flavor of the product.

    Only you, and a few others, haven’t thought this through very well.

    Now give us a workable plan or go away and stop wasting our time with your inane posts.

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    10,290

    Default

    Reading through stories on the recent decision it’s clear Wilken does not and did not support a free market or “paying players” or unrestrained free agency in college athletics. This is a nothingburger. Any increase in scholarship funds must be linked to educational purposes:

    Judge Wilken’s injunction lists a series of “education-related” items that the NCAA is now permanently restrained from capping. They include education benefits related to “computers, science equipment, musical instruments and other tangible items not included in the cost of attendance calculation but nonetheless related to the pursuit of academic studies.” This list can also be amended by a court-approved motion of the NCAA or the players.

    I guess we got all bent out of shape over nothing. Even this ruling will likely be ignored by many/most conferences as it has Title IX implications and will invite yet more lawsuits. When the players and lawyers find they aren’t going to become filthy rich via the courts they will apply for the upcoming XFL and PPFL leagues instead which intend to take players out of high school.

  8. #98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gophers_4life View Post
    Hsu's point was that the value of Clayton Thorson's benefits were in the mid 70's thousand, while in-state Zach Annaxstad's benefits (including scholarship now) are less than 30 thousand.
    Yet Northwestern doesn't have it's pick of the litter when it comes to recruiting? Strange.

  9. #99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WoodburyTim View Post
    Yet Northwestern doesn't have it's pick of the litter when it comes to recruiting? Strange.
    Rumor has it that the academic standards at Northwestern are pretty high. That might be a bit of a barrier for some players.

    Remember the guy who said he didn't choose a certain university just to "play school"? That type of player isn't going to go to Northwestern.
    --------------

    "7 National Titles...

    ... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".

  10. #100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WoodburyTim View Post
    Yet Northwestern doesn't have it's pick of the litter when it comes to recruiting? Strange.
    Academic standards

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •