Arizona State University

#2Gopher

Reaction score
Nice win tonight for the Gophers (5-1). Gophers kept their cool particularly in the 3rd when ASU decided to play a different brand of hockey. ASU rated #12 was without their leading sniper who was injured in practice this week. They hope to have him back for the NCCA's.

Regardless, hoping that the Gophers are peaking and putting it all together at the right time.

ASU was getting pretty dirty there towards the end. Nice that the Gophers were able to pour it on.

ASU looked AWFUL.

But the Gophers capitalized, beat a tournament team, and should get their first home sweep since calendar year 2017 if they play even decent tomorrow night.

5-2 tonight over ASU and a weekend sweep. Very strong ending to the season going 5-1 with a sweep @ #2 OSU, split against #16 ND, and home sweep over #12 ASU. Unfortunately....it is probably a little too late as far as the NCAA tournament goes. Not sure how the Big Ten Tournament games factor into it all. Probably need to win the Big Ten Tournament.

ASU is 5-10-1 against teams ranked 29th or better. It’s an embarrassment that they make the tournament.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5-2 tonight over ASU and a weekend sweep. Very strong ending to the season going 5-1 with a sweep @ #2 OSU, split against #16 ND, and home sweep over #12 ASU. Unfortunately....it is probably a little too late as far as the NCAA tournament goes. Not sure how the Big Ten Tournament games factor into it all. Probably need to win the Big Ten Tournament.

We have known this for weeks. Tournament Champs or out.

I was looking at the ASU roster. Surprised to see Mario Lemieux's son, Austin, on the roster. I have a friend who worked for the Penguins and lives in Sewickley, PA. Finally a Minnesota team beats a team with a Lemieux playing on it. [emoji41]

ASU is 5-10-1 against teams ranked 29th or better. It’s an embarrassment that they make the tournament.

And Minnesota went 5-2-3 vs teams ranked Top 8, in the pairwise rankings and won't make the tourney. 3-1 vs #16 ND as well.

2-2 against numbers 57 and 59 out of 60.

If they had beaten them they probably wouldn't have to win four in a row or four in five to get in. This is a 15 to 20 or so place team in the country. That's not bad. Not amazing. It is what it is.

And if they get into the NCAA tourney, they will have to hope not to run across those 2 programs, right? lol

And the Gophers should stop scheduling what should be auto wins. Who knows? Those two dumpster losses could have been the difference between making the tournament and being left out.

Quote below is from Gopher Puck Live by someone basically stating the same issue I was expressing.

I'd say there's a solid chance of the Gophers heading to Columbus in 3 weeks, to be honest. About the only option I really see as a true problem would be going to Penn State, for some reason, the Gophers just can't do that the last couple years.

How do you mean?

Ah. I just doubt we see them in the tournament. We drew Michigan in the first round. For us to get them in the second round....we'll (#3) need to beat Michigan (#6), Penn State (#4) will have to beat Wisconsin (#5), and Michigan State (#7) will have to beat Notre Dame (#2).

I just can't see MSU beating ND. And if that doesn't happen and all the highest seeds win...we'll go to South Bend to play ND and PSU will go to Columbus to play OSU. In that case....we'll need to beat ND and and PSU will have to beat OSU in order to meet in the championship. A lot would have to fall into place for the Gophers to match up with PSU.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...ccuses-arizona-state-of-dirty-hits/506736992/

Gophers hockey coach Bob Motzko was not happy about "dirty hits" from Arizona State this past weekend. And at least one player is out for significant time because of one.

Motzko said on his radio show Tuesday evening that one player will be out four to six weeks after a knee-on-knee incident. That player is freshman winger Nathan Burke, a source confirmed. Burke left Saturday's game late in the second period after colliding with Arizona State's Anthony Croston.

In all, Arizona State committed 15 penalties for 41 minutes throughout the series. Motzko said three of his players came out of the weekend injured. Another was freshman Sampo Ranta, who missed most of the second period Saturday after a big collision with Arizona State's Jacob Wilson. Ranta needed several stitches under his chin, and Wilson is now suspended two games.

Top Bottom