2019 MN United In-Season thread

Like most Americans I only pay attention to futbol every four years and only if the US is in the WC. A friend invited me to the game last night and I went not knowing what to expect. I was super impressed by the whole experience. The stadium is beautiful and easy to move around in. The fans are enthused and I loved all of the singing and organized cheers. MNUFC was clearly not as skilled as the Galaxy but their defense was strong enough to get the tie. If their forwards had been more skilled they would have scored once or twice. I don't know anything about the economics of the team or the league but if the new TV contract is decent, I would guess the league will have a chance to buy better players from Europe and the sport will continue to grow. As a novice, I had a great time and will definitely go back.

It's an excellent time.
The MLS keeps expanding so I'm not sure what their long term vision is, but time is only on their side. As long as they don't do something to cause it to self-destruct, it should only gain in popularity.

Great to hear you had a great time! Soccer has quickly become my favorite live sporting even to attend. BTW the USMNT is playing a gold cup game here in June, you should check it out if you like watching the national team play!

I liked that the game took less than two hours. American sports are now interminable. I liked that they shut off the piped in music once the game started. As I said earlier, the game day experience was great. I liked that the action was continuous (except for fake injuries). The low caliber of play will eventually change. The deal breaker may be the lack of scoring. Will that fit with the American psyche?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I liked that the game took less than two hours. American sports are now interminable. I liked that they shut off the piped in music once the game started. As I said earlier, the game day experience was great. I liked that the action was continuous (except for fake injuries). The low caliber of play will eventually change. The deal breaker may be the lack of scoring. Will that fit with the American psyche?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah you attended a bad game for scoring. Our last home game was a 3-3 draw and our previous game we lost 4-3 so we are definitely playing in some games with lots of goals. I'm with you on the fake injuries. One thing the MLS has going for it is as a league (and this is just my opinion) the players generally try to fight through tackles more rather than just go down to get the free kick like in a lot of the European leagues.

First win at Allianz! Take that, Rooney!

First win at Allianz! Take that, Rooney!

Super impressive what our D did against 2 of the biggest stars in the game (rooney and zlatan). To blank both teams really is unbelievable. Now if our midfield and forwards would get their act together and score some goals again.

I'm done with the Danladi experiment he's so out of position on the outside.

Super impressive what our D did against 2 of the biggest stars in the game (rooney and zlatan). To blank both teams really is unbelievable. Now if our midfield and forwards would get their act together and score some goals again.

I'm done with the Danladi experiment he's so out of position on the outside.

Yeah, Danladi needs to be a late sub. He has pace but his touch is awful.

As far as getting midfield and forwards together and fixing the attack, it seems like partially that's the trade off we get for removing Calvo and putting Schuller where he is. We miss that pressure up the left side but also don't open ourselves up to completely boneheaded mistakes that lead to opposing goals. I'm fine with 1-0 types of games if it means we're winning, though do think we can expect more offensively once Molino is back up to speed. Also think Quintero needs to rest a week or two. He has been nursing an injury and just isn't playing that well right now. Part of it could be that he and Rodriguez don't really complement each other but I also think he's just not himself at the moment.

Calvo is gone. Loons get $400k+ in allocation money in return.

https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2019...francisco-calvo-chicago-fire-allocation-money

Can't say I'm surprised. Calvo was a defensive liability this year (to say the least), and his late red vs Toronto and subsequent removal from the available team last week spoke volumes about where he stood in the organization. Do I wish we got more? Yeah ... it wasn't that long ago that he seemed like a high-level starter. But I am glad we got something for him and got him out of the locker room. I think the team will be better without him in the mix, and hopefully the added allocation money means we can buy down some contracts and make a move (or two) in the summer transfer window.

See ya later Calvo, don't let the door hit you on your way out!

Our defense is so much better without him in there. What are we going to do with the 400k I wonder.

Kind of sucks he's going to chicago though since we play them soon. The sports gods will probably let him have the game of his life.

See ya later Calvo, don't let the door hit you on your way out!

Our defense is so much better without him in there. What are we going to do with the 400k I wonder.

We can use some of it to buy down Rodriguez's contract and free up a DP spot. I hope that's the case and we bring in a young defensive mid to learn from Ozzie and be ready to take his minutes next year, or a better defender than Eric Miller to play opposite Metanire, or an exciting young attacking forward that can pair better with our midfield than Rodriguez. Not saying Angelo hasn't been good this year - he has - but not convinced the attack is as good as it could be and think some of our key pieces (Quintero, Molino, Gregus) would do better with a different style of striker than a guy that tries to hold ground and distribute up top.

Another tie at home. Hard to be mad as we probably should've lost, and Seattle is a top-notch team. Anxious to stop playing the top teams in the league week in and week out and start finding ourselves against "lesser" opponents. This summer should be fun.

Another tie at home. Hard to be mad as we probably should've lost, and Seattle is a top-notch team. Anxious to stop playing the top teams in the league week in and week out and start finding ourselves against "lesser" opponents. This summer should be fun.

3 games in a row against top 5 teams in the league and we won 1 and tied 2. That is pretty dang good.

3 games in a row against top 5 teams in the league and we won 1 and tied 2. That is pretty dang good.

Yep. To date we've played one of the toughest schedules in the league. Our last month in particular has been rough.

@ NYRB (14th in Supporter's Shield standings)
vs NYC (11th)
@ Toronto (9th)
vs LA Galaxy (2nd)
vs DC (4th)
vs Seattle (6th)

But - at least at the moment - June through August looks much more manageable.

vs Philadelphia (3rd)
@ Colorado (24th)
vs Cincinnati (22nd)
vs San Jose (16th)
@ Montreal (8th)
vs Dallas (7th)
@ Salt Lake (17th)
vs Vancouver (21st)
vs Portland (18th)
@ Dallas (7th)
vs Colorado (24th)
vs Orlando (13th)
@ Kansas City (19th)

If we're serious about contending for a playoff spot this year we need to come out of the summer months in very good shape (probably top four in conference, at least top five). The remaining seven games on the schedule are substantially more difficult with two games against LAFC (1st) and away games at Houston (5th) and Seattle (6th).

Last edited:

Going to be a cold and possibly super wet game Saturday night. I'm glad we chose seats under the over hang! Go Loons!

Could not ask for better weather today. Can't wait to get to the game. Hope they keep their home streak alive!

That loss sucked. I know Philly is on top of the east right now but we dominated 95% of that game and really should have won it. Does Rodriguez ever have any urgency getting a shot off? He's got to have the slowest release of anyone I've ever seen.

Wow, never would have guessed we'd beat Houston in the open cup last night. 3 goals in the 2nd half to win 3-2 was fun to watch even if I was only watching on my phone while I watched the panama T&T game.

Wow, never would have guessed we'd beat Houston in the open cup last night. 3 goals in the 2nd half to win 3-2 was fun to watch even if I was only watching on my phone while I watched the panama T&T game.

There was a great moment captured on TV during that game when you can hear the stadium react to the third Loons goal:

<blockquote class="reddit-card" data-card-created="1561036109"><a href="https://www.reddit.com/r/minnesotaunited/comments/c2ocdn/the_moment_mnufc_went_up_32_against_houston/?ref=share&ref_source=embed">The moment MNUFC went up 3-2 against Houston during the Gold Cup broadcast</a> from <a href="http://www.reddit.com/r/minnesotaunited">r/minnesotaunited</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//embed.redditmedia.com/widgets/platform.js" charset="UTF-8"></script>

Loons draw New Mexico United at Allianz on July 10 after NM beat Dallas last night. Should be a fun night - three wins away from a trophy!

There was a great moment captured on TV during that game when you can hear the stadium react to the third Loons goal:

Loons draw New Mexico United at Allianz on July 10 after NM beat Dallas last night. Should be a fun night - three wins away from a trophy!

Yeah our group was watchign it on our phones and were totally annoying the people around us because we kept screaming and it had nothing to do with the game on the field. Then when we scored our 3rd goal we really started screaming and about 2 seconds later (sound delay from opposite end of thefield) you could hear the cheer from the beer hall the everybody erupted. It was great!

I'll be there the 10th. Tickets were dirt cheap.

Another win tonight. Yes, it was vs a USL League One team, and yes Forward Madison is an affiliate with the Loons... But, it's still a team from Wisconsin, and Minnesota won. ;) :drink:

Most goals in franchise history as the Loons down Brazil ... err, Cincinnati 7-1.

In other news, Cincinnati is BAD.

Most goals in franchise history as the Loons down Brazil ... err, Cincinnati 7-1.

In other news, Cincinnati is BAD.

I don't think BAD does it justice. Cincy is absolutely gawd-awful. the Loons missed several passes early in the game that could have led to scoring chances. this game could have been even worse.

I thought it was interesting that the TV crew was talking about the Loons possibly acquiring some new players - I assume through the transfer window - for a playoff push. And the color guy was raving about Toye as a prospect. that goal of his was pretty.

I don't think BAD does it justice. Cincy is absolutely gawd-awful. the Loons missed several passes early in the game that could have led to scoring chances. this game could have been even worse.

I thought it was interesting that the TV crew was talking about the Loons possibly acquiring some new players - I assume through the transfer window - for a playoff push. And the color guy was raving about Toye as a prospect. that goal of his was pretty.

Toye has really come on strong. I don't think they will be sending him back to milwaukee and I could see them moving him to acquire someone else. There are lots of areas they could improve, I'd like them to buy Rodriguez's contract down. i konw thats weird to say after what was one of his better games and where he hooked up well with Darwin but I don't think their styles are right for eachother. I do think they need to make a couple moves to help guarantee a play off spot to keep their momentum with the fans going. We are barely in a play off spot now...

7-1 sure was fun to watch! Almost (almost) made up for sitting in that swamp heat all afternoon.

Loons win 3-1 over a streaking San Jose team. At the moment sitting fourth in the west. Two or three good adds in the window and some injury luck and this team can make noise.

Also continue to be amazed at the fan experience at Allianz. It's second to none for me in terms of live viewing experience.

Loons win 3-1 over a streaking San Jose team. At the moment sitting fourth in the west. Two or three good adds in the window and some injury luck and this team can make noise.

Also continue to be amazed at the fan experience at Allianz. It's second to none for me in terms of live viewing experience.

Crowd was on point last night! San Jose was THE "hot" team in the league going into that game and it was a huge game for the standings moving us all the way up to 4th. But spots 4-8 are insanely close, we will need a lot more wins to hold a play off spot. I don't have high hopes for saturday with the short week and a road game. And next wednesday in the open cup will be tough with all the games lately but I'm excited for that game. I do hope they add 1-2 people to solidify their play off push. I think we can beat anybody at home right now.

Loons win!!! Up to fourth in the west, and even bigger to get a road win with essentially a B squad against a reasonable opponent in Montreal.

Toye now has 3 goals in the last two games - he needs to stay with the big club and could challenge Rodriguez for a spot in the starting 11 going forward.

Nine point week! This team looks for real! Incredible!

Loons win!!! Up to fourth in the west, and even bigger to get a road win with essentially a B squad against a reasonable opponent in Montreal.

Toye now has 3 goals in the last two games - he needs to stay with the big club and could challenge Rodriguez for a spot in the starting 11 going forward.

With Toye coming on and Molino coming back, there is a lot of attacking depth. Lots of options for Heath

That sure was a fun game. When I saw the line up I assumed we were mailing it in. We have some solid depth now and that was a really impressive road win.

Toye's first touches were phenomenal on his goals.

I'm excited for wednesday!

Excited for Wednesday.

Kind of hope Portland takes out LAFC.

Top Bottom