2019 MN United In-Season thread

unfortunately I don't want to play either team right now...

Good thing is the schedule remains pretty do-able for the next several weeks. The games against Dallas are going to be huge, and the team needs to continue to have Allianz be a fortress. But if they can grab 2-3 points from the three away games (seems possible) and 10+ from the five home games (again, seems possible given the recent home form and the competition) they'll go into September needing to average something like a point per game to for sure make the playoffs.

The USOC throws a wrench into it but luckily the team has proven they have decent depth to handle the volume of games going on.

Upcoming schedule (rank in supporter's shield standings in parentheses - MN is currently 6)

7/10 vs NM (USOC)
7/13 vs Dallas (9)
7/20 @ RSL (14)
7/27 vs Vancouver (21)
8/4 vs Portland (15)
8/7 Potential USOC Semifinal
8/10 @ Dallas (9)
8/14 vs Colorado (22)
8/17 vs Orlando (18)
8/22 @ SKC (20)

Thanks for breaking that down, I was scared to look ahead.

Upcoming schedule (rank in supporter's shield standings in parentheses - MN is currently 6)

7/10 vs NM (USOC)
7/13 vs Dallas (9)
7/20 @ RSL (14)
7/27 vs Vancouver (21)
8/4 vs Portland (15)
8/7 Potential USOC Semifinal
8/10 @ Dallas (9)
8/14 vs Colorado (22)
8/17 vs Orlando (18)
8/22 @ SKC (20)

I was doing some math.

Need 5 wins and 5 ties out of the last 15 games IMO for playoffs.

I was doing some math.

Need 5 wins and 5 ties out of the last 15 games IMO for playoffs.

Even with how close the standings are? Pretty bunched up at this point, it might make a huge difference who our wins vs ties vs losses are against.

Even with how close the standings are? Pretty bunched up at this point, it might make a huge difference who our wins vs ties vs losses are against.

Maybe. Certainly who those wins and losses are against will matter for final positioning and home-field advantage in the first round. But with the expansion of the playoffs this year to the top seven teams in conference, 50 points is a really safe bet to make it. From 2014-2018, no teams that reached the 50 point mark failed to make the playoffs, and that's with five or six teams from each conference (of 10-12 teams) making it.

Rumored signing of Robin Lod. Left-footed mid.

Probably bringing in Lod to start in Ibarra's place on the left side. Seems like a decent signing, he's youngish and has some decent experience in Spain and Greece.

Loons rolled with the A squad against New Mexico tonight in the US Open Cup and it's showing. 4-1 MNUFC in the first half. They'll probably throttle back and make sure no one gets hurt from here on out.

MNUFC take on Portland at Allianz twice in 4 days.

MLS game on August 4th

USOC game on August 7th

FiftyFiveOne's tweet says it all

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

MNUFC take on Portland at Allianz twice in 4 days.

MLS game on August 4th

USOC game on August 7th

FiftyFiveOne's tweet says it all

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Awesome!

Also, if the Loons win and Orlando beats Atlanta, the USOC final would be at Allianz.

I like our chances at home against anyone right now. Portland will be tough for sure though.

Fun game against New Mexico. Their fans were awesome. Hung out with them at Black Hart before the game they honestly gave Minnesotans a run for "MN nice"! And when they scored the first goal they went nuts! Then we just pounded them into the ground LOL.

Wild finish! I was thinking OK, at least we'll be able to pick up a point in this one if things hold, and then BOOM. Great goal, and what a save to end it!

What an awesome ending! Most dramatic finish by far at the new stadium and I think that will hold for some time (at least I hope so for my hearts sake...)! That save was phenomenal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scrappy win, both teams were sloppy. I think the mid week game took a lot out of our starters as they seemed off most the game. One of the worst games Darwin has ever played. Toye comes in and picks up the pieces, he's really playing well! That was a really important win for play off standings!

The best part of that save video (besides the save of course) is that stadium was so loud no one could hear the whistle. After we were all done screaming and high fiving eachother we were all trying to figure out what was going on, on one end of the field there were 6 guys umping on our goalie celebrating on the other end Ibarra was on an epic break away 1v1 with the goalie then the ref called it back we had no idea what was going on.

Lod officially signed. I imagine he'll take a few weeks to get paperwork complete and acclimated to the team - maybe see his on-field debut against Portland in early August?

Boy....the Loons have been playing amazing. What a game against Dallas this weekend!

Lod officially signed. I imagine he'll take a few weeks to get paperwork complete and acclimated to the team - maybe see his on-field debut against Portland in early August?

We will need the depth! I'm still hoping for some thing better though. Really show they are serious about the play off push.

The best part of that save video (besides the save of course) is that stadium was so loud no one could hear the whistle. After we were all done screaming and high fiving eachother we were all trying to figure out what was going on, on one end of the field there were 6 guys umping on our goalie celebrating on the other end Ibarra was on an epic break away 1v1 with the goalie then the ref called it back we had no idea what was going on.

That was nuts watching it on TV. Can't imagine what it was like at the stadium.

That was nuts watching it on TV. Can't imagine what it was like at the stadium.

Loudest I had heard the stadium so far. The high of getting the go ahead goal in the 91st minute combined with the low of the PK being called back to the high of blocking the PK was insane. It almost seemed the like the crowd knew he was going to block it. When the ref was taking his sweet time arguing with players about toes being on the line of the box and vito was jumping up and down in the goal the stadium was already going nuts, when he blocked it the atmosphere went to a new level! As fun as it was I don't think I should have that kind of stress in my life, can't be good for my heart.

Loons win over Portland. Up to 2nd place in the West!! Might be third by the end of the day but hey, I'll take what I can get!

Loons win over Portland. Up to 2nd place in the West!! Might be third by the end of the day but hey, I'll take what I can get!

Let's have a Timber Sweep on Wednesday!!!!!! Then let's beat whoever in the final.

Winning the US Open means a home game in February. Looking forward to that:clap:

Atlanta beat Orlando last night (what else is new?) so the final will be played in Atlanta on August 27.

Let's win tonight and book a date in the ATL, eh?

Party in Atlanta! Just found myself a $100 plane ticket.

How's This Work?

How do these player transfers work in soccer. We just paid $2.8M (or something around that amount) for Thomás Chacón to join us, where we "own" 70% of his rights. Who gets that $2.8M, the player or his old team? I'm guessing it goes to his team, so what does the player get? And what say does the player have in making the decision as to where they're "sold"? Do team's really own a player, so they can't leave to join another league unless someone "buys them"?

How do these player transfers work in soccer. We just paid $2.8M (or something around that amount) for Thomás Chacón to join us, where we "own" 70% of his rights. Who gets that $2.8M, the player or his old team? I'm guessing it goes to his team, so what does the player get? And what say does the player have in making the decision as to where they're "sold"? Do team's really own a player, so they can't leave to join another league unless someone "buys them"?

Kind of. It’s a little more nuanced then that.

All players have a contract. When that contract runs out, any team is free to sign him on a “free” transfer. Meaning all they have to do is negotiate salary terms, length of contract, etc.

If a player is under contract, and a new team wants that player they have a couple options:

1) If we’re talking strictly MLS, teams can trade within the league much like other leagues in the US. You don’t typically see outright transfers within MLS, it’s usually in the form of a trade. Usually involving allocation money (don’t ask - just think of it as monopoly money the league gives you). The contract is transferred to the new team, and there is no requirement to negotiate new contract terms.

2) If a player is under contract with a team and another team wants him and/or his current team wants to sell him. The 2 sides can negotiate a fee to “sell” his rights to another team.

Once that fee is agreed, the player and new team have to work out new contract terms. A new salary is negotiated, length of contract, and whatever else goes into a contract.

If no new contract is negotiated, the transfer doesn’t happen. This is pretty rare. Usually there is a mutual agreement that a player is ok with a move before the 2 sides waste time negotiating a transfer fee.

3) Lastly, a club can loan out a player temporarily. Sometimes the new club pays a fee to get a player on loan. Sometimes the new club can get a player on a free loan. This is a common thing for teams to do with their younger players to get them more playing time in a less talented league. Usually loan terms are for 6 months to a year. Sometimes there are terms in the loan agreement that the new club could buy out the player when the loan expires. That fee is usually in the loan contract. Kind of like the residual value of a leased car.

Whether or not a player can be loaned out is based on the terms of his existing contract with a team. Young players usually have no say, and older better players usually have input. But again, usually the team and player are on the same page.

In the case of Thomas Chacon, Minnesota United paid his current team ~2 million dollars for 70% of his rights. Thomas’s old team gets that money as a reward for developing him into a pro, and keeps 30% of his rights. Minnesota then negotiates a contract to pay him his salary and determine how long his contract will be for. Now when Minnesota hopefully sells him to Europe in 2-4 years, Thomas’s old team will get 30% of whatever that transfer fee is. I’d say Minnesota gets the other 70% but that’s not true because MLS will take a cut but that’s another story.

Last edited:

Can you repeat the part of the stuff where you said all about the....thing?

Top Bottom