2019 MN United In-Season thread

bottlebass

Main Member
Reaction score
Season officially starts tomorrow on the road at Vancouver. Game is at 5pm. Our defense has been our weak point the last 2 years and in the off season they made major moves to improve the defense. They went out and paid for a defender of the year, got a DP who is a defensive midfielder, got a new RB and got a goalie from the premier league. I think I'm missing one other piece to the defense.. Anyway I'm excited to see what Darwin can do in a full season! AND I'M SUPER EXCITED FOR THE NEW STADIUM!

Go Loons!

LOONS WIN! Metanire was a damn boss tonight. First road win against a Western conference opponent...ever.

Feels damn good. COYL!

Another road win! Loons now 2-0 on the year with a solid win over a bad San Jose team. Real test at LA next weekend!

Don't look now but the Loons are tied for 1st in the west in points and have the 2nd best goal differential in the whole league and they have played 2 road games! We only won 1 road game all of last year and now we have 2 to start the season, that is amazing!

The additions to the defense and midfield have been mind bogglingly good. I still hate Schuller, I hope Finlay or Molino can take over that spot soon. And I think I've seen enough of the "other" ibarra up front. If Rodriguez can't play that spot they need to go out and find a true forward and this team would be unstoppable.

Road Points:

2018 - 5 in 17 games
2019 - 6 in 2 games

Love it. And frankly I think they might have a decent chance at 1 or 3 more before the home opener in mid-April with a trip to New England - who look not awesome so far - and a potentially Zlatan-less LA Galaxy this weekend. If they roll into the NYCFC game with nine points out of five road games, they have to be looking at seriously contending for a playoff spot. They really rack up the home games between April and August, with 14 home games out of 21 matches so headway can be made before the stretch run in September.

They got straight owned by the galaxy. Hopefully they can squeeze out another win or at least some draws to get some more points on this road stretch. Like 07 said, we have A LOT of home games coming up.

Anybody going on Sunday to check out the new stadium? I think we might stop by.

Season ticket holders got to get into the stadium sunday to check out their seats. I think the team was using it as a soft opening to test things out. The turn out was fantastic as the place was packed! Looks like the food and beer options are going to be good and our seats were phenomenal, especially after watching soccer in a football stadium the last 2 years. We can see corner to corner and I feel like we are legit right on top of the field. I'm pumped for the first game!

If you would have told me the Loons would come home with 9 points after starting the season on the road for 5 straight games I would have never believed you. And they got their last win without Darwin or Ibarra!

This saturday is going to be awesome!

Can't wait. Even if it's going to be 40 degrees with six inches of snow on the ground, it's going to feel so good to have the Loons in their new, packed, loud stadium.

Can't wait. Even if it's going to be 40 degrees with six inches of snow on the ground, it's going to feel so good to have the Loons in their new, packed, loud stadium.

I almost wish the snow storm would come 2 days later so we have a blizzard game..

Hell of a time at the opening game yesterday.

The good:

The stadium is gorgeous. The sight lines are incredible. The sound is exceptional. Watching a game there is a real treat. Public transit was surprisingly efficient getting in and out. The food and beer was delicious.

The not-so-good:

The bathroom situation was rough to say the least. The concourses need to be about five feet wider to accommodate traffic better. Pinch points at the corners made for a crush of people trying to get in and out. The food and beer was obnoxiously overpriced. $14 for a BBQ sandwich and $13 for a tap Surly? Come on. Guess I'll be hitting up Venn in South Minneapolis or Tiffany's in Highland Park pregame from now on and just drink water at the stadium.

I can't wait to get back, and especially for the first home win.

Gopher agree with a lot of what you said. Stadium was amazing. Sight lines phenomenal.

Food and beer was what I expected based on what it costs at other stadiums and I was really happy with the selection of both. Will take a lot of games to decide on favorite food items as there are so many to choose from. I liked the airport style "convenience stores" as options to grab drinks/snacks too.

Getting into the stadium was quick and easy, but we did get there pretty early.

Seriously just once can they build a stadium with enough bathrooms and wide enough concourse? The guys line was out the door for 45 minutes straight. I tried to go before half and 15 mins into the 2nd half and both times the line was so long. I just waited and missed some of the game in the 2nd half which sucks. When you finaly got in there was like 15 urinals WTF??????????? I"ll have to cut down on the beer drinking which is just their loss but I'm not going to continually miss parts of the game due to their poor planning.

Why was our defense so bad this game after starting the season so well.

I used the restroom facilities 3 or 4 times yesterday and I never waited to use the urinal for more than 2 or 3 minutes each time. As always the key is to go when most other people are watching the game. The low amount of scoring in soccer makes the sport ideally suited for this activity. The concourses were very crowded in front of the Brew Hall and at the four corners but everywhere else I thought they were manageable. And the concourses are far better than at the Vikings stadium. I love everything about Allianz stadium including my seats and the fact it is possible to get to and from the stadium from all four directions of the compass. You can easily get there by walking, biking, driving, city bus, shuttle bus, train, or any combination of them. The critics complaining about the lack of parking were dead wrong. It is a non-issue.

Last edited:

If you went to the bathroom 4 times in 2 hours you may want to go see a doctor.

If you went to the bathroom 4 times in 2 hours you may want to go see a doctor.

Your time is coming. It happens to all of us. However, in my defense, I was there for 4 hours and I wasn't eating much.

That was a frustrating game last night. Survived their onslaught in the first half, came out in the 2nd half and just dominated for most of it, taking the lead then had 2 moments of pure stupidity from our defense. How Boxall lets that ball bounce is beyond me, you are behind the keeper and at the goal, clear the d@mn ball, don't try to control it!

Then it was such a weird ending to the game with the red cards...

That was a frustrating game last night. Survived their onslaught in the first half, came out in the 2nd half and just dominated for most of it, taking the lead then had 2 moments of pure stupidity from our defense. How Boxall lets that ball bounce is beyond me, you are behind the keeper and at the goal, clear the d@mn ball, don't try to control it!

Then it was such a weird ending to the game with the red cards...
Yeah the backline is God awful, but to be fair tactics aren't doing them any favors

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Yeah the backline is God awful, but to be fair tactics aren't doing them any favors

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

They started the season good. I can't figure out if teams have adjusted and we just need to adjust or what the deal is but we need to figure something out. We can score a lot of goals but we still won't win a lot of games if we are giving up 4 every game. Need to hold them to 1-2 and we will win a lot of games.

Tonight should be a decent barometer of progress. Sounds like the team is fired up right now, and back at home, it's time to show they can carry it over to the pitch. LAG is as hot as anyone in the league, but it's damn time we get some results at home against good teams. Crossing my fingers Opara is back in the starting 11 as that will help a lot.

Honest question as I do not know the MLS rules surrounding red cards but do our 2 red card players get to play in this match? If they don't I'm a little afraid our defense will be even that much more over matched.

With that said there is major home field advantage in the MLS (which I don't understand) so hopefully we can get a good result tonight. The weather is going to be amazingly perfect which will make this evening fun no matter the result.

Then the defense comes out and does that, and Quintero misses a bunny that should've given us a 1-0 victory. Who even knows with this team.

A few things:

Opara is so, so important to our success defensively. He needs to stay healthy if we're going to have a chance.

Happy to have Molino back, but he was definitely rusty yesterday. Some bad turnovers and touches.

Gotta notch a home victory here soon. Ties against good teams are OK but we need three points from home games if we want to seriously compete for a playoff spot. Sunday against Rooney and DCU?

I couldn't believe our defense played like that last night, Ike is the man.

We should have easily had 2 goals, darwin had an easy one and danladi screwed up an easy couple chances too.

Molino is rusty, finlay doesn't look like he'll get his speed back.

Our home victory needed to be the first one... I'm just hoping we win one before we lose one. Sunday might be a tough test for our defense again...

Weather looks cooler but I'll be there. Go loons.

Oh and the handsome hog pulled pork sandwich was really good. And I love the snacks that are available in the convenience stores!

Oh and the handsome hog pulled pork sandwich was really good. And I love the snacks that are available in the convenience stores!

That sandwich is awesome. Not sure it's $14 awesome but the quality is high.

That sandwich is awesome. Not sure it's $14 awesome but the quality is high.

Nothing at a stadium is ever worth the price. You know that going in and just have to accept it. REally with the soccer games only being just less than 2 hours it's easy to get out of there cheap and lots of times we buy just 1 beer each or something because we'll stop for food/drinks before or after the games. With the new stadium we are still exploring the food options and I just know it will cost me more.

Did you stay dry in your seats? We did and it was awesome.

Nothing at a stadium is ever worth the price. You know that going in and just have to accept it. REally with the soccer games only being just less than 2 hours it's easy to get out of there cheap and lots of times we buy just 1 beer each or something because we'll stop for food/drinks before or after the games. With the new stadium we are still exploring the food options and I just know it will cost me more.

Did you stay dry in your seats? We did and it was awesome.

I wasn't there last night (split season tickets) but I can't imagine I would've been. My seats are in section 4 by the Brew Hall.

Yeah you would have gotten rained on much of the 2nd half and it rained hard for about 10 minutes.

What do you think about the brew hall? With 96 taps I was thinking they would have a better beer selection than what you can get everywhere else in the stadium...

Like most Americans I only pay attention to futbol every four years and only if the US is in the WC. A friend invited me to the game last night and I went not knowing what to expect. I was super impressed by the whole experience. The stadium is beautiful and easy to move around in. The fans are enthused and I loved all of the singing and organized cheers. MNUFC was clearly not as skilled as the Galaxy but their defense was strong enough to get the tie. If their forwards had been more skilled they would have scored once or twice. I don't know anything about the economics of the team or the league but if the new TV contract is decent, I would guess the league will have a chance to buy better players from Europe and the sport will continue to grow. As a novice, I had a great time and will definitely go back.

Like most Americans I only pay attention to futbol every four years and only if the US is in the WC. A friend invited me to the game last night and I went not knowing what to expect. I was super impressed by the whole experience. The stadium is beautiful and easy to move around in. The fans are enthused and I loved all of the singing and organized cheers. MNUFC was clearly not as skilled as the Galaxy but their defense was strong enough to get the tie. If their forwards had been more skilled they would have scored once or twice. I don't know anything about the economics of the team or the league but if the new TV contract is decent, I would guess the league will have a chance to buy better players from Europe and the sport will continue to grow. As a novice, I had a great time and will definitely go back.

Great to hear you had a great time! Soccer has quickly become my favorite live sporting even to attend. BTW the USMNT is playing a gold cup game here in June, you should check it out if you like watching the national team play!

Top Bottom