Bubble Watch Teams - NET / RPI

The beauty of evaluating a coach based on overall record, conference record, and postseason record is it treats qualifiers the same in both directions. Coaches get full credit for their successes, and full blame for their failures. His record to date is not good.

Just asking for consistency.

Splitting hairs no matter the metric. Never even sniffing the top of the conference in 6 years. His defenders think he is a top 40 coach but also think that a 8.6 average in a conference with with 3 horrible programs is pretty good and that no one can come in and do better. I actually still stand by this years team to the end and that includes a win or two in the NCAA which of course will bring huge praise of what a great coach he is. The question remains, can he bring a conference title for season long excellence ?

Your point that there are horrible teams in the Big 10 is what? I would say every conference has horrible programs EVERY YEAR.

While it would be nice to win a conference championship, I would take top 4 finishes year in and year out while advancing deep in the ncaa.

Haarms made the biggest difference for Purdue in the first game. Hopefully, they can be more physical with him (without fouling, of course) to negate some of his height in this game. When I watch the Gophers' games, it seems like opposing big men consistently post-up much closer to the basket than do the Gopher bigs. That would be a recipe for disaster against Haarms and Williams. I have no expectations for this game, but I am looking forward to watching it!

Every coach deals with injuries, but not to the same degree. Ignoring details like that is just lazy and stubborn. I'm hoping we make a change at the end of the season as long as we can find a good replacement, but I think Pitino's record here is misleading due to some things out of his control. He's far from perfect and I think we can do better, but he is better than his record indicates.

Is their evidence or statistics that Pitino has experienced more things out of his control than the average coach? Or are those details that aren't lazy or stubborn to ignore?

Is their evidence or statistics that Pitino has experienced more things out of his control than the average coach? Or are those details that aren't lazy or stubborn to ignore?

I'm talking particularly about last season. If you don't think we had more bad luck with injuries than the vast majority of teams last season, then you aren't being honest with yourself. I'm not saying he's a great coach, just that his record without any context will make it look like he's worse than he is. I still think we should be looking for a new coach though.

I'm talking particularly about last season. If you don't think we had more bad luck with injuries than the vast majority of teams last season, then you aren't being honest with yourself. I'm not saying he's a great coach, just that his record without any context will make it look like he's worse than he is. I still think we should be looking for a new coach though.

My favorite team got worse breaks than almost all the other teams.

I guess I am looking for something more scientific. The above rationale can read on virtually every fan forum. And they ALL feel they are being honest with themselves.

Top Bottom