Bubble Watch Teams - NET / RPI

If we get into coin flip territory, I hope someone reminds the committee we were robbed of a tier one road win at Nebraska.

Wouldn’t it be gophery if that call cost us a tourney bid and cost Pitino his job.

That game is not going to cost him his job. Coyle is smarter than that. If he gets fired it will for having perhaps the worst record in school history, off the court issues and the ability to actually hire a far better coach.

That game is not going to cost him his job. Coyle is smarter than that. If he gets fired it will for having perhaps the worst record in school history, off the court issues and the ability to actually hire a far better coach.

If you are referring to player discipline issues and they use that as a reason, it should have been done far sooner than now. If you are referring to internal administration of the program that most of us are not privy to, you have a point. My guess is that it comes down to Coyle's confidence not just in Pitino but in the new staff he has assembled. The jury is out on that, although so far, the recruiting has been miserable. People who know the details of the game better than I do say the current staff has been better at game planning, etc. than the previous staff. Recruiting can change on a dime, but if we don't get another immediate contributor in the spring, it could set the program back by a couple of years.

I haven't done the numbers on how bad is overall record is (we know his Big Ten record is bad) but he does have one of the very worst seasons in program history. His 8 win season was actually a lower winning percentage (.258) than the infamous Monson-Molinari split year (.290). To find something worse, you have to go all the way back to the twenties when these two gentlemen coached:

1926-27: Harold Taylor, 3-13; .188

Harold departed the job after that year and was followed by Dave McMillan who had two awful initial seasons of his own:

1927-28: 4-12 (.250)
1928-29: 4-13 (.235)

Dave improved after that and actually coached the team all the way through America's entry into WWII.

Many on here seem to be okay with Pitino coming back if they make tourney. If we had won the game in Nebraska we would almost certainly be a lock for the tourney, regardless of how we do in the final two games. For those of you in that camp you're saying Pitino's career comes down to one call and if it would have went in our favor you'd be fine with him staying. That's ridiculous. He's a good coach regardless of one call. He should stay.

Many on here seem to be okay with Pitino coming back if they make tourney. If we had won the game in Nebraska we would almost certainly be a lock for the tourney, regardless of how we do in the final two games. For those of you in that camp you're saying Pitino's career comes down to one call and if it would have went in our favor you'd be fine with him staying. That's ridiculous. He's a good coach regardless of one call. He should stay.

Your entitled to your opinion. Just curious, what proof do you have that he is a good coach? Or is it a feeling ?

There are many that say they would be satisfied with him staying if he made the tourney. One call could be the difference between making it and not.

Your entitled to your opinion. Just curious, what proof do you have that he is a good coach? Or is it a feeling ?

This is a question that I've asked myself. Yes he is young somewhat, did well in Florida, has good coaching genes, likable, and brutally honest.
I would really like to see this guy make it, I really do. Perhaps his teams will make leaps and bounds soon, I don't know. However we just don't seem to be getting over the hump it seems like. Not sure what its going to take for him to do that.

god you are patronizing. someone says they believe Pitino is a good coach and you immediately assume that opinion is based on "feelings." Pitino won the Big 10 Coach of the year. how many bad coaches have won that award?

I can see us beating Purdue. Who are we kidding thinking we can win at Maryland? Just shy of a miracle.

god you are patronizing. someone says they believe Pitino is a good coach and you immediately assume that opinion is based on "feelings." Pitino won the Big 10 Coach of the year. how many bad coaches have won that award?

The reason he won Big Ten coach of the year was because the team won 8 games the year before. Yes, it was a great turnaround (can't take that away from him) but if you average those two seasons, the team is still slightly below .500. In any event, that season stands out as the lone moment of impressive success in his tenure. I've mentioned this before but one season doesn't prove anything. Norman Greenbaum wasn't a great song writer because of one hit that is still played today. That just shows he had one great song in him.

Several who were fired. He won on the rebound of a historically bad season he created. 39-69 speaks volumes. The question was for a single person. So know we know, you can have one ok season 20% of the time and as long as you have one Big 10 coach of the year award, not national coach of the year mind you and that means he is a good coach.

The reason he won Big Ten coach of the year was because the team won 8 games the year before. Yes, it was a great turnaround (can't take that away from him) but if you average those two seasons, the team is still slightly below .500. In any event, that season stands out as the lone moment of impressive success in his tenure. I've mentioned this before but one season doesn't prove anything. Norman Greenbaum wasn't a great song writer because of one hit that is still played today. That just shows he had one great song in him.

I used to be one of RPs biggest advocates. However, after 6 years, 1 NCAA bid, 0 NCAA wins, off court issues, and poor recruiting for 2019-20....its time.

Just because hes a nice guy doesnt mean he is doing the job. Heck, he may be a very good coach yet it comes down to getting the job done. He is just not getting it done here.

The biggest concern is the disconnect between MN HS players and coaches and the MN staff. I'm not saying we need to start paying players ( I wouldn't say no as most other schools appear to be paying kids) however most of the instate talent for 2019, 20, and likely 21 wont be attending MN if RP is here.

I used to be one of RPs biggest advocates. However, after 6 years, 1 NCAA bid, 0 NCAA wins, off court issues, and poor recruiting for 2019-20....its time.

Just because hes a nice guy doesnt mean he is doing the job. Heck, he may be a very good coach yet it comes down to getting the job done. He is just not getting it done here.

The biggest concern is the disconnect between MN HS players and coaches and the MN staff. I'm not saying we need to start paying players ( I wouldn't say no as most other schools appear to be paying kids) however most of the instate talent for 2019, 20, and likely 21 wont be attending MN if RP is here.

So let me get this straight. Cheating to get higher rated players is OK with you. Maybe it would be best to just start out with hiring tutors to do classwork for the players in an effort to free up some time to practice making 3 pointers at a higher percentage. Just a thought. I don't know if that has been tried before.

So let me get this straight. Cheating to get higher rated players is OK with you. Maybe it would be best to just start out with hiring tutors to do classwork for the players in an effort to free up some time to practice making 3 pointers at a higher percentage. Just a thought. I don't know if that has been tried before.

Sarcasm, my friend! Lol.

But in all honesty, we are not recruiting good enough/ the right players. We are putting together teams that derail with an injury, suspension, or not having a PG available on the roster.

As I said, I like RP. Hes funny, self-deprecating, honest w fans. However, hes not getting it done on the court or on the recruiting trail.

Sarcasm, my friend! Lol.

But in all honesty, we are not recruiting good enough/ the right players. We are putting together teams that derail with an injury, suspension, or not having a PG available on the roster.

As I said, I like RP. Hes funny, self-deprecating, honest w fans. However, hes not getting it done on the court or on the recruiting trail.

Fair enough. I think that quality recruiting is not the problem,rather its the focus of the recruiting. RP I think can recruit. What is he recruiting to should be the question? What kind of team does he want? Just recruiting 4 star athletic players is not enough. You just can't force a square peg in a round hole. You can overcome recruiting some misfits in your system if you are patient with their development. If you aren't willing to take a few lumps early. You will never get over the hump and get the consistent result all good programs have.

Fair enough. I think that quality recruiting is not the problem,rather its the focus of the recruiting. RP I think can recruit. What is he recruiting to should be the question? What kind of team does he want? Just recruiting 4 star athletic players is not enough. You just can't force a square peg in a round hole. You can overcome recruiting some misfits in your system if you are patient with their development. If you aren't willing to take a few lumps early. You will never get over the hump and get the consistent result all good programs have.

Those recruits also have to live up to their potential. Coffey has always been in the plans to be Pitino’s go to guy. He has the talent and has finally listened to his dad and Pitino to be aggressive in a few games this year. IW has tremendous talent, but he still has to translate it into the college game. Pitino has reached a little too much in the past, but he has developed some really nice players. We are still not quite deep enough to overcome injuries or late developing players.

One of the truly sad things about this state is that the fans, the press and thus the players all acknowledge “going out of state” as being successful! Hopefully we turn that around to playing for the U is the goal for success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bama beating LSU 2nd half, that would be bad for us

Those recruits also have to live up to their potential. Coffey has always been in the plans to be Pitino’s go to guy. He has the talent and has finally listened to his dad and Pitino to be aggressive in a few games this year. IW has tremendous talent, but he still has to translate it into the college game. Pitino has reached a little too much in the past, but he has developed some really nice players. We are still not quite deep enough to overcome injuries or late developing players.

One of the truly sad things about this state is that the fans, the press and thus the players all acknowledge “going out of state” as being successful! Hopefully we turn that around to playing for the U is the goal for success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What you hope for is not true in any state as far as keeping players home. Most players pick the best offer they can get from the best coach recruiting them. These kids are smart and informed about what they like, they have traveled all over. Win with players from wherever you get them and then you get even better players.

Previous winners of that award include Ed DeChellis, Bill Carmody, Bruce Weber, Tom Crean, and Tim Miles. BFD.

I have until late this season been a Richard guy.
The only thing I can like about him his recruiting has been solid.

How many games have we lost up 5 plus with with under 2 to go. This guy has no clue how to draw up plays at the ends of games. Always tries to run out the clock not scoring.

How many games have we won losing by a point by a point with 1+ and a half to go?

I have never seen a rostered more miss managed than this years team.

I thought he would be better with new staff hires but nope. I am ready to move on. Sorry I know we will take another step back with a firing and miss on Minnesota kids because of it.

How many games have we lost up 5 plus with with under 2 to go. This guy has no clue how to draw up plays at the ends of games. Always tries to run out the clock not scoring.

How many games have we won losing by a point by a point with 1+ and a half to go?

I thought he would be better with new staff hires but nope. I am ready to move on. Sorry I know we will take another step back with a firing and miss on Minnesota kids because of it.

Would be very surprised if we move on. What State kids will be missing on if we do move on ? In other words who has Richard locked up ?

For someone who claims to know so much inside information about basketball, why do you make such ridiculous statements? Pitino has the 8th best out of 18 coaches for the U.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You guys are so superficial in your understanding of the details. Pitino had to deal with the suspension of several players and injuries that in ‘15-‘16 season. He actually did a good job of coaching up the freshman and a walk-on starting guard to be competitive at the end of the season. You also discounted the development of Mason, Murphy, Lynch and the recruitment of Springs in the ‘16-‘17 season. None of them came out of high school as immediate B1G players. Many of you don’t want to acknowledge it, but his first year NIT championship was well coached.

You guys are so superficial in your understanding of the details. Pitino had to deal with the suspension of several players and injuries that in ‘15-‘16 season. He actually did a good job of coaching up the freshman and a walk-on starting guard to be competitive at the end of the season. You also discounted the development of Mason, Murphy, Lynch and the recruitment of Springs in the ‘16-‘17 season. None of them came out of high school as immediate B1G players. Many of you don’t want to acknowledge it, but his first year NIT championship was well coached.

Details, every coach has injuries and as for suspensions , he created those by who he recruited. If you want to celebrate NIT championship, no problem i do not. As far as record, i was counting Big 10 RECORD. It is historically bad, road record, record against ranked teams-you name it. The non conference is another matter but he has constructed incredibly weak non conference schedules. You can choose how you want to look at his record however you want to and i am not insulting you for it. Each person can decide for themselves, not trying to convince anyone how they want to go about it. Only sharing my opinion of how i have seen things built elsewhere, no excuses. Further, the record speaks for itself to me !

Right or wrong...if we got a call at the end of a game(×3)...you would not be saying that. Just saying.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Details, every coach has injuries and as for suspensions , he created those by who he recruited. If you want to celebrate NIT championship, no problem i do not. As far as record, i was counting Big 10 RECORD. It is historically bad, road record, record against ranked teams-you name it. The non conference is another matter but he has constructed incredibly weak non conference schedules. You can choose how you want to look at his record however you want to and i am not insulting you for it. Each person can decide for themselves, not trying to convince anyone how they want to go about it. Only sharing my opinion of how i have seen things built elsewhere, no excuses. Further, the record speaks for itself to me !
I'm not so sure it does. But that's my opinion.

And BTW. It's not just about making the NCAA tournament to save his job. It's about where he is at and making the tournament.

For the record... I think he stays no matter what.

And BTW. It's not just about making the NCAA tournament to save his job. It's about where he is at and making the tournament.

For the record... I think he stays no matter what.

Same. Except in the case Coyle knows he can get a better coach, just like he did with football.

Top Bottom