Bubble Watch Teams - NET / RPI

Same. Except in the case Coyle knows he can get a better coach, just like he did with football.
I think your right... however there is only a very small group of coaches I would consider. The likelyhood of landing one ...well....not good.
And to reach on coach, for the sake of change ...well, that would be horrendous.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I think your right... however there is only a very small group of coaches I would consider. The likelyhood of landing one ...well....not good.
And to reach on coach, for the sake of change ...well, that would be horrendous.

He will not reach.

For the 83rd time, IT WOULDN'T BE FOR THE SAKE OF CHANGE. Pitino's record is absolutely horrible. Pick a different line to regurgitate, one that's actually true. We get it, you like Pitino, but firing him wouldn't be "for the sake of change."

For the 83rd time, IT WOULDN'T BE FOR THE SAKE OF CHANGE. Pitino's record is absolutely horrible. Pick a different line to regurgitate, one that's actually true. We get it, you like Pitino, but firing him wouldn't be "for the sake of change."
It certainly would be if Coyle hired a sub par coach...

And I'm pretty sure I can say it as many times as I see fit...... dont think your the web police. don't read it if you dont like it.

That's not what "change for the sake of change" is. And we already have a very subpar coach - there's not much risk of it getting worse. So we might be 13th or 14th in the conference over the next 6 years instead of 12th? Oh no, not that, anything but that!

And I'm pretty sure I can say it as many times as I see fit...... dont think your the web police. don't read it if you dont like it.

You can say whatever you want, it's a free country. Just know that you sound really, really stupid when you say made-up nonsense like that. I don't think you're stupid, so it would behoove you not to say stupid things. Just say that you like Pitino and don't make up stupid sh1t.

That's not what "change for the sake of change" is. And we already have a very subpar coach - there's not much risk of it getting worse. So we might be 13th or 14th in the conference over the next 6 years instead of 12th? Oh no, not that, anything but that!

You can say whatever you want, it's a free country. Just know that you sound really, really stupid when you say made-up nonsense like that. I don't think you're stupid, so it would behoove you not to say stupid things. Just say that you like Pitino and don't make up stupid sh1t.

12th? Pitino's average finish is around 8th/9th (actually 8.6). Why do you exaggerate?

Exactly right. It is a good decision if Coyle gets a much better coach. A horrid one if the next coach doesn't work out.

12th? Pitino's average finish is around 8th/9th (actually 8.6). Why do you exaggerate?

Add up the cumulative records over those 6 years - we have the 12th-best winning percentage in the conference over that time.

Add up the cumulative records over those 6 years - we have the 12th-best winning percentage in the conference over that time.

Leave it to you to find the most negative possible metric. He finishes around 8th on the average, so if we hired another coach that finished 13th - yeah that would be real bad.

I agree if you reach you risk ending up with a bottom half of the Big10 program that wins about 1/3 of it's Big10 games and doesn't go to the NCAA tournament. I just don't think we can take that risk.

Agreed. There really isn't a need to exaggerate. Pitino's record makes the case all by itself.

Splitting hairs no matter the metric. Never even sniffing the top of the conference in 6 years. His defenders think he is a top 40 coach but also think that a 8.6 average in a conference with with 3 horrible programs is pretty good and that no one can come in and do better. I actually still stand by this years team to the end and that includes a win or two in the NCAA which of course will bring huge praise of what a great coach he is. The question remains, can he bring a conference title for season long excellence ?

I have made up nothing...stating opinion is not stupid at all.

I understand you are against Pitino...but I do not call the things you say stupid.
Subpar is your opinion....not mine.

I will just be done talking to you about this matter.

DePaul takes down St. Johns at home behind a 40+ point day by senior guard Max Strus. Have to think St. Johns is starting to sweat a bit now.

I have made up nothing...stating opinion is not stupid at all.

I understand you are against Pitino...but I do not call the things you say stupid.
Subpar is your opinion....not mine.

I will just be done talking to you about this matter.

Saying it would be "change for the sake of change" isn't an opinion, it's factually wrong.

Likewise, saying he's been subpar isn't an opinion, it's a fact. By any measure, he's been below average - and that's being kind.

I'm not against Pitino, I'm for the University of Minnesota basketball program.

DePaul takes down St. Johns at home behind a 40+ point day by senior guard Max Strus. Have to think St. Johns is starting to sweat a bit now.

Two wins over Marquette should keep them pretty safe. It's as soft a bubble as I can remember. It could be parity or it could just be a general decline in quality basketball. Whatever it is, it is working in our favor this year.

Saying it would be "change for the sake of change" isn't an opinion, it's factually wrong.

Likewise, saying he's been subpar isn't an opinion, it's a fact. By any measure, he's been below average - and that's being kind.

Agree to disagree

There are people who think he has not been below average. They simply have a different standard for what below average is to them. Many coaches have been fired for doing better than what he has done.

Two wins over Marquette should keep them pretty safe. It's as soft a bubble as I can remember. It could be parity or it could just be a general decline in quality basketball. Whatever it is, it is working in our favor this year.

True....but they truly played nobody outside of their conference. If they end up losing to Xavier and finish 8-10 in conference....they'll be squarely on the bubble sweating it out like everyone else I'd think.

Leave it to you to find the most negative possible metric. He finishes around 8th on the average, so if we hired another coach that finished 13th - yeah that would be real bad.

Actually, your metric is more misleading than his. Pitino finished 4th one year; that is the only season at or above .500 in the conference. His first year was 7th place (in a 12 team league) and still under .500. The other three seasons his teams played on Wednesday of the Big Ten tournament which is, of course, reserved for the 4 worst teams. There are different ways to calculate averages. If you take the median (which makes sense for a small sample), his median number of Big Ten wins for his first five years is 6. The arithmetic average is nearly the same: 6.2. So, his average conference record after five years was 6-12.

As for this year, he will very likely fail to reach .500 in the league again but he will at least avoid Wednesday of the Big Ten tournament.

god you are patronizing. someone says they believe Pitino is a good coach and you immediately assume that opinion is based on "feelings." Pitino won the Big 10 Coach of the year. how many bad coaches have won that award?

You are correct, the large majority of big ten coy winners are established, successful coaches. However, voters must have somehow been misled the year that Pitino won. Our 2016-17 stellar defense and record were due to lynch, Pitino didnt contribute. Our loss to mtsu had nothing to do with our missing guards, it was Pitino's fault. Some will give Pitino grudging respect for that season, but only while also mentioning qualifiers similar to those given above. However, no qualifiers are allowed for seasons such as last sesson. Qualifiers are only allowed one direction. This debate has been had before and no one's mind will change.

Last edited:

You are correct, the large majority of big ten coy winners are established, successful coaches. However, voters must have somehow been misled the year that Pitino won. Our 2016-17 stellar defense and record were due to lynch, Pitino didnt contribute. Our loss to mtsu had nothing to do with our missing guards, it was Pitino's fault. Some will give Pitino grudging respect for that season, but only while also mentioning qualifiers similar to those given above. However, no qualifiers are allowed for seasons such as last sesson. Qualifiers are only allowed one direction. This debate has been had before and no one's mind will change.

Also, Coach of the Year is a bit of a misnomer. One could more accurately call it the award given to the coach whose team has the most notable performance for that particular year. Pitino got the award because of a remarkable one year turnaround: from one of the very worst records in program history to 4th in the conference in one year. Miles received the award one year earlier for similar reasons: a high conference finish after bottom dweller finishes in previous years.

I agree that Reggie was the kingpin of the 2017 team. I do think the loss of Springs was a significant factor in both end-of-season losses however. Springs was a strong, mature defender who could hit shots. They lost his personal contributions but also a three guard rotation when he went down. Neither Mason nor McBrayer had the physical ability to play the whole game against deeper teams.

Also, Coach of the Year is a bit of a misnomer. One could more accurately call it the award given to the coach whose team has the most notable performance for that particular year. Pitino got the award because of a remarkable one year turnaround: from one of the very worst records in program history to 4th in the conference in one year. Miles received the award one year earlier for similar reasons: a high conference finish after bottom dweller finishes in previous years.

I agree that Reggie was the kingpin of the 2017 team. I do think the loss of Springs was a significant factor in both end-of-season losses however. Springs was a strong, mature defender who could hit shots. They lost his personal contributions but also a three guard rotation when he went down. Neither Mason nor McBrayer had the physical ability to play the whole game against deeper teams.

Im not sure why the voters cant be given credit for observing a job well done, even if it involves a bottom dweller moving up. Doesnt seem to me that a move up the standings should be disqualifying.

The beauty of evaluating a coach based on overall record, conference record, and postseason record is it treats qualifiers the same in both directions. Coaches get full credit for their successes, and full blame for their failures. His record to date is not good.

Details, every coach has injuries and as for suspensions , he created those by who he recruited. If you want to celebrate NIT championship, no problem i do not. As far as record, i was counting Big 10 RECORD. It is historically bad, road record, record against ranked teams-you name it. The non conference is another matter but he has constructed incredibly weak non conference schedules. You can choose how you want to look at his record however you want to and i am not insulting you for it. Each person can decide for themselves, not trying to convince anyone how they want to go about it. Only sharing my opinion of how i have seen things built elsewhere, no excuses. Further, the record speaks for itself to me !

Every coach deals with injuries, but not to the same degree. Ignoring details like that is just lazy and stubborn. I'm hoping we make a change at the end of the season as long as we can find a good replacement, but I think Pitino's record here is misleading due to some things out of his control. He's far from perfect and I think we can do better, but he is better than his record indicates.

Top Bottom