Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 96
  1. #76

    Default

    DePaul takes down St. Johns at home behind a 40+ point day by senior guard Max Strus. Have to think St. Johns is starting to sweat a bit now.


  2. #77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gopherbbdude View Post
    I have made up nothing...stating opinion is not stupid at all.

    I understand you are against Pitino...but I do not call the things you say stupid.
    Subpar is your opinion....not mine.

    I will just be done talking to you about this matter.
    Saying it would be "change for the sake of change" isn't an opinion, it's factually wrong.

    Likewise, saying he's been subpar isn't an opinion, it's a fact. By any measure, he's been below average - and that's being kind.

    I'm not against Pitino, I'm for the University of Minnesota basketball program.

  3. #78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stocker08 View Post
    DePaul takes down St. Johns at home behind a 40+ point day by senior guard Max Strus. Have to think St. Johns is starting to sweat a bit now.
    Two wins over Marquette should keep them pretty safe. It's as soft a bubble as I can remember. It could be parity or it could just be a general decline in quality basketball. Whatever it is, it is working in our favor this year.

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,781
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    Saying it would be "change for the sake of change" isn't an opinion, it's factually wrong.

    Likewise, saying he's been subpar isn't an opinion, it's a fact. By any measure, he's been below average - and that's being kind.

    I'm not against Pitino, I'm for the University of Minnesota basketball program.
    Agree to disagree

    Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

  5. #80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gopherbbdude View Post
    Agree to disagree
    You can't disagree with facts. They are facts whether you choose to believe them or not.

  6. #81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    Saying it would be "change for the sake of change" isn't an opinion, it's factually wrong.

    Likewise, saying he's been subpar isn't an opinion, it's a fact. By any measure, he's been below average - and that's being kind.

    I'm not against Pitino, I'm for the University of Minnesota basketball program.
    There are people who think he has not been below average. They simply have a different standard for what below average is to them. Many coaches have been fired for doing better than what he has done.

  7. #82

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Man View Post
    Two wins over Marquette should keep them pretty safe. It's as soft a bubble as I can remember. It could be parity or it could just be a general decline in quality basketball. Whatever it is, it is working in our favor this year.
    True....but they truly played nobody outside of their conference. If they end up losing to Xavier and finish 8-10 in conference....they'll be squarely on the bubble sweating it out like everyone else I'd think.

  8. #83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bga1 View Post
    Leave it to you to find the most negative possible metric. He finishes around 8th on the average, so if we hired another coach that finished 13th - yeah that would be real bad.
    Actually, your metric is more misleading than his. Pitino finished 4th one year; that is the only season at or above .500 in the conference. His first year was 7th place (in a 12 team league) and still under .500. The other three seasons his teams played on Wednesday of the Big Ten tournament which is, of course, reserved for the 4 worst teams. There are different ways to calculate averages. If you take the median (which makes sense for a small sample), his median number of Big Ten wins for his first five years is 6. The arithmetic average is nearly the same: 6.2. So, his average conference record after five years was 6-12.

    As for this year, he will very likely fail to reach .500 in the league again but he will at least avoid Wednesday of the Big Ten tournament.

  9. #84

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakers612 View Post
    god you are patronizing. someone says they believe Pitino is a good coach and you immediately assume that opinion is based on "feelings." Pitino won the Big 10 Coach of the year. how many bad coaches have won that award?
    You are correct, the large majority of big ten coy winners are established, successful coaches. However, voters must have somehow been misled the year that Pitino won. Our 2016-17 stellar defense and record were due to lynch, Pitino didnt contribute. Our loss to mtsu had nothing to do with our missing guards, it was Pitino's fault. Some will give Pitino grudging respect for that season, but only while also mentioning qualifiers similar to those given above. However, no qualifiers are allowed for seasons such as last sesson. Qualifiers are only allowed one direction. This debate has been had before and no one's mind will change.
    Last edited by ltf; 03-04-2019 at 08:32 AM.

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,781
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dpodoll68 View Post
    You can't disagree with facts. They are facts whether you choose to believe them or not.
    done with this nonsense.

  11. #86

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gopherbbdude View Post
    done with this nonsense.
    It isn't nonsense, and you've already said that you're done multiple times in this thread - yet you still keep replying.

  12. #87

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ltf View Post
    You are correct, the large majority of big ten coy winners are established, successful coaches. However, voters must have somehow been misled the year that Pitino won. Our 2016-17 stellar defense and record were due to lynch, Pitino didnt contribute. Our loss to mtsu had nothing to do with our missing guards, it was Pitino's fault. Some will give Pitino grudging respect for that season, but only while also mentioning qualifiers similar to those given above. However, no qualifiers are allowed for seasons such as last sesson. Qualifiers are only allowed one direction. This debate has been had before and no one's mind will change.
    Also, Coach of the Year is a bit of a misnomer. One could more accurately call it the award given to the coach whose team has the most notable performance for that particular year. Pitino got the award because of a remarkable one year turnaround: from one of the very worst records in program history to 4th in the conference in one year. Miles received the award one year earlier for similar reasons: a high conference finish after bottom dweller finishes in previous years.

    I agree that Reggie was the kingpin of the 2017 team. I do think the loss of Springs was a significant factor in both end-of-season losses however. Springs was a strong, mature defender who could hit shots. They lost his personal contributions but also a three guard rotation when he went down. Neither Mason nor McBrayer had the physical ability to play the whole game against deeper teams.

  13. #88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cjbfbp View Post
    Also, Coach of the Year is a bit of a misnomer. One could more accurately call it the award given to the coach whose team has the most notable performance for that particular year. Pitino got the award because of a remarkable one year turnaround: from one of the very worst records in program history to 4th in the conference in one year. Miles received the award one year earlier for similar reasons: a high conference finish after bottom dweller finishes in previous years.

    I agree that Reggie was the kingpin of the 2017 team. I do think the loss of Springs was a significant factor in both end-of-season losses however. Springs was a strong, mature defender who could hit shots. They lost his personal contributions but also a three guard rotation when he went down. Neither Mason nor McBrayer had the physical ability to play the whole game against deeper teams.
    Im not sure why the voters cant be given credit for observing a job well done, even if it involves a bottom dweller moving up. Doesnt seem to me that a move up the standings should be disqualifying.

  14. #89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ltf View Post
    You are correct, the large majority of big ten coy winners are established, successful coaches. However, voters must have somehow been misled the year that Pitino won. Our 2016-17 stellar defense and record were due to lynch, Pitino didnt contribute. Our loss to mtsu had nothing to do with our missing guards, it was Pitino's fault. Some will give Pitino grudging respect for that season, but only while also mentioning qualifiers similar to those given above. However, no qualifiers are allowed for seasons such as last sesson. Qualifiers are only allowed one direction. This debate has been had before and no one's mind will change.
    The beauty of evaluating a coach based on overall record, conference record, and postseason record is it treats qualifiers the same in both directions. Coaches get full credit for their successes, and full blame for their failures. His record to date is not good.

  15. #90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by builtbadgers View Post
    Details, every coach has injuries and as for suspensions , he created those by who he recruited. If you want to celebrate NIT championship, no problem i do not. As far as record, i was counting Big 10 RECORD. It is historically bad, road record, record against ranked teams-you name it. The non conference is another matter but he has constructed incredibly weak non conference schedules. You can choose how you want to look at his record however you want to and i am not insulting you for it. Each person can decide for themselves, not trying to convince anyone how they want to go about it. Only sharing my opinion of how i have seen things built elsewhere, no excuses. Further, the record speaks for itself to me !
    Every coach deals with injuries, but not to the same degree. Ignoring details like that is just lazy and stubborn. I'm hoping we make a change at the end of the season as long as we can find a good replacement, but I think Pitino's record here is misleading due to some things out of his control. He's far from perfect and I think we can do better, but he is better than his record indicates.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •