Gophers receive a commitment from Illinois DL C.J. West

gophersfan

Reaction score
CJ West commited to Minnesota

Can't find any info on it and not sure if anyone posted it or not.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

We respect your decision as well CJ West! Welcome aboard!

Found info on a 2018 kid out of IL. Doesn't look like he was into playing football after hs. Very strange.

The Gophers have received a commitment from LaGrange Park, Ill. (Nazareth Academy High School) defensive lineman C.J. West. He held offers from Bowling Green, Eastern Illinois, Illinois State, Northern Illinois, Western Michigan and others. At 6-foot-2, 290 pounds, West could have some flexibility to move around various techniques along the defensive line. This type of versatility is important to have, especially when you’re trying to develop pass rushing depth/rotations. West committed to the Gophers after taking a visit to the school Thursday. He joins defensive lineman Aaron Witt and wide receiver Jonathan Mann as the third member of Minnesota's 2020 recruiting class.

I’ll have more on this addition in an upcoming recruiting article! Until then, here’s a look at his film:

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/7992145/5bac395ad45fcd144c002084' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Looks like he is in town today for an unofficial.

Staff must really think he’s a diamond in the rough if they’re willing to offer him so early in what is likely going to be a small class. Especially considering how heavy we hit D-tackle last cycle.

Only need to keep him locked up for 10 more months!

Only need to keep him locked up for 10 more months!

One of the benefits of these early commitments is that we get to see how loyal they are to PJ and the program. Do they truly want to be here? So far, a low percentage of his recruits are transfer candidates. Hope that continues.

I'll do the first positive post:

Welcome, CJ!!! Illinois is Gopher Country.

I'll do the first positive post:

Welcome, CJ!!! Illinois is Gopher Country.

RIGHT ON!!

I'm not sure why anyone is questioning this kid-6'2" and 300lbs (Junior) from a state championship team!

This is a great addition to our DL and further builds out the IL Pipeline.

This staff has shown they are pretty good at getting in on kids early (Bateman comes to mind).

This staff has shown they are pretty good at getting in on kids early (Bateman comes to mind).

Agreed, and having some additional advocates as these kids hit the camp circuit helps build excitement for the program and help recruit.

RIGHT ON!!

I'm not sure why anyone is questioning this kid-6'2" and 300lbs (Junior) from a state championship team!

This is a great addition to our DL and further builds out the IL Pipeline.

Frankly, I don't know how highwayman can tell if posts are positive or not since everyone is on his ignore list.

Schad last year as well. I believe he wasn’t ranked and had no offers last year when we offered. By the end of the recruiting cycle he was one of the top Juco DTs in the country and his offer list blew up.

Besides the hope that he will become an excellent player, I like the idea of recruiting at a school like Nazareth Academy which has a winning tradition.
I was also pleased that he is already talking about recruiting his teammates such as J.J. McCarthy. I was impressed with McCarthy's interview when he made an unofficial visit to Minnesota earlier.

Top Bottom