Those who said bowl games don't matter...

fmlizard

Reaction score
This has to be the most positive I've seen things around these parts since at least the Citrus Bowl offseason, and maybe more.

That last win against GT in the bowl game allowed all the good November vibes to carry over unsullied. For a period twice as long as the season things get to be all good! Don't think that isn't carrying over into recruiting too.

I'm excited, I'm glad we won. I kinda think GT just didn't show up and didn't really want to...

I agree completely. I would personally rather have a bowl win than a win against a middle of the road Big Ten team like Maryland, Illinois, Purdue etc. I think it does more for the program.

Not just the bowl win but solid performances in the last 4 games.

I'm excited, I'm glad we won. I kinda think GT just didn't show up and didn't really want to...

So all the talk we heard and read before the game, about Georgia Tech wanting to send Paul Johnson out with a win on a big performance, was just hooey?

So all the talk we heard and read before the game, about Georgia Tech wanting to send Paul Johnson out with a win on a big performance, was just hooey?

Not trying to discredit our win but yes, I'd say it was just "hooey."

I am Minnesotan so of course any optimism is guarded (heavily). A million things could go wrong or next year could make the end of the 2018 season look like fool's gold. But, I may be Minnesotan but I will also always have a boyish optimistic side to me and like many, I was fairly enthusiastic about the direction of the program at the end of the year. As I continue to play out next season in my mind, a lot of these internal projections have the Gophers accomplishing big things.

I always have to temper this with the memory of ME posting, and wondering about the direction of things after the Illinois loss. I don't want to be a leaf blowing in the wind but as a fan, that is what I am left to do sometimes. Try not to overreact but overreaction is my continued destiny.

Ok, I'll bite. Their final 8 games (not including the bowl), they were 6-2. That along with winning one for the gipper. Also, not trying in front of a national audience in a bowl game just doesn't add up in a team taking a dive. I'm calling BS on your "hooey".

May I ask if you have any real reason to think Georgia Tech simply didn't care about the game?

Do you see it as possible — theoretically — that Georgia Tech did, in fact, want to win but that the Gophers were simply the better team, and outplayed them soundly?

How about the Minnesota-Wisconsin game? We saw a similar level of domination by the Gophers in that game. Were the Badgers suffering from a lack of motivation as well? If so, they certainly 're-motivated' themselves for their bowl game against Miami...

I am Minnesotan so of course any optimism is guarded (heavily). A million things could go wrong or next year could make the end of the 2018 season look like fool's gold. But, I may be Minnesotan but I will also always have a boyish optimistic side to me and like many, I was fairly enthusiastic about the direction of the program at the end of the year. As I continue to play out next season in my mind, a lot of these internal projections have the Gophers accomplishing big things.

I always have to temper this with the memory of ME posting, and wondering about the direction of things after the Illinois loss. I don't want to be a leaf blowing in the wind but as a fan, that is what I am left to do sometimes. Try not to overreact but overreaction is my continued destiny.

I am optimistic every year. I get down sometimes but never out. I don’t get down on players ever, and usually not the coaches until the off-season. Pollyannish? Maybe. It’s a far better existence.

It was obvious in the first five minutes of the GT game that Minnesota was bigger, faster, and better prepared. That’s a lot. We aren’t going to sneak up on anyone in 2019, but we are going to give every opponent a fight.

May I ask if you have any real reason to think Georgia Tech simply didn't care about the game?

Do you see it as possible — theoretically — that Georgia Tech did, in fact, want to win but that the Gophers were simply the better team, and outplayed them soundly?

How about the Minnesota-Wisconsin game? We saw a similar level of domination by the Gophers in that game. Were the Badgers suffering from a lack of motivation as well? If so, they certainly 're-motivated' themselves for their bowl game against Miami...

The Georgia Tech players made it very clear and public they had no interest and were actually quite upset with in playing in Detroit. They felt they deserved better and I think it showed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The win against Wisconsin did more to help the buzz around the program than any win in since 2003. The bowl game was just a tiny cherry on top of a triple chocolate fudge brownie sunday.

The Georgia Tech players made it very clear and public they had no interest and were actually quite upset with in playing in Detroit. They felt they deserved better and I think it showed.

Really? They "made it clear and public" that they had "no interest"?

Hmmmm... I don't remember it exactly that way.

I know they said they thought they deserved to play in a more prestigious bowl. But it seemed like they were careful to add, "no disrespect to Minnesota". And I never heard anyone say they had "no interest".

Must have missed it.

Personally I think the Gophers just outplayed GT and dominated the game. With that said, teams “not showing up” for bowl games happens in a high percentage of bowl games. All the time. Acting like that claim is so outlandish here is off base.

96af9eb233d1fe5804b0f0f0ad6869a9.gif

Personally I think the Gophers just outplayed GT and dominated the game. With that said, teams “not showing up” for bowl games happens in a high percentage of bowl games. All the time. Acting like that claim is so outlandish here is off base.

Never said the claim was "outlandish".

I simply asked if there was any evidence to support the claim... other than the fact that they lost, and lost big.

I'd ask the same question regarding the claim that it happens in "a high percentage of bowl games".

How do you know that that's the case?

I simply asked if there was any evidence to support the claim... other than the fact that they lost, and lost big.

I'd ask the same question regarding the claim that it happens in "a high percentage of bowl games".

I think the better question is how are you so blind that you don't know that?

Really? They "made it clear and public" that they had "no interest"?

Hmmmm... I don't remember it exactly that way.

I know they said they thought they deserved to play in a more prestigious bowl. But it seemed like they were careful to add, "no disrespect to Minnesota". And I never heard anyone say they had "no interest".

Must have missed it.

You know what I mean. Several of their players took to Twitter to voice their displeasure in the fact that they had to play in Detroit while teams they beat got better bowls. So yes, while I do think we played very well in the game, I also think Tech was at least somewhat disinterested and did not play to the best of their abilities.

I think the better question is how are you so blind that you don't know that?

I'm not the one claiming I can watch a game and just know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, what the players' motivation level is.

That's you!

I politely asked you how you know what you claim to know. It is, after all, a reasonable question. Not to mention a question that you seem unable to answer.

Well, players sitting out of bowl games certainly is one indication of it.

Do you watch many bowl games? Take, for example, this year’s pinstripe bowl. Just one example. It is unfortunate, but it does happen quite a bit.

You know what I mean. Several of their players took to Twitter to voice their displeasure in the fact that they had to play in Detroit while teams they beat got better bowls. So yes, while I do think we played very well in the game, I also think Tech was at least somewhat disinterested and did not play to the best of their abilities.

Yes, they said they were disappointed that they didn't get to play in a better bowl.

If it's me as a player, I'd be motivated to play that much harder in order to show the bowl selection people that they got it wrong.

Do you watch many bowl games? Take, for example, this year’s pinstripe bowl. Just one example. It is unfortunate, but it does happen quite a bit.

Again, I ask the simple question: how are you certain that if Team A loses to Team B, it's a matter of poor motivation... rather than Team B being the better team?

I'm not the one claiming I can watch a game and just know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, what the players' motivation level is.

That's you!

I politely asked you how you know what you claim to know. It is, after all, a reasonable question. Not to mention a question that you seem unable to answer.

It wasn't my claim, you should follow along better.

But it is obvious to anyone who watches bowl games each year. Plus there is the players sitting out of all the bowls.

Now maybe you could answer the question you don't seem to be able to answer?

Better to win a bowl game than lose.
I would’ve rather beaten Illinois and lost in a close game to auburn than been smoked by Illinois to best Georgia tech

Yes, they said they were disappointed that they didn't get to play in a better bowl.

If it's me as a player, I'd be motivated to play that much harder in order to show the bowl selection people that they got it wrong.

You don't play college football. You have no idea.

It wasn't my claim, you should follow along better.

But it is obvious to anyone who watches bowl games each year. Plus there is the players sitting out of all the bowls.

Now maybe you could answer the question you don't seem to be able to answer?

So your answer to my question is: it's obvious.

As far as your question is concerned: it wasn't a question but an insult. It doesn't require a response beyond that.

Last edited:

So your to my question answer is: it's obvious.

Okay... then that's my answer to to whatever question you asked. It's obvious. Plain as the nose on your face.

Wait... what was the question, again?

I don't think you read too good.

Top Bottom