Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 89
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,515
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    "Meaningless" gets tossed around a lot. Technically, if you're not in the NY6, then isn't every game "meaningless"? In the grand scheme of life, is any game truly "meaningful"?

    That said, I would say that there is less meaning in a Bowl win than a B1G win (doesn't anyone listen to Wren???), at least at the Gophers' level. A better conference record with a loss to a closely ranked opponent benefits them more, IMO. Hopefully in the next couple years that may shift, where they are beating ranked teams in Bowl Games to "prove they belong".

    I also think if the Gophers lost a close game to GT, the mood would still be quite good on Gopherhole. If they had been crushed, then yes, the mood would be bad as we'd be questioning whether Rossi belonged...

    Finally, I don't think GT mailed it in. The fundamental problem with the triple option is if defenders close to the line can hold their gaps, you have no real way to win. A more traditional offense (spread, pro style, west coast, etc.) you can make more adjustments to change the philosophy. Anything that's got a reasonable pass component you can figure somebody will get open. But a lot of defending the triple option is having players in the right spot. And the Gophers did that extremely well.


  2. #62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeville Goldy View Post
    "Meaningless" gets tossed around a lot. Technically, if you're not in the NY6, then isn't every game "meaningless"? In the grand scheme of life, is any game truly "meaningful"?

    That said, I would say that there is less meaning in a Bowl win than a B1G win (doesn't anyone listen to Wren???), at least at the Gophers' level. A better conference record with a loss to a closely ranked opponent benefits them more, IMO. Hopefully in the next couple years that may shift, where they are beating ranked teams in Bowl Games to "prove they belong".

    I also think if the Gophers lost a close game to GT, the mood would still be quite good on Gopherhole. If they had been crushed, then yes, the mood would be bad as we'd be questioning whether Rossi belonged...

    Finally, I don't think GT mailed it in. The fundamental problem with the triple option is if defenders close to the line can hold their gaps, you have no real way to win. A more traditional offense (spread, pro style, west coast, etc.) you can make more adjustments to change the philosophy. Anything that's got a reasonable pass component you can figure somebody will get open. But a lot of defending the triple option is having players in the right spot. And the Gophers did that extremely well.
    That's deep.
    Attention: If the above comment sounds puzzling, adjust your sarcasm setting and try again.

    Quote Originally Posted by God View Post
    For you are one of the chosen ones, my son. Please carry my other messages forward and spread them across the land.

    Thou shall not root for the Badgers under any circumstances, whatsoever. Doing so will bring upon my wrath and you suffer from the same plague of obesity, stupidity, and ugliness of the one who leads the razorbacks.

  3. #63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeville Goldy View Post
    "Meaningless" gets tossed around a lot. Technically, if you're not in the NY6, then isn't every game "meaningless"? In the grand scheme of life, is any game truly "meaningful"?

  4. #64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fmlizard View Post
    I think this whole debate is kinda like that old quote "The harder I work, the luckier I get"....in this case "The better I get, the crappier my opponents seem"

    Many people were saying Wisconsin didn't care either when Gophers wrecked them. Perhaps the Gophers getting better suddenly makes our opponents look like hot garbage. No team looks all that good when losing by 3+ touchdowns.
    +10

    My hope is we think every team for the next many years is trash.

  5. #65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeville Goldy View Post
    "Meaningless" gets tossed around a lot. Technically, if you're not in the NY6, then isn't every game "meaningless"? In the grand scheme of life, is any game truly "meaningful"?

    That said, I would say that there is less meaning in a Bowl win than a B1G win (doesn't anyone listen to Wren???), at least at the Gophers' level. A better conference record with a loss to a closely ranked opponent benefits them more, IMO. Hopefully in the next couple years that may shift, where they are beating ranked teams in Bowl Games to "prove they belong".

    I also think if the Gophers lost a close game to GT, the mood would still be quite good on Gopherhole. If they had been crushed, then yes, the mood would be bad as we'd be questioning whether Rossi belonged...

    Finally, I don't think GT mailed it in. The fundamental problem with the triple option is if defenders close to the line can hold their gaps, you have no real way to win. A more traditional offense (spread, pro style, west coast, etc.) you can make more adjustments to change the philosophy. Anything that's got a reasonable pass component you can figure somebody will get open. But a lot of defending the triple option is having players in the right spot. And the Gophers did that extremely well.
    Well...there's the game of life...

  6. #66

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scools12 View Post
    Not every team is motivated for their bowl game. GA Tech made it clear they thought they deserved better. Conference games are more important. I would take any conference win over some lower tier bowl game that has no meaning to the overall season. 7-6 or 6-7 - so what.

    Were people on this board going to be less optimistic going into next season if the Gophers lost the bowl game? They still would be pointing to the finish of the regular season as proof for their optimism.
    Not every team is motivated for every conference game.

    Saying that conference games are more important does not mean that bowl games are meaningless.

  7. #67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoGoGopher12 View Post
    +10

    My hope is we think every team for the next many years is trash.
    I could go for that.

  8. #68

    Default

    Two kinds of people think bowl games are meaningless: people making an excuse for their team losing a bowl game and people trying to poo poo someone else's season that included a bowl win. I'll buy that they matter less than games that affect conference records, but they are as important as non con games because they all count the same in the record.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    10,702

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spoofin View Post
    So there is never a case when a team simply doesn’t “show up”? Was Appalachian State bigger, stronger, faster, or more talented than Michigan in 2007. Some Mountaineer “fans” don’t think so.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I understand your point but I’d argue any team that doesn’t prepare mentally vs perceived inferior opponents is a flawed and overrated team - Michigan like other helmet schools fits that definition frequently. They might win 9 out of 10 in a series, but it’s irrelevant. The Miracle on Ice was a fluke but many people count that as one of the greatest sports moments in history. No asterisks.

  10. #70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pompous Elitist View Post
    I understand your point but I’d argue any team that doesn’t prepare mentally vs perceived inferior opponents is a flawed and overrated team - Michigan like other helmet schools fits that definition frequently. They might win 9 out of 10 in a series, but it’s irrelevant. The Miracle on Ice was a fluke but many people count that as one of the greatest sports moments in history. No asterisks.
    Buster Douglas. 87 Twins.

  11. #71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scools12 View Post
    Not every team is motivated for their bowl game. GA Tech made it clear they thought they deserved better. Conference games are more important. I would take any conference win over some lower tier bowl game that has no meaning to the overall season. 7-6 or 6-7 - so what.

    Were people on this board going to be less optimistic going into next season if the Gophers lost the bowl game? They still would be pointing to the finish of the regular season as proof for their optimism.







    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Actually yes, I am significantly more optimistic about next year and the direction of the program as a whole right now then I would have been if we lost the bowl. I think that’s the case for a lot of people actually.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  12. #72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by die hard gopher View Post
    Actually yes, I am significantly more optimistic about next year and the direction of the program as a whole right now then I would have been if we lost the bowl. I think that’s the case for a lot of people actually.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That may be the case for you but I doubt it’s the case for the majority.

    2014 Gophers went 8-4 amd played in a NYD bowl game where they were throttled by Missouri. Were people less optimistic going into 2015 coming off the Citrus Bowl loss? For the majority the bowl game outcome didn’t change their optimism going into 2015. If the Gophers would’ve loss the game against GA Tech the majority would not be any less optimistic going into 2019.

  13. #73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scools12 View Post
    That may be the case for you but I doubt it’s the case for the majority.

    2014 Gophers went 8-4 amd played in a NYD bowl game where they were throttled by Missouri. Were people less optimistic going into 2015 coming off the Citrus Bowl loss? For the majority the bowl game outcome didn’t change their optimism going into 2015. If the Gophers would’ve loss the game against GA Tech the majority would not be any less optimistic going into 2019.
    If we would have won the Citrus bowl, beaten a top 25 SEC team and won 9 games then there absolutely would have been even more optimism going into the next season than there already was.

  14. #74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scools12 View Post
    That may be the case for you but I doubt it’s the case for the majority.

    2014 Gophers went 8-4 amd played in a NYD bowl game where they were throttled by Missouri. Were people less optimistic going into 2015 coming off the Citrus Bowl loss? For the majority the bowl game outcome didn’t change their optimism going into 2015. If the Gophers would’ve loss the game against GA Tech the majority would not be any less optimistic going into 2019.
    I disagree. Most would still be optimistic, but slightly less so.

    Conversely, by winning the game the Gophers reinforced the feeling that the solid play we all saw at the end of the season was no fluke. We flat-out whipped a decent team that played a style of offense the Gophers rarely see. Good teams employ good preparation and good coaching, and the Gophers certainly had those elements. We showcased our young talent. We got the extra practice time that the coaches were hoping for.

    For Gopher fans, it was fun to watch.
    --------------

    "7 National Titles...

    ... But Let's Not Get Carried Away".

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    6,185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spoofin View Post
    So there is never a case when a team simply doesn’t “show up”? Was Appalachian State bigger, stronger, faster, or more talented than Michigan in 2007. Some Mountaineer “fans” don’t think so.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    What did the talent rankings say?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •