***OFFICIAL MINNESOTA AT NORTHWESTERN IN-GAME THREAD!!!!***

It's come to this: that was a depressing win. I'm generally a positive outlook person, but no one besides Coffey was in double figures. Stull played, Hurt played, but Washington did not. One player on our team dominating the entire game does not speak in any significant way to the possibility of our problems being resolved. Maybe Coffey got in gear tonight but the team did not.

I'd say that's a pretty interesting, and probably understandable, feeling. The team really, really needed this win. If Coffey decided to get this win by stat stuffing, we'll take it but it doesn't make the team better going forward.

It's come to this: that was a depressing win. I'm generally a positive outlook person, but no one besides Coffey was in double figures. Stull played, Hurt played, but Washington did not. One player on our team dominating the entire game does not speak in any significant way to the possibility of our problems being resolved. Maybe Coffey got in gear tonight but the team did not.

This is the first time I've ever heard of a road conference win as depressing.

With Selection Sunday predictin’ and me attendin’ the Gophs are 2-0 in the last two weeks. If anyone wants to fund my travel to Maryland I’ll bring my magic there.

Also not a coincidence that our two best defensive games were against slow, un-athletic teams.

The great defensive teams do it all the time and that is why they win. That is how you actually slow down fast teams is to guard then really tough on every possession.

With Selection Sunday predictin’ and me attendin’ the Gophs are 2-0 in the last two weeks. If anyone wants to fund my travel to Maryland I’ll bring my magic there.

I haven't felt that a national title was within reach... until now

What a strange take. It was a much needed road win, great defense, the game was never in question, and our most important player for this team's success saw some shots go through the hoop. Who cares if IW didn't get playing time, he's obviously not part of Pitino's game plan right now, get over it.

Odd game. Coffey dominated. Rest of the team definitely wore jerseys that matched Coffey’s.

Super concerned by Murphy’s lack of production, again. Is he hurt?

I'd say that's a pretty interesting, and probably understandable, feeling. The team really, really needed this win. If Coffey decided to get this win by stat stuffing, we'll take it but it doesn't make the team better going forward.
Yes - this isnt deep analysis. I have had season tickets for decades, and I just don't have it in me today to be upbeat about this win. This game did not lead me to be excited about the game against Purdue. I mean - Coffey scoring 32 cant be the game plan. But it seems like it kind of is.
(And I had a really excellent day!)

I'll be at the game next week, ready to cheer on the team. Rah

Still beats a loss. Not dead yet!

Odd game. Coffey dominated. Rest of the team definitely wore jerseys that matched Coffey’s.

Super concerned by Murphy’s lack of production, again. Is he hurt?

Well they doubled him every time he got it in the post.
He was bad at passing out of it.

He isn’t ever good far away from the basket.

Their game plan was to take away Murphy. They did. Bad game plan.

Stat stuffing? He had 32 points on 19 shots, that's pretty damn efficient. It absolutely makes this team better going forward to watch our most important player score at a high level.

What a strange take. It was a much needed road win, great defense, the game was never in question, and our most important player for this team's success saw some shots go through the hoop. Who cares if IW didn't get playing time, he's obviously not part of Pitino's game plan right now, get over it.
The fact that we have skittered dangerously close to 'too little too late' probably has something to do with it. I will be as happy as anyone if we beat Purdue next week.
So it doesnt concern you that after Coffey, the next closest was Kalscheur with 7, Oturu, Murphy and Curry had 7, Dupree had 5? That's it. Not sure about this as a game plan.

I thought I was watching girls hockey at the X tonight. The atmosphere was stiflingly quiet and ambivalent. Northwestern seemed disinterested and the Gophers were given a win. Despite Coffey's stats, I'm not convinced he has turned any corner. He simply played against a team that didn't care.
Gophers need to win out in their last two games and win their first B1G tourney game to assure an invitation to the dance.

This is the first time I've ever heard of a road conference win as depressing.
As God and many long time posters here are my witness - I've never posted negatively after a win before ever.

I thought I was watching girls hockey at the X tonight. The atmosphere was stiflingly quiet and ambivalent. Northwestern seemed disinterested and the Gophers were given a win. Despite Coffey's stats, I'm not convinced he has turned any corner. He simply played against a team that didn't care.
Gophers need to win out in their last two games and win their first B1G tourney game to assure an invitation to the dance.

If we win our next 2 games we will be a lock already. Won’t matter what happens in the big ten tournament at that point.

The fact that we have skittered dangerously close to 'too little too late' probably has something to do with it. I will be as happy as anyone if we beat Purdue next week.
So it doesnt concern you that after Coffey, the next closest was Kalscheur with 7, Oturu, Murphy and Curry had 7, Dupree had 5? That's it. Not sure about this as a game plan.

Doesn't bother this fan too much. You go with the hot hand. Last game it was Gabe; tonight it was Coffey. We probably looked "better" in the loss to Rutgers, but the result was pretty distasteful.M

My concern is our uhhmm...bench. OMG.

If we win our next 2 games we will be a lock already. Won’t matter what happens in the big ten tournament at that point.

I think so, too. 10 is the magic number of conference wins including the conference tournament. Easier said than done, though. Thanks to the earlier choking and bed crapping, this is a tough road.

I can’t complain about a win. They needed it and got it. That said NWern is bad terrible and horeshbleep. Give me that Purdue game and I will predict a berth

Gophers had lost 7 of the last 9 against Northwestern. Lost 8 of 9 P5 true road games in 2018-19. This is a big win by those standards.

Why would people be upset by stat stuffing? I never get this take because you need to ride the hot hand, not cool it down to spread the participation trophies around.

This team has been one big block of ice in the shooting department, so if somebody hears up, then go with them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Curry with a couple missed layups

Curry is not close to 100 percent. He makes hisFTs , rebounds , and bangs inside, but is not right. not even close to his Fr. year.

Curry had a chance to elevate for a monster dunk tonight, with zero traffic on the left side tonight and he finished with a nice left handed lay up, like I'd do in my early 50s, rather than a resounding dunk. He has lost his lift. He is at 60 percent of what he was at most.

Still a good player, but I hope his knee is not ruined as does happen at times (Jayson Walton- Clem era)

Last edited:

Might be the dumbest post I've ever read on this message board, and that is saying something. What an absolute moron thing to say. Coffey shot 12-19 from the field and was aggressive early in going to the basket efficiently. He played under control the whole game. When you're playing a game you absolutely have to win, you create shots for your best players, or let them take over naturally. Murphy was double teamed all night, and Northwestern wouldn't allow Kalscheur to get open. The result was Coffey getting the looks. When he's the best player on the floor, great things happen.

Murphy had some good looks that didn't go in, same with Oturu. And again, Murphy had a few shots where he got hacked in the lane and no call.

Any road win in the Big Ten is a good win, I don't care how bad Northwestern is playing or how ugly the game might get. The Gophers were very efficient for the most part. The Wildcats don't have anyone who can make shots, and they're not playing with any confidence. Minnesota shouldn't have to apologize for that. Beat Purdue on Senior Night and you're most likely dancing, regardless of what happens the rest of the way.

I saw the sad looking "screamer" under the basket on the DVR slow down with a bunch of constipated nerdy students behind her and they all were as disinterested as the whole NU team other than Pardon.

A win is a win, but losing at home to worthless Wisconsin killed this season, and nothing is going to bring it back, unless Pitino shocks us. Beating Neb. and Rutgers might have helped, but not crushing an underwhelming Badger team at home set the tone for the rest of the year. Pitino is done, but I will hope for the best.

i'll never forgive Pitino for the the Middle Tennessee NCAA effort (5 vs 12) and being sold on the concept that Stull was a Big Ten level player and second coming of the transfer Akeem Springs, not to mention not having a real plan B at point guard. Who owns this miss, Jeter?

Stull still looks like me out there playing in a Big Ten game. I guess four months was not enough for him to get in shape.

Also, why is Hurt on this team and why is he getting minutes over the towel waving guys at the end of of the bench. Did Pitino really bring this guy in to influence his brother who actually has some talent? I hope not, since Hurt #2 is not coming to Minnesota and Hurt #1 is a good MIAC player at best. I went to see St. Thomas crush Hamline at the Hutton Fieldhouse a month ago, and both teams had at least two players built like Hurt #1, and none of them were afraid to shoot the ball. Hurt #1 would have been the 2nd or 3rd best player on St. Thomas or worse.

Last edited:

Coffey when he is good does look like the best player in the conference. When he’s on his outside shooting makes him dangerous with his ability to drive to the basket. Loved his effort last night.
Murphy gutted out a good defensive and rebounding effort. He had a couple of nice interior passes but it seemed like at least three bad ones as well.
Gabe was well covered all night but had some great steals on defense.
Anyway one down and let’s beat Purdue on Senior night!

I saw the sad looking "screamer" under the basket on the DVR slow down with a bunch of constipated nerdy students behind her and they all were as disinterested as the whole NU team other than Pardon.

A win is a win, but losing at home to worthless Wisconsin killed this season, and nothing is going to bring it back, unless Pitino shocks us. Beating Neb. and Rutgers might have helped, but not crushing an underwhelming Badger team at home set the tone for the rest of the year. Pitino is done, but I will hope for the best.

i'll never forgive Pitino for the the Middle Tennessee NCAA effort (5 vs 12) and being sold on the concept that Stull was a Big Ten level player and second coming of the transfer Akeem Springs, not to mention not having a real plan B at point guard. Who owns this miss, Jeter?

Stull still looks like me out there playing in a Big Ten game. I guess four months was not enough for him to get in shape.

Also, why is Hurt on this team and why is he getting minutes over the towel waving guys at the end of of the bench. Did Pitino really bring this guy in to influence his brother who actually has some talent? I hope not, since Hurt #2 is not coming to Minnesota and Hurt #1 is a good MIAC player at best. I went to see St. Thomas crush Hamline at the Hutton Fieldhouse a month ago, and both teams had at least two players built like Hurt #1, and none of them were afraid to shoot the ball. Hurt #1 would have been the 2nd or 3rd best player on St. Thomas or worse.

At least he Hurt has a basketball IQ, that makes him a functional bench player. Also, I’ve never seen him take a play off on either end of the court. That include last season when the rest of the team went in the tank with “poor me” syndrome. Give the young man some respect. You sound like ymca league guy with a chip on his shoulder.

Might be the dumbest post I've ever read on this message board, and that is saying something. What an absolute moron thing to say. Coffey shot 12-19 from the field and was aggressive early in going to the basket efficiently. He played under control the whole game. When you're playing a game you absolutely have to win, you create shots for your best players, or let them take over naturally. Murphy was double teamed all night, and Northwestern wouldn't allow Kalscheur to get open. The result was Coffey getting the looks. When he's the best player on the floor, great things happen.

Murphy had some good looks that didn't go in, same with Oturu. And again, Murphy had a few shots where he got hacked in the lane and no call.

Any road win in the Big Ten is a good win, I don't care how bad Northwestern is playing or how ugly the game might get. The Gophers were very efficient for the most part. The Wildcats don't have anyone who can make shots, and they're not playing with any confidence. Minnesota shouldn't have to apologize for that. Beat Purdue on Senior Night and you're most likely dancing, regardless of what happens the rest of the way.

Great post Metro! We needed a win no matter how we got it. I got home last night and was reading through this thread and what people were saying and if you asked me how we did I would have said we lost. Last night we were 13-16 from the line. All you hear about are the three misses. Coffey was a one man show last night. Who cares? We won. What does last nights performance have anything to do with our next game. Maybe we play our best game of year next game! Maybe Murphy is a one man show next game and scores 26 with 22 boards and we ONLY win by 1. The negativity on this board is off the charts. Comical! Unfortunately, we have kinda shot ourselves in the foot with Rutgers and nebraska, but we are in a great spot STILL. Play a great game on Tuesday and beat purdue at home and we are looking pretty good. If you would have told me at beginning of year if we beat purdue at home that might get us a bid, where do I sign up? Opportunity is right there for us!

Why would people be upset by stat stuffing? I never get this take because you need to ride the hot hand, not cool it down to spread the participation trophies around.

This team has been one big block of ice in the shooting department, so if somebody hears up, then go with them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I'm not upset nor do I feel the team should have done something else under the circumstances. You always take whatever the defense gives you. I'm just not impressed by this game as some kind of harbinger for the future. Despite having two 30+ games and a 29 point game, Coffey averages only a little over 15 points per game (10th in the conference) because for every game like last night, he has two that are so-so or worse. After his last big scoring game (Rutgers at home), he followed that up with 9 points against Illinois and 11 points against PSU while shooting a combined 5-24 from the field. The conference's second leading scorer, Lamar Stevens, averages 19.9 pts. per game without having a single 30 point game this year but he's had 16 twenty-plus point games compared to Coffey's 6 and he's failed to score in double figures only once this year compared to Coffey's 6.

Last edited:

Top Bottom