JUCO football's cloudy future

Do you pay 10k per year to join the health club while being sold on the idea that you’ll get a college scholarship?

A lot of parents are. Not all parents are doing themselves a disservice.
For a large amount of parents they are doing AAU because someone told them something.

Ironically if they put those thousands of dollars into college saving accounts they’d actually get themselves a half ride or better from their own cash

I don't think it's about the scholarship, in of the idea of getting school paid for, alone.

Rather, I think it's about the scholarship, in the sense of getting to play for the best team you can.

If your son or daughter is pretty good at bball as a middle schooler, and genuinely wants to try to play in college, for the best team he/she can get onto ... and a coach says "hey you know, he/she has a shot ... but you really need to get him/her into a club". And if you can reasonable afford the costs .... are you really going to be like "thanks, but no thanks!" ?? I don't think so.

Do I need to explain the difference between a free "education", where you're required to spend 20hrs per week minimum with team activities, probably more like 60hrs a week in-season, and you're often so exhausted physically and mentally that the education gets your last energy, and so you're actively encouraged to take an "easy" major ....... and going to school like a normal student, where you can prioritize your studies and even have some time left over to be a regular social student?

Also, can't you save some of your earnings in the minor league to pay for school?

Yet people still manage to do it and take advantage of the opportunity despite the hard work. Not to mention that despite the difficulty it has ancillary perks that are better than the people that are working their way through school at a regular job.

And yes of course you could use some of that money for school, but I think we are probably pretty far apart in what we think developmental league football players are going to be paid.

Do I need to explain the difference between a free "education", where you're required to spend 20hrs per week minimum with team activities, probably more like 60hrs a week in-season, and you're often so exhausted physically and mentally that the education gets your last energy, and so you're actively encouraged to take an "easy" major ....... and going to school like a normal student, where you can prioritize your studies and even have some time left over to be a regular social student?

Also, can't you save some of your earnings in the minor league to pay for school?

Can we get a breakdown on this?

Top Bottom