Former Gopher PF Royce White to try MMA, eyes UFC belt

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Former NBA player Royce White says his basketball days are over as he prepares for a career in mixed martial arts.

White, a first-round draft pick of the Houston Rockets in 2012, said he believes he could one day compete for the UFC's heavyweight belt.

"I'm one of the best athletes in the world," White told ESPN's Kevin Arnovitz. "Among the NBA community, part of my appeal as a draft prospect was my unique size, athleticism, vision and that I probably have one of the 10 biggest set of hands in the NBA. I think all of those things will translate beautifully to the UFC."

White, 27, released a book on Wednesday called "MMA x NBA: A Critique of Modern Sport in America." He says he has been training for "six or seven months."

http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/26096053/ex-nba-player-white-try-mma-eyes-ufc-belt

Go Gophers!!

Whatever happened to his music career:confused:

They need to make a reality show out of this. This would be far better entertainment than Jersey Shore or whatever is on now.

I think he’ll find the competition a little tougher than that parking lot security guard he pushed to the ground on video. I hope he can take a punch.

I think he’ll find the competition a little tougher than that parking lot security guard he pushed to the ground on video. I hope he can take a punch.

I hope he takes several.

per ESPN:

Former NBA player Royce White says his basketball days are over

Fiat Turin has signed Royce White to a one-year deal as announced in July, though the two sides have parted ways per the team’s official statement.

White failed to attend the team’s training camp for the upcoming season, thus Turin decided to exclude him from their roster and seek out for a replacement.

27-year-old White was set to make his European debut with the Italian side, arriving from the Canadian League.

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/eurocup/728530/fiat-turin-breaks-contract-with-royce-white/

Last edited:

Considering fighters only have to fight once every few months in UFC, he shouldn’t have to worry about flying to games.

Good landing spot for him. He can beat the crap out of people and won't have to suffer any consequences.

He will try something else right before his first scheduled fight. Just like not showing up in Italy and apparently now the Big Three League.

Good landing spot for him. He can beat the crap out of people and won't have to suffer any consequences.

I'd guess his stand up game would be decent, but I'd have to think those guys with wrestling backgrounds would take him down and pound the **** out of him.

He will try something else right before his first scheduled fight. Just like not showing up in Italy and apparently now the Big Three League.

So he joined the draft pool and a few weeks later decides he's done with basketball. Okay. Probably just wanted his name out there.

Last edited:

Why does this say "former Gopher"? I don't recall this name ever putting on the Maroon and Gold.

Top Bottom