wisconsin quarterback Alex Hornibrook transferring from Badgers football program

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

Wisconsin quarterback Alex Hornibrook is leaving Madison. Hornibrook, who has started 32 games for the Badgers over the last three seasons while going 26-6 in those starts, informed the team of his decision on Wednesday.

"Alex informed us of his decision to leave the team earlier today," said Wisconsin coach Paul Chryst. "He contributed to a lot of our recent success, and we want to thank him for all he did for our program. We wish him the best of luck."

News that Hornibrook had entered the NCAA transfer portal broke Wednesday afternoon, and it wasn't long after that Wisconsin announced he was leaving the program.

Hornibrook was absent four games last season as he dealt with a back injury early in the year, and then missed time due to a concussion. He was replaced by sophomore Jack Coan, who started in Wisconsin's 35-3 win over Miami in the Pinstripe Bowl. There's also incoming QB Graham Mertz, a four-star recruit from Kansas. It's likely Hornibrook would have been competing with both Coan and Mertz this spring had he returned to Madison, and it seems he'd prefer to seek a clearer path to playing time elsewhere.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...k-transferring-from-badgers-football-program/

Go Gophers!!

Actually not sorry to see him go despite the fact Minnesota won this past season. I'd say its a net gain for the Gophers.

Actually not sorry to see him go despite the fact Minnesota won this past season. I'd say its a net gain for the Gophers.

I can see that for maybe a season, but having a top-5 QB recruit in the wait doesn't indicate the QB position will be any worse (and more than likely significantly better) going forward for Wisconsin.

Tough to say what if any real affect this will have on Wisconsin next year. If nothing else it takes a solid, experienced, QB out the mix which will in turn put more pressure on a relatively untested Coan or a true freshman to take the reigns.

I guess this means the Badgers will be younger than the Gophers!

Could have been the injury, but he really seemed to regress this past season. Some really bad decision-making.

I like it. WI have untested QBs with little depth at that position. Mertz may be good, but relying on a true freshman can't be comfortable for Badger fans.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

QBs get banged up. The badgers have lost depth. The fan base did want him pulled and slammed him on twitter during the Axe game though so this isn’t shocking.

I like it. WI have untested QBs with little depth at that position. Mertz may be good, but relying on a true freshman can't be comfortable for Badger fans.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Be careful what you revel in...if Clark isn't good enough to win the job I doubt he stays on as a Gopher as a backup for his career. If Clark wins the job and flourishes, I'd expect Tanner to exit. Many scenarios that you can insert the Gophers in the same "boat". Our offensive tackle may may have just left because he was concerned he'd be a career backup. Gonna happen to everybody...

His concussion history going forward is a red flag. Not sure what school would give him a shot.

Holy cow, Mertz is rated higher than Martinez was. We’re doomed, I’m afraid.

Be careful what you revel in...if Clark isn't good enough to win the job I doubt he stays on as a Gopher as a backup for his career. If Clark wins the job and flourishes, I'd expect Tanner to exit. Many scenarios that you can insert the Gophers in the same "boat". Our offensive tackle may may have just left because he was concerned he'd be a career backup. Gonna happen to everybody...

A offensive tackle, who never played, left. We didn't lose a starting OT.

A offensive tackle, who never played, left. We didn't lose a starting OT.

That is not what 60's Guy was pointing out I believe. He is stating that we have an offensive tackle who gave up fearing that he may be a career back up. This guy who left perhaps could have been a starting tackle if he kept working at it instead of giving up on the Gophers. He is young and some of these guys simply don't develop fully until a year or two later. I personally think he panic instead of sticking with it.

I have mix opinions on the transfer rule. If Clark excels I'm hoping that Tanner doesn't exit as he is one snap injury away from regaining the starting position. We'll have people thinking about transferring instead of thinking what can I do better to make me a better football player to earn a starting position.

That is not what 60's Guy was pointing out I believe. He is stating that we have an offensive tackle who gave up fearing that he may be a career back up. This guy who left perhaps could have been a starting tackle if he kept working at it instead of giving up on the Gophers. He is young and some of these guys simply don't develop fully until a year or two later. I personally think he panic instead of sticking with it.

I have mix opinions on the transfer rule. If Clark excels I'm hoping that Tanner doesn't exit as he is one snap injury away from regaining the starting position. We'll have people thinking about transferring instead of thinking what can I do better to make me a better football player to earn a starting position.

Hornibrook really stunk vs. the Gophers this year. The fan base really got on him after the game - really ripped him. I am not surprised he would want to get out of there but I hope he does not have any NFL aspirations from here.

That's too bad, it was great seeing the stubborn Paul Chryst trot him out there even though he was clearly terrible and held them back offensively. Would have been great watching Wisconsin flounder for at least another season with him at the helm and give us a great chance at keeping the Axe.

That's too bad, it was great seeing the stubborn Paul Chryst trot him out there even though he was clearly terrible and held them back offensively. Would have been great watching Wisconsin flounder for at least another season with him at the helm and give us a great chance at keeping the Axe.

Wasn't Hornibrook 26-6 as a starter? Most teams would love to have a QB that 'holds them back' at that level.

Wasn't Hornibrook 26-6 as a starter? Most teams would love to have a QB that 'holds them back' at that level.

True but I think most bucky fans will tell you they won despite of him instead of because of him. He had a top 5 defense his first 2 seasons, arguably the best rb in the country the last 2, and an above average receiving core. His orange bowl performance got people hopes up but he never lived up to it.

As a Gopher fan, I'm kind of disappointed that he's moving on. That is probably enough evidence to suggest that the Badger fans are right about Hornibrook.

Top Bottom