SI: Fran McCaffery Calls Official a 'Cheating Motherf-----' After Loss to Ohio State

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per SI:

Iowa coach Fran McCaffery wasn't very pleased with the officiating during the No. 22 Hawkeyes' 90–70 loss to Ohio State on Tuesday.

Down 78–67 with 4:08 left to play, the Hawkeyes’ frustrating evening culminated with two McCaffery technical fouls. The first was called on the coach's son, Connor, then on Fran himself in a span of 58 seconds for disputing calls.

After the game, Fran McCaffery was heard screaming at an official walking down a hallway at Value City Arena.

"You cheating motherf------!" McCaffery reportedly yelled. "You're a f------ disgrace!"

The Buckeyes were averaging 63.7 points in conference games entering Tuesday's matchup. They had that many points with just over 10 minutes left to play against Iowa. Ohio State scored 22 points during one stretch of nine possessions to pull away in the second half. Iowa got no closer than 11 points to close out the game.

https://www.si.com/college-basketba...ficial-cheating-disgrace-iowa-loss-ohio-state

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

USA Today: Opinion: Fran McCaffery's latest reported blow-up couldn't come at a worse time for Iowa

Just when you thought you could escape for a few hours to watch a basketball game … another log gets thrown on this week’s public-relations fire for Iowa athletics.

Two McCafferys — Iowa coach Fran and freshman guard Connor — were slapped with technical fouls toward the end of the Hawkeyes’ ugly 90-70 basketball loss to Ohio State on Tuesday night at Value City Arena.

But what happened after the game even had national talking heads, well, talking.

According to Toledo Bladereporter Kyle Rowland, who covers the Buckeyes, McCaffery was following one of the officials down an arena hallway and repeatedly shouting expletives and calling him a "cheating (expletive)" and a "(expletive) disgrace."

To be absolutely clear, I personally didn’t witness the incident. But I spoke with Rowland afterward, and he walked me through everything he heard and saw. He was 100 percent certain of the words used. He said he was working in the media room and turned around upon hearing shouting in the hallway that connects the locker rooms of the teams and officials.

It’s a hallway tucked away from the public, so it’s unlikely more than a handful of people heard the rant.

Rowland — who was the only reporter in the room (I was still in the arena media seating, with most others); another Ohio State employee was there, too, and confirmed the shouting — got out of his seat and followed the commotion. He saw McCaffery walking closely behind the official, who never turned around, and yelling at him before turning left into the Iowa locker room.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...y-ref-rant-outburst-iowa-hawkeyes/3000726002/

Go Gophers!!

While I can't agree with that behavior, good to know we arent the only ones fed up with officiating this year.

Fran is a piece of work

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I love Fran!!

I didn’t see the first half. But saw the second half and without question, the officials were bad, really bad. The Iowa coach will be penalized yet nothing will happen to the official/s. The black official called both technicals, as well as most of the Iowa fouls.
Sad, really sad.

Doesn't seem to me like Iowa lost because of officiating.

Refs didn't let OSU shoot 37.5% on 3s, out rebound Iowa by 10 and have 9 more assists than the Hawkeyes.

Free throws have some serious disparity but OSU hammers the ball inside, Iowa does the opposite. Garza is a big man who hasn't stepped inside the lane in like 10 games.

Last edited:

I love Fran!!

I can't bring myself to hate the guy either.

Watching the Indiana/Wisconsin game last night (which was very well officiated), I felt really bummed that all league games can't get the same benefit of a well-called game. Some of ours have been atrocious.

I don’t mind him either. Standing up for his players and trying the right the BS that does in this conference. They are not one of the “chosen” programs so they are discriminated against just like Minnesota and some of the other ones. Go get em Fran!

per SI:

Iowa coach Fran McCaffery wasn't very pleased with the officiating during the No. 22 Hawkeyes' 90–70 loss to Ohio State on Tuesday.

Down 78–67 with 4:08 left to play, the Hawkeyes’ frustrating evening culminated with two McCaffery technical fouls. The first was called on the coach's son, Connor, then on Fran himself in a span of 58 seconds for disputing calls.

After the game, Fran McCaffery was heard screaming at an official walking down a hallway at Value City Arena.

"You cheating motherf------!" McCaffery reportedly yelled. "You're a f------ disgrace!"

The Buckeyes were averaging 63.7 points in conference games entering Tuesday's matchup. They had that many points with just over 10 minutes left to play against Iowa. Ohio State scored 22 points during one stretch of nine possessions to pull away in the second half. Iowa got no closer than 11 points to close out the game.

https://www.si.com/college-basketba...ficial-cheating-disgrace-iowa-loss-ohio-state

Go Gophers!!
So... it's not just me that thinks the B1G officials are f&cking worthless.
After the Stripe tried to give Nebraska the inbound pass against the Gophers to Nebraska when it missed everyone by 3 feet, I knew the officiating truly sucked.
The Gophers have had more than their fair share of atrocious calls this season. It's making TV Teddy look like a f&cking superstar.

Last edited:

So... it's not just me that thinks the B1G officials are f&cking worthless.
After the Stripe tried to give Nebraska the inbound pass against the Gophers to Nebraska when it missed everyone by 3 feet, I knew the officiating truly sucked.
The Gophers have had more than their fair share of atrocious calls this season. It's making TV Teddy look like a f&cking superstar.

I never thought I'd say this but I miss the Hightower days.

Can someone help me out here? Who was the other official that pissed everyone off? Tim Hilary? Some name like that

While I can't agree with that behavior, good to know we arent the only ones fed up with officiating this year.

The fans of the losing team think the officiating stinks in every game that their team loses.

The fans of the losing team think the officiating stinks in every game that their team loses.
I have watched enough neutral games to definitively state that the B1G officiating has gone to a new low this season.

When the refs are told to call everything, it's easier for them because, wait for it, they call everything. When they are told to let them play, then it becomes more subjective on where you draw the line. Nobody likes the first because the disjointed, stop and go pace but people hate the 2nd when they dont seem to get the same calls and defensive leeway. Tough job but, yes, some of it seems horrid and one-sided.

Like Steve Kerr said yesterday aftergetting into it with Ken Mauer, not sure why anyone would want the job. I think BB is the hardest since it's gotten so physical.

First the Iowa announcer hurls an epithet at a black player, and now Fran yells obscenities at a black official. Sounds like a systemic culture of racism to me. NCAA death penalty for Iowa.

First the Iowa announcer hurls an epithet at a black player, and now Fran yells obscenities at a black official. Sounds like a systemic culture of racism to me. NCAA death penalty for Iowa.
Was Isaiah Rider called "King Bong?"

I never thought I'd say this but I miss the Hightower days.

Can someone help me out here? Who was the other official that pissed everyone off? Tim Hilary? Some name like that

Jim Bain was the scourge of the B10 back in the day. I think others will back me up on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's hard to argue with this logic.

Glad he had the tener cojones to call it out in the open. However, if the Big10 or any other conference cared a wick they'd hold the refs accountable as much as the coaches. Based on how the refs operate it strongly suggests there is no accountability.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I could be wrong but college hoops officials are contracted employees. They can be added or terminated anytime. They don't receive benefits. Which is why a lot of officials do it in multiple leagues/sports.

The head official from the Minneapolis Miracle reffed a Big Ten game a day or two later.

NFL officials aren't full-time employees. Unless the leagues are willing to pay more, offer benefits, 401ks, etc for the officials its a mercenary type of job. So if the Big Ten blast you for missing calls, you go work in the ACC. You still have to have officials so you're hurting yourself by publicly coming out against them.

The Big10 reffing has deteriorated to the point to absurdity. Good on Fran to call it out.

Top Bottom