32 years ago today SMU received the "death penalty"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Looking at the penalties, wow, we'll never see this again. Per Axios Sports:

32 years ago today, the SMU Mustangs were sentenced to the "death penalty" by the NCAA after an investigation revealed the school paid 13 players, including NFL Hall of Fame running back Eric Dickerson, a total of $61,000 funded by boosters.

Details: The penalties didn't stop at the cancellation of the 1987 season. They also included:

Canceling home games in 1988.
A bowl and live TV ban until 1990.
55 lost scholarships over a four year period.
Off-campus recruiting was banned until August 1988.
Boosters were banned from interacting with or contacting the program.

Go Gophers!!

And somehow this was considered worse than Penn St...

I think North Carolina basketball was just as bad as the SMU situation.

And somehow this was considered worse than Penn St...

I think North Carolina basketball was just as bad as the SMU situation.

I had a couple thoughts pop into my head and I was going to say something but this pretty much covers it. I've lost a lot of respect for the NCAA with the double standard they use when the problems involve iconic programs.

errrrrrors

Last edited:

I think it's crazy that SMU football never recovered from this really, but UAB went 11-3 and won their league only a year after having to totally restart their program.

Also, the death penalty over 13 kids getting less than 5 grand each? I made more than that playing Counter-Strike in the dorm lobby Freshman year.

As far as cheating... SMU basically ignored the NCAA's first punishment and doubled down and kept at it.

Like if you're going to earn the death penalty SMU tried really hard.

Penn St, North Carolina, and Miami all should have received the death penalty. It’s really unfortunate the ncaa basically had its nuts cut off after the smu case.

brought karon riley and jack brewer to the gophers

Top Bottom