Doogie on Pitino's future, feedback from agent of HC who would be on candidate list

BleedGopher

Reaction score
In his latest Scoops Podcast, Doogie talked about Pitino's job security. Here is an overview of what he said. This is not verbatim, but it is close:

- He texted with an agent of a HC who if you were putting together a short list for Minnesota candidates, this HC would be on the list. That agent said "I have heard it both ways. Lately I have heard he will stay, but hard to say for sure. There is a sense that eventually Mark Coyle wants to bring in his own coach."

- Doogie said maybe the Gophers do win 2 of last 3 and maybe they win a game or two in Chicago. Maybe they shock us and win an NCAA Tournament game. So much can still happen. Would I personally bet on them making a run? Maybe, Doogie said. There will be some teams that make the NCAA Tournament with shaky resumes. Maybe the Gophers have a chance. If they get in, maybe Coyle says "I really enjoy Richard Pitino" (which he does, according to Doogie), Doogie said he has an opportunity to bring in some spring recruits, Carr next year, Vandy transfer next year, Gabe's development, Oturu's development, Amir is back, yea he took a step back this year but he's a senior next year. There is something there to work with.

- Doogie said "I think it's up in the air. Do I think Mark Coyle has his own personal short list? I do, I really believe that. I think Coyle will absolutely let the season play out."

https://www.podcastone.com/the-scoop

Go Gophers!!

doogie with ground breaking journalism right there

This may sound stupid, but I'm either in off-season, you extend him, or you fire him.

If you don't extend him, his future looks murky which I think negatively impacts recruiting

doogie with ground breaking journalism right there

This may sound stupid, but I'm either in off-season, you extend him, or you fire him.

If you don't extend him, his future looks murky which I think negatively impacts recruiting

I agree. But if you give a Brewster-like extension (where the years go up but the buyout stays the same) it doesn't really help. Opposing coaches will still hammer him with it.

Doogie is so bad. I wish he’d go away.

He said nothing in all of that. Never takes a stance. Just says after the fact he knew what was going on.

Gophers may make the tournament, or maybe they won't. So maybe he'll still be here next year, or maybe he won't.

A bunch of gobbly-goop. He's really going out on a limb.

I agree. But if you give a Brewster-like extension (where the years go up but the buyout stays the same) it doesn't really help. Opposing coaches will still hammer him with it.

In reality, idk how many guys are coming here to play for Pitino. We’re kind of hoping guys are coming here to play for the U (like the MN kids were targeting). So idk how much it matters

Doogie is so bad. I wish he’d go away.

He said nothing in all of that. Never takes a stance. Just says after the fact he knew what was going on.

Doogie has no real sources. His sources have always been agents of coaches who are only sources to use him as leverage.

It's like when we hired Pitino.

Doogie brought up Hoiberg's name, Hoiberg got a raise.
Doogie brought up Flip's name, Flip got a raise.

So, I have no doubt that agent gave Doogie this nothing bit of info.

Doogie has no real sources. His sources have always been agents of coaches who are only sources to use him as leverage.

It's like when we hired Pitino.

Doogie brought up Hoiberg's name, Hoiberg got a raise.
Doogie brought up Flip's name, Flip got a raise.

So, I have no doubt that agent gave Doogie this nothing bit of info.

Flip didn't have a job to get a raise and was going to take the Gophers job until Glen Taylor came in. Hoiberg's wife was interested in moving back to the twin cities and that is where that came from. He didn't care about his raise, he just wanted to get to the NBA. I do agree that Doogie is worthless.

Here’s my big time in depth insider reporting, he’s gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom