Harbaugh vs PJ

alchemy2u

Reaction score
Was watching part of the All or Nothing series on Michigan 2017 season. It is interesting to get an inside look at a B1G program, but boy is Harbaugh is dork. You can see why PJ emphasis is on relating to the players and making them remember the moments. Harbaugh reminds me of that ditzy lecturer that just puts the players to sleep. Their DC is a yeller but he sure produces good defenses, it sure helps when you have very good recruits. It may sound silly, but I like PJ’s approach much better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jim is kinda weird, I think he plays it up for the camera, but I also think the players really want to play for him. He might be weird, but I think he is proven enough that folks like it.

College football loves weird coaches.

PJ is a more likeable kind of weird. Harbaugh is just creepy. I'm surprised he hasn't done better at Michigan. I really thought he'd take them to the same level as Ohio State.

Granted that PJ is different but I do believe in him. This may more belong in the Kill slams PJ thread, but the biggest thing that stands out to me that the players like him and believe he's authentic is the youngest Winfield walking on. After all Jr went through, he came back and now his younger brother is walking on when I'm sure he could've gotten a scholarship to NDSU type school. Also, Sr Winfield has been around the block a few times and I think he would have steered his kids elsewhere if he thought PJ was a putz or phony.

PJ is a more likeable kind of weird. Harbaugh is just creepy. I'm surprised he hasn't done better at Michigan. I really thought he'd take them to the same level as Ohio State.

Outside of talking a team with a hot QB to the Superbowl, what has Harbaugh accomplished at an OSU level?

Outside of talking a team with a hot QB to the Superbowl, what has Harbaugh accomplished at an OSU level?

2010 Stanford finished 12-1 and 4th in the final BCS rankings, only losing to Oregon, whose only loss was in the National Championship game to Cam Newton's Auburn.

He built SDSU Stanford into great teams. At Stanford he upset USC at least twice I can remember and won an Orange Bowl.

He does seem a bit medicated at times. Michigan has suffered due to Urban being at OSU. We will see if the Day regime can continue their incredible winning percentage. I doubt it.

In watching that show Harbaugh is just so strange. He is totally awkward and looks out of place most of the time. His motivational speeches are very lackluster and they just go off on a tangent. I really have my doubts about how far he can take Michigan.

On another note. Everyone takes about “The Game” as being one of the best rivalries in college football. Michigan is 2-16 over the last 18 years. Using GH logic, how can that be a rivalry if only one teams wins?

In watching that show Harbaugh is just so strange. He is totally awkward and looks out of place most of the time. His motivational speeches are very lackluster and they just go off on a tangent. I really have my doubts about how far he can take Michigan.

On another note. Everyone takes about “The Game” as being one of the best rivalries in college football. Michigan is 2-16 over the last 18 years. Using GH logic, how can that be a rivalry if only one teams wins?

I know Michigan fans who have said the game just isn't as big deal historically for the same reason you noted. They get excited for it, but it's just ... less because of the results now.

I was really hoping Harbaugh would replace Bielema as the Big 10 coach who I'd like to hate.
It hasn't happened and I doubt that it will. Harbaugh is milquetoast. I thought he'd be a little salty. Nope, he is as boring as his wardrobe.
He needs to beat OSU. He needs to beat them this year. It is strange for me to say, but I'm rooting g for him.
I think I'm just going to hate on the Indiana coach. I have no good reason but we don't have any characters left in the Big 10.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That rivalry ebbs and flows. Mich had quit a run right before that period.

He certainly needs to get off the schneid with OSU, but he's got more B1G victories than his two predecessors combined, in basically half the number of seasons.

Plus he's finally got all his own recruits...:rolleyes:

Harbaugh is a great football coach. He took over programs at SDSU and Stanford and made them great. He was a blackout away from winning the Super Bowl. Urban Meyer just proved himself better and now that he's gone, I suspect Harbaugh and Michigan will start racking up some wins in that series.

Harbaugh is a great football coach. He took over programs at SDSU and Stanford and made them great. He was a blackout away from winning the Super Bowl. Urban Meyer just proved himself better and now that he's gone, I suspect Harbaugh and Michigan will start racking up some wins in that series.

He’ll lose again this year and then off to the pros.

That rivalry ebbs and flows. Mich had quit a run right before that period.

As did the Gophers over Wisconsin, but you would never know from GH.

Harbaugh puts Fleck to shame in the child-bearing hips department.

Harbaugh puts Fleck to shame in the child-bearing hips department.

Thanks to...
2aafz0k.jpg

One could argue that his current Michigan job is the only position he hasn't succeeded at and 3 of his 4 seasons have been 10-3, which isn't exactly failing, but not meeting the expectations.

Not impressed.

Not about impressing you. You made a statement. It was proved wrong.

Ohio State during the Urban Meyer era had an average finish of 4.9 in the final poll. Harbaugh finished 4th with Stanford in 2010. That is accomplishing something at an Ohio State level.

Outside of some B1G Championships, bowl wins, and a national championship what has OSU accomplished in recent years at an OSU level?

Taking an NFL team to the Super Bowl is kind of a big deal. And, I was very impressed with the foundation he created at Stanford. All that being said, as others have commented - I find him sort of weird.

The Super Bowl blackout arguably helped the 49ers more than the Ravens. Baltimore was crushing San Fran 28-6 at the time, but the delay killed their momentum and the 49ers scored 17 unanswered after play resumed. Without the blackout I doubt SF would've made it a game.

The Super Bowl blackout arguably helped the 49ers more than the Ravens. Baltimore was crushing San Fran 28-6 at the time, but the delay killed their momentum and the 49ers scored 17 unanswered after play resumed. Without the blackout I doubt SF would've made it a game.

Without the blackout San Francisco would’ve won the game.
The break made Baltimore more well rested and able to withstand the comeback attempt.

See I can speculate based on nothing at all too

Not about impressing you. You made a statement. It was proved wrong.

Ohio State during the Urban Meyer era had an average finish of 4.9 in the final poll. Harbaugh finished 4th with Stanford in 2010. That is accomplishing something at an Ohio State level.

He has a propensity for falling short in big games. When he needed to come through, he didn't on any consistent basis. It's been a pattern his whole coaching career. If Kaepernick hadn't fallen into his lap and had a career year no one expected, he never would have sniffed a Super Bowl appearance as an NFL coach.

I'll give you some credit for the Stanford 2010 season and helping Andrew Luck become one of the best CFB players in history, though the PAC 10/12 has traditionally been a weak league this century. But they couldn't get it done against the Ducks and that's been the story of his enigmatic coaching career.

Outside of some B1G Championships, bowl wins, and a national championship what has OSU accomplished in recent years at an OSU level?

Taking an NFL team to the Super Bowl is kind of a big deal. And, I was very impressed with the foundation he created at Stanford. All that being said, as others have commented - I find him sort of weird.

And people think I'm not easily impressed. :rolleyes:

Harbaugh comes across as a kind of nutty professor, but he is a fiery dude. Anybody who remembers him as a young NFL quarterback going jaw-to-jaw with Mike Ditka on the sideline knows that.

I think he's a different kind of different when the cameras are off.

I do sort of feel like he’s on a Les Miles / Tubby Smith career trajectory, but he did some work on recruiting trail so I guess we’ll see...

Top Bottom