Q&A with Darrell Thompson: I do not miss class… Just walking to and from it.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per GopherSports. I love his answer about what he misses most about attending the U!

What is it you honestly miss most about the University?
I miss walking to class and laughing with my friends, teammates, and classmates. I do not miss class… Just walking to and from it. That was pretty much my favorite part of the school day.

If you could give the current student-athletes any piece of advice, what would it be?
Don't wait until you graduate to get involved with the community. Take time to build relationships in the community and with people outside your sport as well. You will reap the benefits the rest of your life.

What was your favorite university or athletic event you've attended since you graduated and what made it so special to you?
My favorite events are when we get together with student athletes from different generations and have an opportunity to catch up and share experiences. A time to laugh, connect, help each other in life and business. I also enjoy getting together with the younger student athletes to hopefully guide them on their journey.

What are you grateful for?
I am thankful for a wonderful wife and four children that bring us great joy. I am also most grateful for the opportunity to go to school. Build relationships in the business community and hopefully make a difference.

What does Black History Month mean to you?
Black History Month means a great deal to me. When I think about the sacrifices men and women made before me, I am humbled. From Jack Trice to Sandy Stephens, Bobby Bell, Carl Eller and Ezel Jones. I stand on their shoulders and I am eternally grateful.

What occupies your time now?
I am the President of a youth organization called Bolder Options. The top mentoring program in the State of Minnesota. www.bolderoptions.org

https://gophersports.com/news/2019/2/25/football-black-history-month-darrell-thompson.aspx

Go Gophers!!

This former Packer was more coherent than the other Packer interviewed earlier this month.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Have mix opinions on this take. Doesn't say anything that he appreciates the academic portion of his student life to enhance his future. Everything about hanging out, having fun etc. Maybe I read all this wrong. Just thinking for someone who is heavily involved in a mentor's program, you would think he would say something about the classroom.

Have mix opinions on this take. Doesn't say anything that he appreciates the academic portion of his student life to enhance his future. Everything about hanging out, having fun etc. Maybe I read all this wrong. Just thinking for someone who is heavily involved in a mentor's program, you would think he would say something about the classroom.

I took it as kind of a joke, but that doesn’t translate well in print. There is a desperate need for mentor ship and guidance not only in the black community but in every community. Now, I can think of a couple very prominent former players, a DB and RB, that probably shouldn’t be around impressionable young children considering some videos and interviews that were shared here in recent months.

I took it as kind of a joke, but that doesn’t translate well in print. There is a desperate need for mentor ship and guidance not only in the black community but in every community. Now, I can think of a couple very prominent former players, a DB and RB, that probably shouldn’t be around impressionable young children considering some videos and interviews that were shared here in recent months.

Agree.

Yeah - I think he was just joking around about that. I'm sure he understands the importance of attending class and has some appreciation for it. Kind of like when you ask your kid what his favorite part of school was and he says lunch or recess.

Yeah - I think he was just joking around about that. I'm sure he understands the importance of attending class and has some appreciation for it. Kind of like when you ask your kid what his favorite part of school was and he says lunch or recess.

True. I get where you're coming from. I do believe Thompson however blew a chance to promote education due to his current position. He is an adult not a kid.

Last edited:

I know him quite well too, and have for many years.
I don't know him well, we've crossed paths over the years. We both mentored a young man that was in the Bolder Options program. I know him well enough to know that he values education.

Don't wait until you graduate to get involved with the community. Take time to build relationships in the community and with people outside your sport as well. You will reap the benefits the rest of your life.

Fabulous advice.

i totally miss the u campus and walking to and from class. very unique campus.

loved my classes too, though.

fo those of you who went to the u, what were the buildings and places that you spent the most time in and had the best memories?

I studied classics, so the newly remodeled nicholson building was where i spent the most time hanging out and taking classes. before that, most of my language classes were in folwell hall, which was a really cool old building with a lot of marble. i also studied history so i spent a decent amount of time on the west bank, but anderson hall was bleak, and the social science buildings were pretty gross in general. the law school building was a good place to study. i also spent a lot of time in the wilson library, but it wasn't the most studying friendly library.

Fabulous advice.

I agree but instead people are fixated on him not saying he liked going to class...

I didn't go to the U, but loved my college experience... I also loved my high school experience, but with that being said I hated going to class, doing homework, etc. It's a necessary evil and I think most people understand what DT was saying.

The word class is italicized, so clearly tongue in cheek. He answered later that he's most grateful for the opportunity to go to the U.

The networks you make are far more important than the grades you make.

Lets just agree that Thompson is a great guy, enjoyed campus life, a valuable member of the football team, can't say a graduate of the U as I don't think he graduated. Doing great things for Boulder Options where many people are grateful for the work that he has done.

Top Bottom